Looking for beta testers - next Lutron plugin release

Posted on
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Looking for beta testers - next Lutron plugin release

I've been working on a fairly major update to the Lutron plugin, with changes for the three open issues in GitHub:

1. Support for multiple Lutron gateways (Repeaters, smart bridges, etc) so that you can control multiple independent Lutron systems.

2. Fix for auto device creation for RRa2 Select systems.

3. Support for multiple-press triggers that only trigger for the specified number of presses.

If you're interested in trying this out, it's at https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-r ... evelopment

Make sure you back up your Indigo database BEFORE you install the new plugin. This version creates new devices and modifies existing devices. You have been warned.

If you have many Lutron plugin devices in Indigo, the initial startup of the plugin will take a while as it adds and updates properties for each device. In my testing, this has also caused the Indigo client to hog CPU time for an extended period after startup. I've been working on this, but I'm still not sure exactly why this is happening. I suggest quitting the client immediately after updating the plugin, waiting a couple minutes, then restarting it.

I'll make another post about the changes in the multi-press detection events.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:28 am
rapamatic offline

Re: Looking for beta testers - next Lutron plugin release

I'll try to get the beta installed some time over the next few days. I'm happy with the current button press mechanism, so I probably won't change much there... anything else I should keep an eye on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:34 pm
rapamatic offline

I've got the beta running - all my existing stuff working, I may play around with the button presses...

Is there any way to customize the button press delay? Sometimes even 1 second is a bit too short....

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:37 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rapamatic wrote:
I've got the beta running - all my existing stuff working, I may play around with the button presses...

Is there any way to customize the button press delay? Sometimes even 1 second is a bit too short....

Not at the moment. I could move it to a plugin-wide configuration value. And there's two different values. Currently, it's 1 second for the first/second/third press triggers. It's 0.5 second for the single/double/triple triggers. The later triggers don't fire at all until the timeout, which is why it's shorter.

And those delays are between presses, not for all presses combined. So on a triple press, you have two delays or 1.0 seconds total.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 pm
rapamatic offline

Even a system-wide setting would be fine. Before you added this feature I had rolled my own double tap triggers in Indigo, and I think I settled on 1.5 seconds or even 2 seconds....

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:41 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rapamatic wrote:
Even a system-wide setting would be fine. Before you added this feature I had rolled my own double tap triggers in Indigo, and I think I settled on 1.5 seconds or even 2 seconds....

OK, I'll probably do that. But give it a try the way it is, I've found that if you're really intending to do a double/triple press, the current values seem to work pretty well.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:44 pm
rapamatic offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
rapamatic wrote:

OK, I'll probably do that. But give it a try the way it is, I've found that if you're really intending to do a double/triple press, the current values seem to work pretty well.

Oh, I've been using your current triggers for months... every couple weeks my wife tells me that the double-taps aren't working, and I think it is just her not tapping quickly enough...

The way I do my double taps (or even triple taps), they are all logical continuations of the single tap (so, for example, one tap on the Off button by master door turns off the lights in the master bedroom, a double tap also turns off the master bath, and a triple tap turns off the entire 2nd floor)... in those cases even pretty long delays may make sense....

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:46 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rapamatic wrote:
Oh, I've been using your current triggers for months... every couple weeks my wife tells me that the double-taps aren't working, and I think it is just her not tapping quickly enough...

The way I do my double taps (or even triple taps), they are all logical continuations of the single tap (so, for example, one tap on the Off button by master door turns off the lights in the master bedroom, a double tap also turns off the master bath, and a triple tap turns off the entire 2nd floor)... in those cases even pretty long delays may make sense....

When that happens, is it a one-time event or does she think it's repeatable? Because if someone else in the house hits some keypad button at the same time, so it's between her presses, it's going to fail...

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I just pushed a new commit that has those timeouts as plugin configurable.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:02 pm
rapamatic offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
rapamatic wrote:

When that happens, is it a one-time event or does she think it's repeatable? Because if someone else in the house hits some keypad button at the same time, so it's between her presses, it's going to fail...

Oh... I never thought to check that... it is random, so there could be other button presses happening...

FlyingDiver wrote:
I just pushed a new commit that has those timeouts as plugin configurable.

Awesome - just installed that, and will play with it when I get home. Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:06 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rapamatic wrote:
Oh... I never thought to check that... it is random, so there could be other button presses happening...

I did spend some time thinking about how to deal with that, and it means I would need to keep a list of all keypresses received in the last TIMEOUT period, and check all of them for multiple presses, and then I got a headache. :(

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:17 pm
rapamatic offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
rapamatic wrote:

I did spend some time thinking about how to deal with that, and it means I would need to keep a list of all keypresses received in the last TIMEOUT period, and check all of them for multiple presses, and then I got a headache. :(

When I rolled my own system it was easier - since I could just manually create variables for each button that I was monitoring and then use that to track the presses... I think plugins can create variables... maybe that's an easier way to do it?

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:22 pm
FlyingDiver offline

rapamatic wrote:
When I rolled my own system it was easier - since I could just manually create variables for each button that I was monitoring and then use that to track the presses... I think plugins can create variables... maybe that's an easier way to do it?

No, I don't think using Indigo variables would make it any easier. Right now, I have three plugin-wide internal variables that are used for multiple press detection: The keycode, the timestamp for the last press, and a press counter. If I was going to detect multiple simultaneous presses, I would need all three for all detected keypresses. And then I would need to purge that list as each times out. I could do it, but not in this first release of the new functionality.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:31 pm
rapamatic offline

I don't know if plugins can access all the same built in functions as you can with triggers, but I was able to do it with one variable, that basically tracked button presses, and then I would use delayed actions (from the key press trigger) to reset the variable back to 0... the trick is that when the trigger gets triggered a second time (e.g. when you press the button again), you can tick the checkbox to override previous delays, essentially resetting the timeout...

I don't know if you can implement it in the same way via a plugin though...

Posted on
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 pm
rapamatic offline

I just noticed these errors in log. As i recall the triggers executed a set dimmer with fade action

Code: Select all
Dec 5, 2019 at 9:47:29 PM
   Schedule                        Stairs to [BedtimeStairsDim] in 5 minutes (delayed action)
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Error       Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 1878, in fadeDimmer
NameError: global name 'dimmerDevice' is not defined

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:54:16 PM
   Reflector                       starting reflector connection to https://rapamatic.indigodomo.net

Dec 5, 2019 at 10:00:00 PM
   Schedule                        Dim Girls Lights