Some Very Basic Help

Posted on
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:52 pm
jltnol offline

Some Very Basic Help

So I'm working on trying to get this to work, and from what I can tell this is the plugin I've been looking for. While I am not new to Indigo, nevertheless I've run into a dead end with this plugin, no doubt due to my mis-reading of something.

I've created a new Matplotlib device, and called it CVS Engine #1(for starters)

In this device, I've added a title, chosen an ID device, and the data from that device I'd like to track, then clicked the Add Item icon. I've done this to just a handful of devices to start. After this, I've clicked on the SAVE button.

Next, I'm trying to produce a graph.

Back in Devices, I click NEW, with type Matplotlib, Model Line Chart, Give it a nifty name, then click the Edit Device Settings. I'm leaving everything As Is, with the exception of selecting Y Axis and X Axis, both of which I haven't re-named just yet.

Down on the Line 1 Box, in the Data Source Popup, I got nothing. I understand SOMETHING should be here... I'm guessing each of the devices from my CVS Engine #1 should be here, but they are not.

Back on the Plugin Config, I select Enable All Devices, but still have no Data Sources to choose.

In the Matplotlib folder selected in the plugin, I see three CVS files that match the devices I selected in the CVS Engine #1, but again... I got no data in the Data Source Popup.

I think I'm more close to getting this to work than not, but clearly I've made a mistake somewhere and don't know where.

Any suggestions ? Your help is very much appreciated.

UPDATE

Ok
So I had a bad path for the CVS files, got that fixed and now get this error, regardless of the data I choose to use to plot:

Matplotlib Critical Error [Chart #1] could not convert string to float: disarmed

Again.. any suggestions?

Posted on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Some Very Basic Help

Hey there - sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the plugin. For starters, let's have a look at a few things.

1. First, please look at the plugin log to see if there's additional insight to be gained about the error. It can be found in the logs folder for the plugin -- replacing the 7.2 as needed for your version of Indigo. Is there a more detailed error logged there?
    Code: Select all
    /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2/Logs/com.fogbert.indigoplugin.matplotlib/plugin.log
  2. Second, of the values that you're trying to chart, please make sure it's a value than can be charted. The plugin should work with integers, floats, and booleans as well as strings such as 'True', 'On', 'Open', etc. Maybe you've stumbled across a value I didn't anticipate.
  3. Third, let's take a look at the actual CSV files that are being saved to ensure that they're formatted properly. They should be formatted something like this:
    Code: Select all
    Timestamp,Name
    2019-03-27 01:23:45.67890,1.0
    2019-03-27 01:24:45.67890,1.1
    2019-03-27 01:25:45.67890,1.2
If the CSV files are improperly formatted, you can try to edit them by hand or (much easier) delete the files and let the plugin create new ones.

Thanks for giving the plugin a try. We'll get you going.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:11 am
DaveL17 offline

Looking at this again, I think I've figured it out (the coffee is finally kicking in.) 'Armed' and 'Disarmed' are not currently supported values for charting.

I've just added them ('Armed' = 1 and 'Disarmed' = 0) and they'll be available in the next version which I plan to post soon. I'm stunned that it's taken this long for someone to report this one. :D

Posted on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:00 am
jltnol offline

Ahhhhhhh!!!

NOW I see! "Disarmed" in the error message was a state I was using as a test. Not that the plugin or the graph was being disarmed or disabled!

Ok, so I've deleted both previously created devices.

Created a new CVS device, added in only "number" devices. (temp 1 and temp2), have created a new line graph device using only temp 1 and temp2 as data points, set the plugin to update every 60 seconds (just for now), and now I have my 1st Chart!!!! Just two parallel lines at the moment, but I see what I was doing wrong.

And I guess now would be a good time to manually delete all the CVS files to get rid of the older ones, including the Alarm State file.

Generally speaking, is it ok to have just one CVS file Device adding everything you want to chart, and then as many Chart Devices as necessary? or should one generally create a CVS File Device for each graph?

This will be fun!!! :). As always, thanks for. your help!

Posted on
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:39 pm
DaveL17 offline

Created a new CVS device, added in only "number" devices. (temp 1 and temp2), have created a new line graph device using only temp 1 and temp2 as data points, set the plugin to update every 60 seconds (just for now), and now I have my 1st Chart!!!!

Glad you were able to get something useful! Make sure to take a look at the plugin Wiki, too. There's stuff there that you might find helpful.

And I guess now would be a good time to manually delete all the CVS files to get rid of the older ones, including the Alarm State file.

Don't forget to take them out of the CSV Engine device, or they'll keep coming back. :D

Generally speaking, is it ok to have just one CVS file Device adding everything you want to chart, and then as many Chart Devices as necessary? or should one generally create a CVS File Device for each graph?

I definitely wouldn't create a CSV Engine for each chart, that's totally overkill. Generally, the thought behind that is to combine like frequencies into one CSV Engine device. For example, one that updates every 15 minutes and another that updates once a day--stuff like that. I'd also point out that you can also use other means to create CSV data and save it to the same folder, the plugin can work with that too. Just make sure that it follows the proper format (instructions on the Wiki.) Lastly, if you're so inclined, you can also use the plugin's API to make charts on demand. Check the Wiki on that, too.

Never mind the questions either. Ask all you want. Cheers!

Posted on
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 am
Dual offline

I so need to make time to play with this. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1