Looking for Caseta, RRa2 Select, and RRa3 owners

Posted on
Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:45 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Looking for Caseta, RRa2 Select, and RRa3 owners

Hey there!

No, I don't have hardware yet, but we're going to build a (new) house soon and Lutron RadioRA 3 is on my list of candidates. I just spent a fun-filled evening figuring out the RRa3 world, and it's, uh, interesting. Kinda reminds me of German Quality Engineering - the electrical stuff is first class, but the user interfaces and APIs are... limited.

How stable and how complete does LEAP look to you? Lutron seems to be pushing hard towards RRa3 (deprecating the interface hardware for RRa2 and with it, pretty much, Telnet mode).

Has anyone actually bothered to write up the protocol, or should I just read your code and follow along?

Short of buying a toy RRa3 system (that would be 6-9 months out for me), is there any way I can help?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:23 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I've never seen the protocol documented. If you want to figure it out, start here: https://github.com/gurumitts/pylutron-caseta

Using that library, the Lutron LEAP plugin has been tested with both Caseta bridges, plugin modules, pico remotes, motion detectors, and a fan controller. So it should work for any dimmer, pico, switch, etc for Caseta, RRa2 Select, RRa3, and some newer Homeworks systems. I'll add support for more devices types as I get data on them. I'm most interested in RRa3 keypads (not Picos). I'll probably buy an RRa3 repeater and a keypad just for testing, before we're actually wiring the new house. I also need to test it would RRa2 devices connected to the RRa3 repeater.

We're in final plans now, expecting to submit for HOA review and building permits within the month. Construction start mid-summer, complete first half of 2024, I hope.

joe

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:59 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Great! :-)

You'll be ahead of me by some 3-6 months, sounds like. And you'll do all the work! (Well, most of it, I hope...)

What made you decide on Lutron over, say, Z-Wave? Or are you mix-and-matching?

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:05 am
FlyingDiver offline

Current house is 90+% Lutron RRa2, over 100 devices, including 30 or so shades/curtains. There's a few Insteon switches with door sensors on closets. No Z-wave lights at all.

So no, never really considered anything else.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:12 am
Perry The Cynic offline

So I gather you're happy with RRa? No major nuisances, annoyances, or trouble? Just happy? :P

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:17 am
FlyingDiver offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:
So I gather you're happy with RRa? No major nuisances, annoyances, or trouble? Just happy? :P

Very happy. More expensive than Z-wave or Insteon, but rock solid.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:26 am
Perry The Cynic offline

Looks like you'll become my next best (home automation) friend, then. :D

Seriously, let me know if I can help in any way. I'll see if I can get some of the Lutron part of the build front-loaded so I can get some hardware to play with.

Any trouble working with your Lutron dealer/integrator? By all accounts, Lutron itself doesn't want to deal with, uh, customers.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:37 am
FlyingDiver offline

Perry The Cynic wrote:
Looks like you'll become my next best (home automation) friend, then. :D

Seriously, let me know if I can help in any way. I'll see if I can get some of the Lutron part of the build front-loaded so I can get some hardware to play with.

Any trouble working with your Lutron dealer/integrator? By all accounts, Lutron itself doesn't want to deal with, uh, customers.

The initial install of switches, keypads, dimmers, etc, was all purchased by the electricians through their normal distribution channel. The shades were all purchased from the low voltage contractor, as selling and installing the shades is limited to dealers with specific training.

Since then, I've installed many switches, keypads, etc, that I purchased from an electrical supply house in California that is very DIY friendly for RadioRa gear. You can't buy directly from their web store, as Lutron does not allow advertising prices publicly (for RRA at least). I send a list of items to the sales rep, he sends me a quote, etc. I'll provide contact info when you're ready. I'm going to place an order for a few RRa3 items this summer to get a head start on it. I also have a few remaining rooms in the current house that were never upgraded to Lutron (from manual switches), so I'll do those too.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:44 am
FlyingDiver offline

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:09 am
dz1rfj offline

Joe,

As my Zstick have failed twice in 10 years, I am expanding heavily into Lutron. I currently have 50 Lutron devices added on the Caseta Pro Hub.

I just added a Ra2 Select to my Caseta Pro setup. I learned the hard way that I MUST spend >$90 on at least 1 Lutron RA2 Select compatible switch, as the casetas will NEVER (according to Lutron) connect to the Ra2 Select HUB.

I was able to install the Ra2 Select into the Lutron HUB, and Indigo. I was able to connect the LFR2 Occupancy sensor to Ra2 Select, but in a holding pattern until that switch arrives. It seems the motion is installed, but not really operable until a load device is enrolled. I hope, once that switch arrives, and I add it to the Ra2 Select hub, the error on the LFR2 goes away, and then I can use motion events from the LFR2 ( and many other LFR2's to come) throughout Indigo.

If you need any testing assistance, I am happy to assist.

Loving the pico multi press triggers , thanks for all the effort!

-Brian

Thanks
-Brian