Keypad button(s) #7 (WR6BRL)

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:28 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Keypad button(s) #7 (WR6BRL)

I just received my first engraved keypads, and may have made a rookie mistake. I'm not trying to use the raise lower feature with the pair of bottom buttons; I was hoping to treat the pair of them as the same as buttons 1-6. However, I am unable to get Indigo to recognize a button press (the engraved keypad presses both of them with button #7). Is the simultaneous push a problem? Is there some way to make Indigo to respond to the bottom button?

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Keypad button(s) #7 (WR6BRL)

SMUSEBY wrote:
I just received my first engraved keypads, and may have made a rookie mistake. I'm not trying to use the raise lower feature with the pair of bottom buttons; I was hoping to treat the pair of them as the same as buttons 1-6. However, I am unable to get Indigo to recognize a button press (the engraved keypad presses both of them with button #7). Is the simultaneous push a problem? Is there some way to make Indigo to respond to the bottom button?

Turn on detailed debug logging, press the button, then set logging back to what you had. Then post the log segment. That'll let me see what the keypad/repeater is actually sending out.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:37 pm
gt3mike offline

Re: Updating keypad button labels

(Post deleted.)
Last edited by gt3mike on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:51 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Code: Select all
     Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: 17 characters read:
b'~DEVICE,22,18,4\r\n'
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: self.buffer = 'b'~DEVICE,22,18,4\r\n''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: msg = 'b'~DEVICE,22,18,4\r''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: self.buffer = 'b'''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received command: ~DEVICE,22,18,4 from Gateway 68394
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received a Device message: ~DEVICE,22,18,4
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received a keypad button/LED status message: ~DEVICE,22,18,4
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        buttonMultiPressCheck: Timeout reached for keypadid = 68394:22.18, presses = 1
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        A linked device (2 mBdRm rssBurLmps 003 - Both Switches) has been updated: True
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        2 mBdRm - kPd N - Button 063.04 - RSS Bur LED: actionControlDimmerRelay sending: '#DEVICE,63,84,9,1' to gateway 68394
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: Sending: '#DEVICE,63,84,9,1'
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: 10 characters read:
b'~ERROR,2\r\n'
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: self.buffer = 'b'~ERROR,2\r\n''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: msg = 'b'~ERROR,2\r''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: self.buffer = 'b'''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received command: ~ERROR,2 from Gateway 68394
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Gateway 68394 received: ~ERROR,2
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: 6 characters read:
b'GNET> '

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Does that look right? Is the keypad device 22?

It looks like you're trying to use that button in a linked device to control the LED on a different keypad. Is that correct? The command looks correct, but the repeater is throwing an error. Probably because the raise/lower buttons don't have an LED.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:11 am
SMUSEBY offline

It is keypad 22.
I posed the question regarding a keypad I had attempted to program. I have done nothing for the raise/lower buttons on keypad 22.
There are no LEDs for the raise/lower buttons.

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:15 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Can I gather by a lack of reply that I need to forget about using button #7 with indigo?

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

SMUSEBY wrote:
Can I gather by a lack of reply that I need to forget about using button #7 with indigo?

I do have a life, you know. It's not like I'm getting paid to answer questions on the forums 24x7.

I'll respond further when I have time.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:59 pm
SMUSEBY offline

You've spoiled me. No worries. Take your time.

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:44 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Here's what I see in the log segment above (redundant lines deleted):
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received a keypad button/LED status message: ~DEVICE,22,18,4

The plugin sees the status update that button 18 (raise) on device 22 was released. This is normal, button presses fire on the release.

Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        A linked device (2 mBdRm rssBurLmps 003 - Both Switches) has been updated: True

That button press activated a linked device (set to True).

Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        2 mBdRm - kPd N - Button 063.04 - RSS Bur LED: actionControlDimmerRelay sending: '#DEVICE,63,84,9,1' to gateway 68394

The linked device was apparently Lutron device 63, LED 4, ON.

Please don't do this. Linked devices are for controlling NON-Lutron devices from Lutron keypads. Don't use them to control Lutron loads. Use Essentials to program Lutron devices to buttons.

Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron IP Gateway: Sending: '#DEVICE,63,84,9,1'

The command was sent to Device 63.

Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received command: ~ERROR,2 from Gateway 68394

The Lutron reported an Error for that command. Error 2 is "Object does not exist". So I guess you don't actually have a device 63, or the device doesn't have the LED specified.

So, get rid of the any linked devices that point to Lutron devices.

Separately from all that, I created a normal Lutron button press trigger for the raise/lower buttons on one of my keypads. The triggers fired as expected, so there's no problem using those buttons to trigger actions. HOWEVER, you need to be realize that the Lutron system is probably going to try to do other things any time you press those buttons. The default behavior for those buttons is to perform the appropriate raise/lower on whatever device(s) were last activated by that keypad. So if one of the other buttons was programmed to a scene, then you pressed the raise button, all of the lights in that scene would get bumped up. That might not be what you want to happen.

I do not have any custom engraved keypads with a single button replacing both raise/lower buttons. Apparently it defaults to "raise".

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:39 pm
SMUSEBY offline

You are correct - I did have a device link to an LED on device #063, which does exist, but I have no idea why I created it. I suspect when I first installed the keypads, I was experimenting to understand how they work. It's gone.
The engraved keypads have a single button (same size as those above it) for both the raise & lower buttons. Given your warning, I'll see what happens when I press both simultaneously.
Thank you for looking at this.
Bob

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:09 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Raise/lower experiment results:
I created two triggers, each of which toggles Light B for both the raise and lower buttons.
I turned on light A before each of the following presses : Raise 2x, Lower 2x and Raise&Lower together 2x (on the same keypad for light A). All resulted in toggling of light B, and no change in light A. I repeated the test by first turning Light A off - same result.
Next, I created a device link to a z-wave outlet for both the raise and lower buttons. The raise button, and the pair performed (cycling the z-wave outlet), and the lower button did nothing.
So here's my dilemma - do I order engraved keypads with button 7 or not? This experiments suggests that it would work. However, I'm inclined to trust you. I can't find this raise/lower behavior you mentioned in Essentials. Have you observed it?

Page 1 of 1