Question about the 'Set Dimmer with Fade' action

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:18 pm
BeeEss offline

Question about the 'Set Dimmer with Fade' action

As a part of my morning alarm, I'm looking to have my bedside table lamps (connected to Caseta plug-in dimmers) slowly fade in from 1% brightness to 100% over the course of a while - say a minute or two. Is 'Set Dimmer with Fade' the right option for that? I have the Brightness value set to 100 and the Fade Time at 120 (I assume that is supposed to be seconds?), but the lamps just jump to 100% immediately. My log says
Code: Select all
Set brightness to %s with fade %s
I'm assuming there should be values in the log instead of %s?

If 'Set Dimmer with Fade' is not the right option, any other ideas on how to make that work?

Thanks a bunch!

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:03 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Question about the 'Set Dimmer with Fade' action

Yeah, that's a typo in the logging statement. I'll fix that for the next release.

I also see I made a mistake in the way I coded the fade command. It'll work up to a value of 59 seconds. Anything more than that will require a fix. I'll try to have that out soon.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm
BeeEss offline

Awesome, thanks! After doing some more digging, I'm wondering if the fade parameter on Lutron's OUTPUT command is not available for Caseta products. When I telnet into my Smart Bridge Pro and give it a command like #OUTPUT,9,1,100,30 it turns the device on immediately instead of fading over the 30 seconds (I also tried the '00:30' variant described in Lutron's integration protocol, but no love.) Near as I can tell it is just truncating anything after the output level (for both plug-in dimmers and wall switches):

Code: Select all
GNET> #OUTPUT,9,1,100,30,0
~OUTPUT,9,1,100.00

I've read that the Caseta bridge may use a different/pared down version of their protocol, so perhaps this is one of the differences. I can get where I need to go with a Python script (my entire house is held together with hacky Python scripts), but this thread might be useful if anyone else is trying the same thing.

Thanks again!

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:52 pm
BeeEss offline

Update to my post above:

I was completely wrong. The telnet fade commands to the Caseta hub work just fine, and the plugin action works as expected as well, even for values of over 59 seconds (I used a value of '02:00' for Fade Time, and that seems to work fine.)

My goof was that I wasn't in the same room as the switch I was testing. When you give the dimmer a fade in command of, say, 30 seconds, it immediately reports back that the light has reached the desired brightness even though it's still on it's way there. I figured it wasn't working right since Indigo immediately told me the lamp was already at 100% and I couldn't actually see that the light was, in fact, still fading in. :roll:

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 pm
FlyingDiver offline

The value is supposed to be seconds, which the plugin wasn't converting to MM:SS properly. That'll be fixed in the next release, when your string hack will stop working. Sorry about that.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:03 pm
BeeEss offline

No worries at all! Sorry to faff about with what amounts to me not testing my setup properly :oops:

Page 1 of 1