Need advice leaving Insteon, getting started with Lutron

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:26 pm
ericwass offline

Need advice leaving Insteon, getting started with Lutron

Hi,
My entire house is controlled with Insteon switches that I control with Indigo. I'm currently in the middle of a down-to-studs-remodel of our master bathroom which is quite large. Previously, there was no neutral wire in there so we made do with dumb switches. But now that we're rewiring, a neutral wire is going in and I'll be able to put in smart switches. However, as we all know, Insteon has gone out of business. My electrician recommended Lutron switches but I know nothing about their systems. What would you all recommend for the master bathroom? Can whatever I settle on run concurrently with Insteon switches in the rest of the house? This remodel is already costing a fortune and we don't plan on staying in the house forever. So I don't need the best of the best. But nor do I want to cheap out. What's the middle of the road option? What components do I need to make this all work?

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm flying completely blind here.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Need advice leaving Insteon, getting started with Lutron

Lutron is a good choice. Is the electrician suggesting RadioRa2? RRa2 Select? Caseta? Those are different product lines from Lutron.

You can run Lutron and Insteon and Z-wave all concurrently, integrating them together with Indigo. Depending on which product line you'll be using, you'll need some specific hardware to integrate with Indigo.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:30 pm
ericwass offline

Thanks for the quick reply. He isn't suggesting anything in particular which is why I'm appealing to you guys. Based on my prelim research, it seems like Caseta isn't right. We want the switches to integrate with the rest of the house and those little Pico switches don't whereas the Maestro dimmers do. Feels like RadioRA2 or Radio RA Select are the two I should choose from but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'll never need more than 100 switches. For the moment I only need 8 or so. Does your plugin work better with any one system? Anything else I should consider?

Many thanks,
Eric

Posted on
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

It's been well tested with RRa2. Users have used it with Select, but I have no direct experience. Select has a much more limited range of devices.

I also highly recommend Lutron shades. They're much quieter and smoother than anything else out there I've seen.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:32 pm
gt3mike offline

Agreed re Ra2 and also Lutron shades. I messed with Somfy shades a bit and regretted it. Lutron shades are expensive but awesome.

Page 1 of 1