Caseta Pro Adoption Anxiety

Posted on
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm
mundmc offline

So I have been lurking this sub-forum for well over a year, and have yet to take the plunge. But the Picos! So good and inexpensive. I need to do this.

My question: Which Caseta Pro hub will work? Some Amazon reviews gave me cold feet involving different firmware versions of the hub.

Many thanks, excited for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Caseta Pro Adoption Anxiety

Per the readme, you need:

For Caséta, a Wireless Smart Bridge Pro (L-BDGPRO2) with ethernet.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:13 am
mundmc offline

Ah crap, sorry I didn’t read the readme! I know it needs a Pro, I was just spooked by an Amazon review referencing first and second gen Pros! Thanks again

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:59 am
mundmc offline

Follow-up: After all that, I was sent a BDG-PRO, not a BDG-PRO2-WH. Incorrectly marked by Amazon. Sent it back and ordered another.

Posted on
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:02 am
mundmc offline

Update: Latest BDG-PRO2 is working great! I set up the Lutron lights in the app, emailed the json config file to me, pasted it, and everything worked! I had no problems getting pico remotes to control Insteon hardware at all.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:30 pm
rehafer offline

I have a question about using Pico remotes with Insteon. When I try to use a Pico button to toggle an Insteon switch, the light turns on and then off again; as if the Pico is sending 2 commands in succession. Have you noticed this behavior?

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:40 pm
mundmc offline

rehafer wrote:
I have a question about using Pico remotes with Insteon. When I try to use a Pico button to toggle an Insteon switch, the light turns on and then off again; as if the Pico is sending 2 commands in succession. Have you noticed this behavior?

I have not, and I am using one for just that. I am not at my machine, but how did you set up one to control the other. IIRC there was a drop down menu item that sorta did the work for me.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:44 pm
rehafer offline

I set it up to toggle on any command. If it’s working for you I likely need to fiddle with the settings, one button for on and another for off works fine.
I’m even sure what I’m going to do with it. It came in my starter pack, but I’m sure I’ll find something.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 pm
mundmc offline

I’ll check when I’m home- i fiddled with some settings, though that one worked on the first try for me. I’m really, really happy with the plugin.

Are you adding devices via pasting the json from the email?

Edit: To be clear, you are using Caseta Pro, si?

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:56 pm
rehafer offline

That’s how I did my first setup. I wanted to try a switch because I have a lot of “switch loop” wiring in my house; and the Caseta are the only smart switches I know of that can control an led bulb with 2 wires. The switch is working great, next step swap out for a dimmable led bulb.

Posted on
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:02 pm
rehafer offline

Yes, I use the Caseta Pro. It also works with HomeKit so I have setup directly instead of using Home Kit Bridge like I do with Insteon.

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm
mundmc offline

rehafer wrote:
Yes, I use the Caseta Pro. It also works with HomeKit so I have setup directly instead of using Home Kit Bridge like I do with Insteon.

Sorry if im dense- but are you importing homekit devices INTO Indigo, and if so, please share how!

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:39 pm
rehafer offline

I’m using the excellent Home Kit Bridge plug-in for Indigo to export Insteon to HomeKit, which I use as a front end.
I don’t know of anything that imports HomeKit to Indigo.
As a side; I also use the Alexa Bridge plugin to use Amazon Echoes as a front end. Indigo keeps everything in sync.

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:47 pm
mundmc offline

rehafer wrote:
I’m using the excellent Home Kit Bridge plug-in for Indigo to export Insteon to HomeKit, which I use as a front end.
I don’t know of anything that imports HomeKit to Indigo.
As a side; I also use the Alexa Bridge plugin to use Amazon Echoes as a front end. Indigo keeps everything in sync.

Agreed Home Kit Bridge is awesome ;)

So you are using Homekit to link a Pico remote with an Insteon switch i guess? With the Insteon published to Homekit? I haven’t the foggiest but suspect that might be affecting the implimentation.

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm
rehafer offline

No, so far I only have the Pico set up in Indigo. I hadn’t thought of trying it in HomeKit. I try to keep most of my automation in Indigo as that is my central controller. I’m not sure if HomeKit has a remote category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk