Lutron System Upgrade

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:09 pm
farberm offline

Lutron System Upgrade

I need to upgrade my home system. I have some x10 wall switches that used toturn on some x10 security light. They are broken and I need to replace them. There is no traditional switch that controls the lights.I was going to upgrade with the following nd needed some input.
1. Replace x10 wall switch with Lutron switch
2. Get Lutron hub
3. Get traditional security light and use Phillips outdoor hue bulb
4. Program Lutron button to turn on security lights (Phillips hue bulb)

I am open to other suggestion and realize that the above may not be the simplest.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron System Upgrade

Does the security light have a switch or is it hardwired?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 pm
farberm offline

The light is hardwired and no switch in the house controls it. That is the issue. If there was a switch then I could just use an Insteon switch but not an option

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

farberm wrote:
The light is hardwired and no switch in the house controls it. That is the issue. If there was a switch then I could just use an Insteon switch but not an option

You could put an Insteon Micro module in the jbox behind the light mount then use a linked Insteon switch. Just an option (I have a similar setup with an attic light that our builder forgot to switch (hur dur)...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm
farberm offline

That would be cheaper. Remind me do the new Insteon switch need a neutral wire? Which micro controller would you use

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 pm
rehafer offline

Yes the micros need a third wire. There’s a dimmer and an on/off. You would want the on/off for flouresent lights and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:55 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Also, if you're looking at Insteon you could use an Insteon switch and link it to the light. I'm not sure Lutron is your most economical option.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm
mundmc offline

Jay and Flying Diver know way more than me, but my Insteon switch fail rate is about 15% a year, which, allowing for inflation of a rapidly decreasing WAF, has threatened my HA more than once. Hue bulbs have mot yet failed me with the plugin in 3.25 years, and I hear Lutron is very dependable (which is my experience, albeit for only 2 months).

I would go Pico linked to Hue... you save yourself the wiring in the process.

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mundmc wrote:
my Insteon switch fail rate is about 15% a year

In most cases, a failure rate that high usually indicates a systemic power issue where power levels fluctuate in some regular way, either small fluctuations that happen a lot or larger fluctuations. These inconsistencies seem to be particularly deadly to Insteon devices for some reason. But it should be noted that many (most?) people do not have this high a failure rate.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am
mundmc offline

Lutron System Upgrade

jay (support) wrote:
mundmc wrote:
my Insteon switch fail rate is about 15% a year

In most cases, a failure rate that high usually indicates a systemic power issue where power levels fluctuate in some regular way, either small fluctuations that happen a lot or larger fluctuations. These inconsistencies seem to be particularly deadly to Insteon devices for some reason. But it should be noted that many (most?) people do not have this high a failure rate.

Any way i can try to measure or correct this? Is there a pibeacon whole-house power conditioner yet :) ?

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm
farberm offline

I would need to install the micro controller in the eave space. While it will not directly get wet the evironment is not indoor. Would this be ok?

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:15 pm
rehafer offline

I have a micro that controls a led Christmas wreath. I have it and a 3.3v power supply wired in a plastic project box that sits on my porch. It has worked fine for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1