Using Lutron dimmer as a proxy for adjusting Lifx LED BR30's

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:57 pm
spiv offline

Using Lutron dimmer as a proxy for adjusting Lifx LED BR30's

Ok bear with me on this one....

Looking to solve a WAF issue.

I am testing some tunable white BR30 downlights. I found that Lifx RGBW are pricy, but the Indigo plug-in is working well.

The problem I am trying to solve is that other members of the household do not want to use voice control or mobile app to control the lights.

I know I can use smart lights with a smart plug or in-wall switch but not with a dimmer. The dimming function wreaks havoc with the microprocessor/wifi build into the smart bulbs.

My first idea was to bypass the in-wall switch by hardwiring the light to always be on and then mount a Pico in the same gang box slot and use Indigo to map Pico keypresses to Lifx device commands. I believe I can do this (now that I have Pico's working with Indigo). I'm only concerned about mapping on, off, and dimming. Don't need color settings.

I think that will work, but the problem I have is the aesthetics of the Pico is very different and will look bad.

So my idea is to mount a Lutron in-wall switch but not connect the load wire. So the switch will still be powered, but not actually control the load. Indigo will see the on/off/dim commands, and so I can set triggers to proxy that over to Lifx commands. Our Lutron are using BI (biscuit) color plastic and wall plates so this will keep everything matching.

I think I would need to use a Lutron dimmer with a neutral so it can be powered without the load connected? Am I crazy or would this work?

The main reason for all of this is I would like the in-ceiling BR30's to have daylight white during the day and switch automatically to warm color in the evening. I can do that bit easily with Indigo automation, but need to do better than bypassing the in-wall switch or putting the classic "do not touch" warning over it.

If this works, household members would be able to turn the Lifx on or off and set dimming levels all from what they think is just another in-wall dimmer switch. They would be oblivious to the color temperature changing automatically.

Cost of using another Lutron dimmer is not an issue..just curious if my thinking is right and this will work and/or is it too "Rube Goldberg"?

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:07 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Using Lutron dimmer as a proxy for adjusting Lifx LED BR

Do you currently have any Lutron keypads? Because if you use a keypad, then it can control those lights (via Indigo) and other lights in the room as well. And you could have buttons on the keypad to activate pre-set color temps as well.

Otherwise, I think what you propose should work. And yes, you would need a ND switch so it doesn't require a load. I'd make sure you can test this out and return it, just in case.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1