Motion graphing - anyone done it/

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:25 am
Busta999 offline

I have (Hue and zwave) motion detectors all over the house.

Trying to work out a way to graph motion.

It would be interesting to see where each part of the house was accessed during the day, ie how long was aroom occupied or visited during a 72 hour period.

Anyone done it and can share wisdom ?

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:38 am
siclark offline

Re: Motion graphing - anyone done it/

Have a look at the Grafana plugin. Has a nice way of showing motion/activity per room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:41 am
Busta999 offline

Thanks looking at it now

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:32 am
DaveL17 offline

Busta999 wrote:
I have (Hue and zwave) motion detectors all over the house.

Trying to work out a way to graph motion.

It would be interesting to see where each part of the house was accessed during the day, ie how long was aroom occupied or visited during a 72 hour period.

Anyone done it and can share wisdom ?

Can you say a bit more about what you'd like to accomplish? Maybe you don't yet know what you want (totally understandable), but if you have any visualization ideas, it would help.

Are you looking for a chart per room? Are you looking for a graphic that represents your whole home at once? If you have data on a room like this: empty = 0 / occupied = 1 (or False/True, etc.), we can work with it in the Matplotlib plugin.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:31 am
ELWOOD offline

I have been using INDIGOplotD for years for many different plots. One of the most useful is tracking activity inside and outside the house.
Here is a plot showing two day activity.

Elwood
Attachments
activity today.jpg
activity today.jpg (462.64 KiB) Viewed 2995 times

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:26 pm
Busta999 offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Can you say a bit more about what you'd like to accomplish? Maybe you don't yet know what you want (totally understandable), but if you have any visualization ideas, it would help.

Are you looking for a chart per room? Are you looking for a graphic that represents your whole home at once? If you have data on a room like this: empty = 0 / occupied = 1 (or False/True, etc.), we can work with it in the Matplotlib plugin.

A good question indeed....

I need a rethink on how MatPlotLib works.

At the moment - as far as I can tell, every 15 minutes the current state of the motion detector is taken - whatever that state is, It is recorded to the csv. Then a graph plotted against that.

I guess I am looking for something more..

Well I don't really know.

Some sort of representation of the room usage.

i.e. Lounge in use for multiple hours, but a hallway/loo/bathroom/kitchen for shorter periods.

For the current way I use MPL it only captures longer term usage and will only capture transitory room usage occasionally.

I guess I need a way to capture date and time each time motion is triggered and its duration then represent that usage in a graph of multiple rooms.

Nothing fixed but I guess @elmwood's Graph maybe what I want.

Just casting around at the moment. :-)

Appreciate the input form people, very much appreciated

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:06 pm
DaveL17 offline

Not to try to force fit a solution, but you can also use the Matplotlib plugin with external data. If you look at the plugin's wiki page--specifically the tutorials page--it shows one way to make custom CSV data that can be used with the plugin.

https://github.com/DaveL17/matplotlib/wiki

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:08 pm
Busta999 offline

Dave

Thanks.

Not an urgent task...

Will spend more time researching.

Thanks for the pointers all...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:16 pm
mundmc offline

I am very into this idea- I plan to use the motion data to train an occupancy predicting agent I am using for a class.

I use Grafana to eyeball my zwave multisensors: Image

Note: Kitchen needs a new battery

Edit: I also use the Timed Devices plugin to handle when the room is unoccupied (rather than an off signal from the detectors)

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:20 pm
Busta999 offline

mundmc wrote:
I am very into this idea- I plan to use the motion data to train an occupancy predicting agent I am using for a class.

I use Grafana to eyeball my zwave multisensors: Image

Note: Kitchen needs a new battery

Edit: I also use the Timed Devices plugin to handle when the room is unoccupied (rather than an off signal from the detectors)

Can you run an explanation of the image please so I can understand what I am looking at?

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:34 pm
mundmc offline

Oh yeah, totally. So, Grafana (awesome plugin) allows you to view data like above. I forget the name of this kinda chart, but it was the second main display option.

So- every little line you see there is from motion activating the multisensor in that room. The multisensors fire “On” for 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending if I bought a Zooz or Monoprice clone. Since they are “On” very briefly in the course of a day, you see a bunch of little vertical lines for each room.

In this example, my kitchen multisensor ran out of juice after sending an “On” command, hence it never turned “Off,” and instead of a bunch of vertical lines, the entry is just opaque and stuck on “On.”

Does this clarify at all? If your question was about the deep learning training set, that’s best for another topic.

Edit: The hourly markers were cut off in the screen grab i captured from my iphone- the x-axis shows activity over 24 hours, reflecting Sunday Feb 17th.

MunDMC
Fitter. Happier. More productive.

Posted on
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:34 pm
lalisingh offline

Use motion sensors and light on in a zone room. Several use cases- room usage, energy use and art rooms.
Attachments
occupancy.png
RRDtool used for graphing.
occupancy.png (462.78 KiB) Viewed 2852 times

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Page 1 of 1