Phidgets Plugin Discussion

Posted on
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:33 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Phidgets Plugin Discussion

landry wrote:
...On another note, i purchased an sbc4 after a discussion with Brian about your plug in. He says it should work since the new sbc comes preloaded with phidget21 libraries and as long as i use supported sensors connect to usb devices everything should work. I'll let you you know. I want to to use a thermocouple in this project and I'll have to use a reader that has analog or 0-5 V retransmission ouput for now . Phidgets has a new RTD and thermocouple phidget that uses VNT so I am enthusiastically supporting your effort to update to VNT.

You have the greatest plug in !!

I want two thank you for your hard work I want to wish you and your family a great new year and hopefully 2020 will be a blur in our past!
Thanks for the news and the compliment. Glad you figured out the problem with the Frequency counter. Makes sense, But, I wouldn't have though of it.

2.2 still going slowly. but not dead.

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:53 am
landry offline

Hi Berkinet

Happy New year

I keep forgetting to ask you this. I need a python script that will toggle the Phidget Plug In. Then t I can call up it in an action list remotely from Indigo touch.

Thanks in advance

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:26 am
berkinet offline

landry wrote:
Hi Berkinet

Happy New year

I keep forgetting to ask you this. I need a python script that will toggle the Phidget Plug In. Then t I can call up it in an action list remotely from Indigo touch.
And Happy New Year to you as well. When you say "toggle" do you mean stop and restart? If so, that would be an Indigo call. I should know it, but at the moment can't recall and I am away from the house. Perhaps someone else here knows, or you can post in a more general topic.

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:31 am
mpleeds offline

Update on conversion to Phidgets 1048 temp. sensor:

I finally had some time to finish converting my sauna temperature control from the imperfect (wireless) RFX / Maverick BBQ probe to (wired) K thermocouple / Phidget 1048 temp. sensor, and couldn't be happier with the results so far. Here are a few pointers that may be useful to anyone who is interested in this type of temp. monitoring setup:

1. For long runs (especially if near any electrical wires, as in my case) use SHIELDED & TWISTED K type thermocouple extension wire (I purchased 20g from Automation Direct @ $.51 ft with free shipping). I originally purchased non-shielded K ext. wire and found the EMF noise to be excessive, causing unacceptably rapid fluctuations in temp. readings by ± 5* F.

2. Make sure that you connect the extension wire's stranded ground drain to the LOW VOLTAGE ground on Phidgets 1048 sensor input as well as the outer sheathing of the thermocouple itself (for non-grounded thermocouples only), otherwise the EMF noise will not be mitigated.

3. Properly connect polarities between thermocouple / ext. wire / 1048 sensor. Failure to do so will result in inaccurate temp. readings (mine was ± 7* F higher when polarity was reversed). Type K thermocouple ext. wire's yellow lead is always positive, and plugs into the 0-3 terminals on 1048 sensor.

In addition to converting over to Phidgets for sauna temp. control, I have been pleased with the performance of their 888 interface which replaced my defective EasyDAQ for well water usage logging / leak alarm (digital I/O), and Indigo controlled water valve operation via Phidgets relay board.

Thank you Berkinet for creating and supporting this plugin. Looking forward to future (2.2 / VINT) enhancements.

Posted on
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:47 am
berkinet offline

mpleeds wrote:
Update on conversion to Phidgets 1048 temp. sensor:....

Excellent write-up. Thanks for the contribution.

Posted on
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:38 pm
landry offline

H Berkinet

I know I'm a little ahead here but after talking to Brian at Phidgets who informed me the SBC4 has 21 libraries installed and usb phidgets were compatible with those libraries, so I thought I give it a try . No worries here my expectations were low. for my new project.

So here is what i tried,
1. Connected a phidget interface 8/8/8 with 6 ports to a SBC4 by USB.
2 Set up the SBC 4 in my LAN network with with static Ip
3. MacOS Phidget control panel was used to connect and all ports were available as well as t VNT.
4. Made a new Phidgets Plug Device in Indigo and I used SBC2 as my selection, the only logical one to use ,, right ?
5 Since there was no real built in interface except VNT , I used the serial number of the USB attached and IP number of the SBC4.
6. The new device was online !

The not so good news
Heres the take home message, The ReafIfConfig did not open any ports, and on the MacOs phidgets control panel, when I selected any port on the 8/8/8 interface connected too SBC4 , I got the the following error message :
Network device: <1010/1018/1019 (PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8) v904 S/N:594364> on Server: <ABCphidgetsbc> open failed. Error details from server: Local device: <1010/1018/1019 (PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8) v904 S/N:594364> open failed because device is in use. Check that the Phidget is not already open in another program, such as the Phidget Control Panel, or another program you are developing.v

I guess I was developing, no worries, I just turned off comm for the new device and toggled Phidget plug in on then off and the control panel was back to normal.

So for for my a loaded question ..Is it a lot to create code for SBC4 dealing with just phidgets connected to the usb and ignoring built in VNT for now ?
For now I'll look for a used SBC3 for my next project.

I hope some of the this info was helpful and again no worries, obviously i was not following protocol here;

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:28 am
landry offline

Hi Berkinet

I tried one more way. I created a phidgets device choosing the Interface 8/8/8 with 6 port and entered the serial number and IP number. The device displayed online and I now could open the Read ifKit Config. I did connect one 0-5 volt sensor and created a device the value read 0. However, same error showed in all the ports in the MaoOS Phidgets control panel.

So this set up is no different than connecting to another computer with a phidget interface connected by USB. A SBC4 shrould have worked if its no different than any other OS or Debian linux on the network, Something different about an SBC4. You probably already know this.

hope any of this helps in your development.

I humbly, and patiently await your new developments hope 2021 is a good year for you

Posted on
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 am
berkinet offline

landry wrote:
...I tried one more way. ...
It sounds like the 2.1 libs on the SBC4 are not on the same version as you are running on the Mac. Check to be sure you have the latest version and you might ask Brian if he has found any incompatibilities with older versions of the client libs. Regarding modifying the plugin for the SBC4... Since I do not have one, it is not likely. I am hoping to get back to the 2.2 project soon. The delay has mostly been my co-conspirator, who has gotten tied up in a major (I.e. paying) project. But, he should have some free time soon, and we can hopefully get something out, at least as an alpha trial the current code is at the proof of concept lever, and does, at least, work. But, we need to finalize the architecture and doa lot of interface work.

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 am
mpleeds offline

I just discovered momentary detachment between my 888 interface and Mac Mini 2018. (via USB hub). This disconnection is usually occurring at least once per day, going back to my oldest archived event log from Dec 25, 2020.

Swapping USB cables / ports did not fix the issue. I can replicate this either by manually unplugging the USB connector from hub or by temporarily disconnecting the 888 AC adapter from outlet.

Here is what is being reported to event log. Enabling "low-level Phidgets libs logging" does not yield any additional information:

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:52:39 AM
Z-Wave received "Washer Smart Switch" power load to 1.308 W
Trigger Washer Switch Watts
Phidgets Plugin TempSensor ErrorTempSensor Phidgets Temp Sensor has been detached
Phidgets Plugin ifKit Error InterfaceKit "Phidgets 888" has been detached
Phidgets Plugin ifKit Error InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" has been detached and connected device "House Water" is no longer available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit Error InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" has been detached and connected device "House Water Valve" is no longer available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit Error InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" has been detached and connected device "Irrigation Water " is no longer available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit Error InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" has been detached and connected device "Irrigation Water Valve" is no longer available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" is now attached
Phidgets Plugin ifKit InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" is attached and connected device "House Water" is now available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" is attached and connected device "House Water Valve" is now available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" is attached and connected device "Irrigation Water " is now available
Phidgets Plugin ifKit InferfaceKit "Phidgets 888" is attached and connected device "Irrigation Water Valve" is now available
Phidgets Plugin TempSensor TempSensor Phidgets Temp Sensor is now attached

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Merrill

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:57 am
berkinet offline

mpleeds wrote:
I just discovered momentary detachment between my 888 interface and Mac Mini 2018. (via USB hub). This disconnection is usually occurring at least once per day, going back to my oldest archived event log from Dec 25, 2020.

Swapping USB cables / ports did not fix the issue. I can replicate this either by manually unplugging the USB connector from hub or by temporarily disconnecting the 888 AC adapter from outlet.

...Suggestions?l
This is a Phidgets issue. You need to take it up with them.

Posted on
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:06 am
landry offline

hi Berkinet

Back to the SBC4, I found plenty of used SBC3's on line and now have a couple on hand and the SBC4 is just collecting dust. Here is my email:
landry_d@comcast.net. The SBC4 is yours if you want it for development work. I only use phidgets with Indigo so sbc4 is useless to me. Just drop me your mailing info and I send it i your way .

happy coding !!

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:46 pm
landry offline

Hi Berkinet

Regarding the SBC4

I got a work around and i have sensors working on a PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8 w/6 Port Hub connected to the SBC 4.

If i want to see the sensors status in the ports within the Phidgets OS Control Panel;
1. In the plug in the main window, Click on Com Enable box for the the interface only ( don't need to click com enable box of devices/sensors connected to the interface)
2. Reload Phidget Plug in Plug Pull down menu .
3 Open the Phidgets OS Control Panel and navigate to the right sbc and open the phideget connected and i can see the status of all the ports with no busy error from use from another application.
4 All sensor values match the values in your plug in.
5. To go back: I close the Phidgets OS Control Panel; click on the Com Enable Box for the interface in the plugin and reload the Phidget Plug in Plug Pull down menu .

Voila! plug in working fine. It seems that the Control Control Panels cant open a port for viewinging when the Phidgets plug in is communication port is active for the interface in question ( only for SBC4 usb interfaces) . Again I am not using any VNT port since they need 22 libraries.

Back in business !!
I hardly ever look at ports in the control panel unless its a new set up or I am problem shooting when connection sare not working So this work around is minor issue with me.

...great plug in !!!

Posted on
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:03 pm
landry offline

Big Sur is a go !

No problems with the Indigo phidget plug in for all sbc3's / macOS version 11.2.2.

Can't say the same for phidgets control panels in the macOS, The sbc3's do not show up in the control panels however the SBC4 shows up. You can see the SBS3 in the control panel by using the web interface and navigating to the java control panel.

You have to turn phidgets plug off in Indigo to be able to access the interface ports on the Mac for sbcs4 and now the sbc3s you have to do the same.

FYI Berkinet

Happy coding and stay safe!

Posted on
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:29 pm
berkinet offline

Phidget22 support

Posted on
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is great – thanks for updating the plugin!