Lutron Reverse Proxy

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:02 am
koensayr offline

Lutron Reverse Proxy

I am interested in an Indigo Plugin that could emulate Lutron devices based on existing Indigo devices.

The use case here is that I have a piece of home automation hardware (the amazing Josh.ai) that works really well with Lutron devices. I have an Indigo setup with over 100 devices - mostly Insteon switches and such, and I'd like Indigo to expose these devices (or some of these devices) to a Lutron bridge. The idea would be that the Josh.ai hardware would see these Indigo devices as Lutron ones and enable control.

Any thoughts on this or ideas on how this could be acomplished? I suppose another way to do this would just have a plugin expose and emulate a Lutron endpoint?

Posted on
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:10 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron Reverse Proxy

That’s an interesting concept. Would not be that difficult to implement, since I’ve already done another bridge type device. We should discuss further when I get back in a couple weeks. I’m on a scuba holiday in Indonesia right now.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am
koensayr offline

I’m so happy to hear you are open minded. I’d be happy to co-develop it, donate to its development etc...

Have a good trip and I’m excited to discuss it with you when you get back

Posted on
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm
Swancoat offline

Seems like that's a long way around to just making Indigo devices available to Josh.ai. I have no idea how open Josh.ai is, or if such a thing could be developed or what, but having Josh.ai simply integrate with Indigo (and thus all of the devices connected to it) seems easier.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:56 am
koensayr offline

Joe @FlyingDriver - thought I'd check in with you now that the holidays are over. Would you be willing to work together on something like this?

Posted on
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

koensayr wrote:
Joe @FlyingDriver - thought I'd check in with you now that the holidays are over. Would you be willing to work together on something like this?

Maybe next week. I have some other work I'm finishing up this week, and I want to do a little more research on Josh.ai to see if there's a more straightforward path to integration than using a pseudo-Lutron bridge.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 am
FlyingDiver offline

Do you have contacts at Josh.ai? Did you install the system yourself or use a dealer? I really think it would be better to work directly with with Josh.ai to integrate their system directly with Indigo rather than through an emulation bridge. They list Control4/Crestron/Savant on the website, so adding Indigo isn't much of a stretch.

If we do end up using an emulation bridge, there's one question that's critical - Does the josh.ai configuration for Lutron integration allow specification of the network port as well as the IP address and username/password? If it doesn't, then using a plugin to provide an emulated Lutron interface isn't going to be possible.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:47 pm
koensayr offline

I do have a contact there (I actually just signed up as a dealer). I will check on the port number specification

They really don't have an API or anything to all us to write a native integration so I suggested this route.

It would also allow Indigo to interact with any other sort of product that works with Lutron.

I think its actually a powerful path forward

Posted on
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:00 pm
FlyingDiver offline

koensayr wrote:
I do have a contact there (I actually just signed up as a dealer). I will check on the port number specification

They really don't have an API or anything to all us to write a native integration so I suggested this route.

It would also allow Indigo to interact with any other sort of product that works with Lutron.

I think its actually a powerful path forward

They must have native drivers for all the products they currently support. What language are their drivers written in? Can we get access to that API?

I'm particularly concerned with device discovery. How do you configure the josh.ai system to know about the Lutron devices? Does each have to be configured manually, or is there some sort of discovery process? Supporting the existing process that the Indigo Lutron plugin uses is probably undoable. It's incredibly complex XML which I was able to parse, but that I would not be able to recreate. And it also requires port 80 (HTTP) which is not available.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1