Lutron Shade Control

Posted on
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 am
jenwill1 offline

Lutron Shade Control

I'm getting bids to install Lutron Serena or Sivoia battery powered shades for the house. My questions are 1) Can I use Indigo for combined shade and lighting scenes in Indigo, handling the shades in Caseta and lights in RA2 Select with your plugin ? 2) Can the standard shade Pico be used in the plugin ? 3) Do you have any experience in either shade line ?

Lutron Equipment
I am using RadioRA2 Select for lighting at the moment with a main repeater and a wireless repeater. I'm using Indigo to schedule lighting scenes and triggers. Your plugin is working great. I first experimented with Caseta and then RA2 Select was released and say a little more opportunity versus Caseta. Anyway I still have a caseta bridge and lamplinc repeater in the closet to use if needed.

Based on the price of Lutron shades I might look at Bali Autoview as well, they are expensive !

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my questions...

Posted on
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron Shade Control

All my experience is with the Sivoia QS system with hardwired power and RF control using RRA2. They're controlled from Indigo as if they were lights, since Indigo doesn't have a native Shade device. I have over 20 of these shades in the house, along with dozens of lighting zones and more than a dozen keypads. I'm running the Inclusive version of the Lutron software with two main repeaters (over 100 devices).

That said, I expect that the battery version of the shades will work the same as the hardwired system. You should talk to your Lutron dealer, but I don't see any point to using both the Caseta bridge and a main repeater at the same time. You should be able to control both the RRA2 Select devices and the shades from the main repeater.

The problem you're going to run into right away is that the plugin can only talk to one Lutron controller. So it would be either the RRA2 main repeater or the Caseta bridge. But not both. There are ways to hack up a second plugin to talk to both, but it's messy.

You should be able to detect button presses on the Pico in Indigo to control additional devices.

I don't know anything about Bali Autoview, but I will say that the Lutron shades are worth every penny. They are dead quiet. Every other motorized shade we looked at sounded like a freight train compared to the Lutron shades.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am
jenwill1 offline

Thanks for the quick feedback. The motivation for looking at Caseta is price. The Sivoia QS is almost double the price of Serena. But you've talked me out of trying to complicate it with two separate systems. RA2 Select allows one to do all the device configuration, albeit simplistic, but you have to buy all dealer only equipment versus the Caseta line...

Thanks again !

Posted on
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 am
FlyingDiver offline

You pretty much have to use a local dealer for shades.

But for switches, keypads, etc, I use a dealer in California that gives much better prices than a local dealer will, if you're going to do the install yourself.

Also, if you're not going to hit the 100 device limit for a single main repeater, you can do the on-line training and get the Essentials version of the software for free. Then you're not limited to the RRA2 Select line.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1