Lutron RA2: update plug-in database

Posted on
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Lutron RA2: update plug-in database

After struggling for years with failing Insteon hardware, I'm excited to have more robust replacements from Lutron. Starting with one room, and using Lutron's Essentials software, I was able to use the Indigo software with the Lutron plug-in, with everything working beautifully.
I've added a device, and modified the ones previously installed, and can't find how I update the information available to Indigo - i.e., none of the changes that I have made since the initial installation are available in Indigo. Long way to ask the question,
How does one refresh the the Lutron data in Indigo?

Thanks for the fabulous plug-in. I'm looking forward to replacing all my dead Insteon keypads and flakey switches.

Posted on
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron RA2: update plug-in database

What specific Lutron HW are you using? RadioRa 2? Caseta?

Short answer is that if you've added devices, you can run the same process as you did on the initial install and the plugin will make Indigo devices for the new Lutron HW. But if you want to change existing devices you need to edit them manually.

Also, this should be in the Lutron plugin forum (viewforum.php?f=217). Hopefully Matt or Jay will move it.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:19 pm
SMUSEBY offline

Sorry for my forum clumsiness, and my lack of information in my forum post.
I'm using the Radio RA2 equipment.
Is there a documentation link for both:
- initial installation, and
- manual editing? Is this for just changing the name of a device, or also for adding another button to a keypad?
In the plug-in popup, what is the consequence of:
- Reload,
- Manage Linked Devices...
- Create Devices from RRA2 Repeater
I installed the plug-in and my initial installation a few weeks ago, and am now returning. I'm reluctant to start pressing buttons in a guess and check mode.

Posted on
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Some of that is documented at https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-radiora2/wiki

Reload restarts the plugin, just like any other plugin.

See the Wiki for the linked devices description.

Create devices is what you must have done when you did the initial install. Go ahead and run it again if you've added more devices or programmed more buttons.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 pm
SMUSEBY offline

'Create Devices' won't interfere with triggers and scheduled events using previously installed Lutron hardware? What is the purpose of the "Manage Devices" item?
Am I correct in assuming the manual editing you mention is inside of Indigo - not some esoteric coding undertaking? - say for something such as changing the label for a switch?

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:04 am
FlyingDiver offline

SMUSEBY wrote:
'Create Devices' won't interfere with triggers and scheduled events using previously installed Lutron hardware?
What is the purpose of the "Manage Devices" item?
Am I correct in assuming the manual editing you mention is inside of Indigo - not some esoteric coding undertaking? - say for something such as changing the label for a switch?

No it won't.

Read the Wiki page.

Any editing you do in Indigo only effects Indigo devices.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am
SMUSEBY offline

"Manage devices'. Found it.
Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm
SMUSEBY offline

I'm not able to control Insteon hardware with Lutron. I suspect my errors.
In the process of learning both Essentials and the Plug-in, I'm afraid I've cluttered the Indigo database. Deleting all the devices in Indigo doesn't seem to be effective. Is there someway, I can eliminate all Lutron data from Indigo and then perform a clean 'create devices...' from a clean Essentials 'Transfer'?

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

SMUSEBY wrote:
Is there someway, I can eliminate all Lutron data from Indigo and then perform a clean transfer from Essentials?

Delete all the Indigo devices associated with the Lutron plugin. Sorting the complete device list by the Protocol column will make sure you find them. Then use the "Manage Linked Devices..." menu item to delete any remaining links.

Then do the transfer again. And you're not transferring from the Essentials software. You're downloading (transferring) directly from the RRA2 repeater.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm
FlyingDiver offline

And keep in mind that you must already have a Lutron button (from Keypad or Pico) defined before you can link it to a non-Lutron Indigo device. If it's a button that's not defined to do anything in the Essentials software, then you'll either need to create it manually, or use the option to create unprogrammed buttons when you do the download from the repeater.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
Also, this should be in the Lutron plugin forum (viewforum.php?f=217). Hopefully Matt or Jay will move it.

Moved.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:45 pm
SMUSEBY offline

While experimenting with both Lutron and your Plug-in, I created a trigger tied to a Lutron scene button in Indigo with an Insteon switch. The Lutron button manages the Lutron loads, but isn't finding the Insteon device. I cannot detect an error message in the Indigo event log. I was able to control the Insteon load by turning on the Lutron device in Indigo, but the Trigger can't find it. Thus my hypothesis that the issue is data clutter.
I've sorted the devices by Protocol, and deleted them.
I've attached two screen shots that are evidence of lingering Lutron data:
- The test trigger I created to see if I could add an Insteon device to a Lutron button displays Lutron device information; and
- First the installer, and then me fooling around, and then trying to create succinct labels, I ended up with three labels for the same room. In the Plug-in 'Manage Linked Devices', the three different names for the same Lutron zone linger. Is there anyway I can dig deeper to do a more thorough cleanse?

By the way, thank you for your patience and very prompt responses.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 13.37.15.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 13.37.15.png (299.58 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 13.14.06.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 13.14.06.png (294.52 KiB) Viewed 2321 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 pm
FlyingDiver offline

You're working from a basic mis-conception. The linked devices functionality is for controlling NON-Lutron devices from Lutron buttons. NOT for controlling Lutron devices from non-Lutron keypads.

Linked devices are not Triggers. If you're using linked devices properly, no triggers are needed.

To control Lutron devices from non-Lutron buttons, you do need to create triggers.

As for the lingering room/zone names, that data is created from the rooms identified in the Lutron repeater data. If it's wrong in the plugin, it was wrong in the repeater at the time the devices were created. There's no way to fix that other than to delete the devices with the bad data and recreate them from corrected repeater data.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1