Phantom / Virtual devices on Casetta, RA2 Select, or RA2

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:53 am
dz1rfj offline

Phantom / Virtual devices on Casetta, RA2 Select, or RA2

Lutron Newbie here -

After years of great experience with the CASETA pro system, I Just picked up a RA2 Select ONLY because I really like the ceiling motion sensors, and of course,
they are not caseta compatible, nor do they pass motion status via telnet (apparently).

I picked up a very expensive Lurton ra2 switch and was then able to add both the Switch and ceiling motion to the Ra2 Select hub.

Fingers crossed I would see that motion trigger and do something I choose without buying all RA2 devices. No luck. Caseta, and others hubs do not see the motion as you probably know.

Is anyone familiar with Phantom/ virtual devices in Lutron, and is it possible to create phantom devices somehow by using some software (essentials ? ) other than the lutron app ?

if I swap Ra2 Select for Ra2 Main repeater, will that help ?

Do I need to become a distributor / installer to create phantom devices?

I just cant justify replacing all my caseta devices, and buying all RA2 devices , nor , buying RA2 devices (only to resell afterwards) and temporally installing in each room I want a motion event just to trigger a dummy light to do something I choose.

If I sell the devices after I add them, and my system crashes, I imagine I will be at square 1? Where does the integration get stored, in the Hub , or the cloud ?

Is there a way to modify the actual backend data in the Lutron hubs where the integration ID gets exported from to Email ?

Could we copy data from this backend system somehow and adjust the Integration ID for a new dummy device? Are they listed by sort of MAC address or other serial number ?

Lutron can probably sell a large number of the Ceiling mounted motion sensors by exposing motion activity to telnet/ 3rd parties,

I just don't need to change all my lutron caseta switches :pensive:

Thanks for any steps in the right direction. Given Hue sensors re not too big, I just wonder if using Lutrons sensors are worth the headaches...

Hue sensors are not awful ( and motion/lux/temp activity is exposed) , but I have great respect for Clear connect, and the look of the Lutron sensor.

Link to article about creating a virtual device from a switch and then removing.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/lutron-ra2-select-or-radiora-2-essentials/3049/20

Thanks
-Brian

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:12 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Phantom / Virtual devices on Casetta, RA2 Select, or RA2

While the plugins support more systems, I only have hands on experience with two. The original Lutron plug-in with RRa2 repeaters, and the new Lutron Leap plug-in with Caseta hub (not the Pro hub).

Using RRa2, the plug-in gets motion sensor events no matter what it’s programmed to do. With Caseta and the new plug-in, I’m pretty sure the same is true. At least, when I look in the Lutron app, there are no events tied directly to the motion sensor, but the plug-in can trigger on it and do things.

I would think that the Select hub would do the same, but I’ve never had one to test.

An RRa2 repeater is not really an option for you, as they’ve been discontinued and are only available via eBay or other similar channels. RadioRa 3 is the current mainstream product, but it’s still pricey compared to Caseta.

Have you tried the new Lutron Leap plugin? I’m pretty sure the Select hub does Leap. What mobile app are you using with that hub? Is it this one? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lutron-app/id886753021
If so, then the Leap plug-in should work.

Otherwise , I f you can afford to wait a few weeks, and would be willing to ship me the repeater, sensor, and switch, I could test I them directly and see what’s going on. It’ll be a few weeks (at least) as I’m on vacation and won’t be home for almost three weeks.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:52 am
dz1rfj offline

JOE!

You are AWESOME. I had no idea about the LEAP plugin. I can now see motion from the Ra2 Select Motion. :mrgreen:

Question:
If I upgrade to Ra3, I am guessing the LEAP plugin will work equally well as it does on the Ra2 Select ? Also, I am open to loaning you the HUB and the Switch, and donating the ceiling sensor to help you test for others, for the good of the cause.

This is exciting!

We can talk pico anomalies after your amazing diving trip!

Thanks
-Brian

Posted on
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:14 am
FlyingDiver offline

dz1rfj wrote:
Question:
If I upgrade to Ra3, I am guessing the LEAP plugin will work equally well as it does on the Ra2 Select ? Also, I am open to loaning you the HUB and the Switch, and donating the ceiling sensor to help you test for others, for the good of the cause.

The intent is for RRa3 to be fully supported, as the house we’re building (soon) will be RRa3. I’m using some Caseta components to develop the Leap plug-in because they were cheap. There’s no way to make my existing RRa2 system Leap compatible.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1