Lutron keypads

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:15 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron keypads

docbjr wrote:
Is there a way to have a light come on at say 5% brightness? I can do it with a double press of a pico using Indigo, but what about with a single press or a direct control from a dimmer or switch?
Thanks

You mean set that way in the Lutron programming software? Easy in Essentials or Inclusive. Just set the level when you program the load to the button. I don't use Caseta, so I'm not sure how you do it there.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 am
docbjr offline

aargh...All I could see was the choice between 25, 50, 75, and 100%. After your message, I realized that my extended numeric keys on the keyboard were not working, and so, I was not able to choose any other percentage. As I never use Windows except for this, I did not know that I needed to tell VMware to allow access to the numeric keys. A little research said to hit the "clear" key. Now it's good.

I'm such a newbie.

Thanks

Posted on
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You wouldn't be the first Mac user to get tripped up on some arcane Windows weirdness...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 pm
koensayr offline

I just sent an email to Paul from Hank's Electric

QQ about Lutron RadioRA2. Do I still need to leverage their programming software if the system is hooked to Indigo? It seems the answer is still yes, but wanted to make sure.

With the 7.5 release of Indigo its clear that Indigo is spending more time focusing on Z-Wave and other tech outside of Insteon, so I figured for this new remodel we just did its time to bump up the lighting system. That plus I really need an ELV dimmer for these LED drivers - that only Lutron really offers.

Posted on
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Yes, you need to do basic programming (mainly activating the devices) using the Lutron application before you can connect Indigo. That's for RRa2. For Caseta, it's all in the mobile app.

The Level 1 training is online and free. If you need level 2, that's also now online, but requires buying one of their training kits. Which is actually a good deal if you're just getting started as it includes the main repeater you're going to need to buy anyway.

And, to be fair, I'm not sure what all the Indigo team could be doing with Insteon, since it seems to be in a dead end anyway. Have they introduced any new devices lately?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:11 am
spiv offline

I know this is an old post, but for anyone searching and landing here...

If you are new to Lutron, keep in mind that other than "full Radio RA2" there is a subset version called "RA2 Select".

It uses a different repeater (aka "primary hub"), but uses a lot (but not all) of the RA2 dimmers, switches, and devices.

The big benefit is that it is programmed and controlled using only the Lutron mobile app. So you don't have to be certified and use the Lutron Windows software.

If you later want to upgrade to full Radio RA2, you only have to replace the main repeater (1 box), but can keep all your already installed dimmers, switches, and other devices.

The most obvious differences in comparing RA2 and RA 2 Select are the total number of devices supported and auxiliary repeaters. The big device difference is that RA2 Select doesn't support the RA2 keypads that can be installed in-wall and have feedback LED's. But I find many of my clients prefer Pico controls or voice controls for scenes, so they don't want to bump up to full RA2 just for that.

(There are other devices only supported in RA2 full, so look through the Lutron website carefully to assess for yourself)