Unable to create devices from RRA2 Repeater

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 1:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Unable to create devices from RRA2 Repeater

Slow down and go through this step by step. First thing to determine is if you're having a Lutron issue or an Indigo/plugin issue.

You need to activate, program, then transfer to the Lutron repeater first. Did you then test the keypads to make sure they're working before doing anything with them in Indigo?

Then, once you're sure everything is working properly standalone, you need to create Indigo devices to match your existing Lutron devices. You can do that manually, or the plugin will do it for you. You showed yesterday that you were trying to get the plugin to do it. If that's where you're stuck, I need that DbXmlInfo.xml file to proceed. I need it as it gets downloaded, not as an html file or anything else. I sent you via PM the email address to send me the file.

Once you have Indigo devices set up to match all the Lutron devices, you test them using the Indigo client.

Only after all that has been tested do you do anything with Triggers.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 3:20 pm
SMUSEBY offline

for the xml file, I'm using the ip from the device Lutron IP Gateway. I've tried Firefox and Chrome from my Mac - where the file save only permits html files. On the PC, I tried Microsoft Edge - and can't find any file save command. In Essentials, I don't any setting for the xml file . for URL, I'm using 192.168.3.25/dbxmlinfo.xml, for credentials lutron, integration. I've waited until 3 or 4 lines of 0's, 1's, and other machine readable stuff, and then saved where I find no options other than html. What am I doing wrong.?

Slow down and go through this step by step. First thing to determine is if you're having a Lutron issue or an Indigo/plugin issue.

You're quite right to suggest I slow down. Today I'm resisting my natural instincts and doing just that.

You need to activate, program, then transfer to the Lutron repeater first. Did you then test the keypads to make sure they're working before doing anything with them in Indigo?

I've done this for my living room keypad. The first three buttons, programmed in essentials, behave.

Then, once you're sure everything is working properly standalone, you need to create Indigo devices to match your existing Lutron devices. You can do that manually, or the plugin will do it for you. You showed yesterday that you were trying to get the plugin to do it. If that's where you're stuck, I need that DbXmlInfo.xml file to proceed. I need it as it gets downloaded, not as an html file or anything else. I sent you via PM the email address to send me the file.

As for creating devices, the plug-in is not creating buttons 4 & 5. I've programmed a trigger for 6 as follows: for type, I'm using "Device state changed", On//Off State, Becomes Off, and for Action, an AG that turns several loads off. It works.
I created buttons 4 & 5 manually (didn't know that was possible), and working on 4 (set as a toggle in Essentials), i used the Device State Changed for a trigger. It didn't respond to the keypad button or to the iOS app. Note - a lutron event trigger is not possible because the manually created buttons 4 & 5 are not available for triggers (I reloaded the plug-in first).. Looking at Indigo, I stopped and restarted the server, and the 4 & 5 buttons are still missing from the list for triggers.

Once you have Indigo devices set up to match all the Lutron devices, you test them using the Indigo client.

Lutron & Indigo don't match (buttons 4 & 5 are missing in the trigger drop down, and the labels for all 6 buttons are not correct in the iOS app. - ah, - closing and reopening the app upgraded the labels. The tests fail for buttons 4 & 5, as set forth above.

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 3:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Sounds like you don't have anything in Essentials programmed for buttons 4 and 5. If that's the case, you need to tell the plugin you want buttons created anyway. It's a checkbox in the dialog for creating devices:
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 5.23.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 5.23.15 PM.png (14.45 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 3:29 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Oh, and if you don't actually have anything programmed to a button in Essentials, the Lutron software thinks the button doesn't do anything, so it ignores it completely. So you'll never see a state change for that button.

The fix for that is to create a "dummy" Lutron dimmer or switch and program the button to control it. That load doesn't actually exist, so it can't be activated. But if it's in the Essentials program, the repeater will attempt to send commands to it anyway, so you'll get state changes in the plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon May 30, 2022 5:15 pm
SMUSEBY offline

It's working - one keypad doing what I want it to do (dummy loads was a great suggestion), and now on the second one.
Thank you - sorry to have bumped into your memorial day, but very grateful.
Bob