Lutron keypads

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron keypads

If you want to use ANY Lutron devices, you need the appropriate "hub" for the product line you're using. So for Caseta, the minimum would be (1) Smart Bridge Pro and some number of dimmers.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 pm
lalisingh offline

From reading your lutron requirements i would choose the RA2 system. RA2 + Indigo is > Homeworks from a software architecture point of view.

This project is a two step thing.
1) Get your Lutron lighting Control system working using just Lutron. All the devices should provide basic functionality without needing Indigo. For instance if an occupancy sesors state changes the round trip time to respond with an Indigo action; to turn on a set of lights; could be noticeable.

For a large house The list would include:
Main repeater - 2

Aux repeaters - 8

Connect Bridge - 1

Dimmers , switchens, fan control, and plugin lamp and appliance modules . get as many as you need of each

Pico remotes. Use these first. Only use a wired keypad if necessary. Pico remotes can be mounted in a j-box. Using picos vs hybrid keypadss will be kind to your budget.

Phase-Adaptive Power Module qty at least 1 to get some hands on. Your electrician will love it for controlling large load lighting circuits.
Wall and ceiling mount occupancy sensors.The wall mount come in different field of views. Can help with long corridors. To get a proper occupancy controlled lighting will bring you great joy. To do this function you will need more than one occupancy sensor per zone. Lutron has this nailed with their grouping capability. Being wirelss the fine tuning capabilites are enhanced.

RF CCO Module for integrating dry contact control into your system

Make sure your lighting loads are compatible with the dimmers.

Five port proper router and network segment for the two Lutron main repeaters and the connect bridge. Why - so that you can thank me two years hence :)

A intel Nuc or similar for installing the lutron software and keeping it dedicated. This PC will sit on the lutron network segment with its firewall turned off.

2) Integrate indigo to add convenience and security functions that could not be easily done with just Lutron RA2. A dashboard for instance.
Know that Lutron/Indigo integration comes after you have installed a working system in step 1. To try and understand the Lutron and Indigo eco system interaction cold could make it really hard.
The hardware steps to integrate as well documented in the plugin with the possible exception of the 'two router' configuration.

The mental model is that Lutron system control its own world - dimmer,switches,keypad etc. The state information is then passed on to Indigo. In Indigo you do your magic and suggest to lutron to alter a state of device if possible. This is subtle but important idea. If Indigo server should crash you may still be able to turn on your lights.

My 2 cents for sure....

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 am
docbjr offline

Wow. Thanks for the info. That's a lot I don't really understand.

Some of the thousand questions I have:

Do I need to do any programming to use RA2?
What are the advantages to what you suggest over just using Indigo as I have been in my old house?
The NUC will be running Windows? I have a Hackintosh NUC as a backup for my Indigo system. How many computers would I be running?
Could you give me examples of : the main repeater, aux repeaters, connect bridge, RF CCO module, etc?
Would I use any Insteon or Z-Wave devices or only Lutron?
If I wanted hybrid keypads, what do they look like?

I'm really sorry for all the questions and do appreciate any help you can give. We should be breaking ground in the next month.

Thanks.
Bruce

Posted on
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:50 am
FlyingDiver offline

docbjr wrote:
Do I need to do any programming to use RA2?
What are the advantages to what you suggest over just using Indigo as I have been in my old house?
The NUC will be running Windows? I have a Hackintosh NUC as a backup for my Indigo system. How many computers would I be running?
Could you give me examples of : the main repeater, aux repeaters, connect bridge, RF CCO module, etc?
Would I use any Insteon or Z-Wave devices or only Lutron?
If I wanted hybrid keypads, what do they look like?

Not programming as in scripting, but you do need to use the Windows app to program the devices.

Lutron is a much better lighting system than any of the systems that Indigo supports natively (Z-wave, Insteon). It's a professional class system.

You don't need a separate Windows box. I do all my Lutron programming using Win10 running in a Parallels VM. Using a "part time" Windows system is fine.

The "Main repeater" is the central brain for the RadioRa 2 system. You need one of those minimum. You can only use one unless you take the Level 2 programming class to get access to the Advanced software. Aux repeaters are used when you have a large house that needs additional RF coverage. Like additional Wifi access points. You can have up to four Aux repeaters per Main repeater.

You only need the Connect Bridge if you want to use the Lutron remote access software. If you're using Indigo for remote access, you don't need it. I don't have one.

CCO modules are used for relay type control, like the Insteon IO modules.

I use Insteon switches and sensors for automating closet doors. Lutron doesn't have door sensors. I also use Z-Wave for non-lighting things, like Locks and Valves. I would not use Z-wave dimmers or switches if you have Lutron.

Hybrid keypads look just like the normal keypads, but they have a built in switch or dimmer. They're primarily used for retrofit applications where you need both a keypad and a dimmer/switch in an existing switch location.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:35 am
gt3mike offline

I'll just add that the reason to use the RadioRA2 switches/dimmers/keypads exclusively is so that your home lighting automation is as self contained as possible. RadioRA2 is bulletproof. It just works, and it works very well. If something hangs or crashes your Mac, all of your lighting just keeps on working. You can obviously interact with RadioRA2 from Indigo when you want to, but there is significant value in having the lighting in your home self-contained to one super-reliable system.

Posted on
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 pm
docbjr offline

Thanks to all for your advice! I'm thinking. that RadioRa2 is the way to go. I took the course today so I'm good to run the software.

A question regarding Indigo. After installing the Smartbridge Pro, I now can see and control my lone Lutron dimmer in Indigo and on my iPhone. However, the Indigo log does not show any usage of the dimmer. Is this normal?

I guess the real problem for me with the new house is deciding what devices to put where.

Posted on
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

docbjr wrote:
Thanks to all for your advice! I'm thinking. that RadioRa2 is the way to go. I took the course today so I'm good to run the software.

A question regarding Indigo. After installing the Smartbridge Pro, I now can see and control my lone Lutron dimmer in Indigo and on my iPhone. However, the Indigo log does not show any usage of the dimmer. Is this normal?

I guess the real problem for me with the new house is deciding what devices to put where.

I'm confused. The Smartbridge Pro is Caseta. You mean you're going to use RRa2 for your new build?

Does the Indigo device represent the correct state of the dimmer? If so, it's all working properly. You'll need to set the plugin logging to Debug level for normal device updates to show in the log. Otherwise you'd get inundated if you have a lot of devices.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:55 am
docbjr offline

Ok, I now can see the activity of the Lutron dimmer in the log. Interestingly enough, when I control it from Indigo on the computer or from a Pico, no debugging shows in the log. But when I control the switch directly, I do get a couple of debugging messages.

The Smartbridge Pro is for my current house. I am planning on purchasing a repeater soon to play with. Where is a good place to purchase it and a few dimmers?

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:05 am
gt3mike offline

I bought just about everything from Paul at Hank's Electric. Great prices and outstanding service. Important to send him an email at paul@hankselectric.net. You will need an account on their website in order to see the best pricing.

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 am
FlyingDiver offline

gt3mike wrote:
I bought just about everything from Paul at Hank's Electric. Great prices and outstanding service. Important to send him an email at paul@hankselectric.net. You will need an account on their website in order to see the best pricing.

That's who I use as well.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:29 pm
docbjr offline

Do I need the BDG2-1 in addition?

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:41 pm
FlyingDiver offline

docbjr wrote:
Do I need the BDG2-1 in addition?

Not unless you want direct Siri support or you want to use their mobile app remotely.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:07 pm
docbjr offline

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 pm
gt3mike offline

You also need it for Alexa integration. I prefer direct Alexa-Lutron integration over going through Indigo. And in the scheme of things it isn’t that expensive.

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am
docbjr offline

Is there a way to have a light come on at say 5% brightness? I can do it with a double press of a pico using Indigo, but what about with a single press or a direct control from a dimmer or switch?
Thanks