Are pico remotes supported?

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:37 pm
spiv offline

Are pico remotes supported?

Loving the plug-in and using it with Lutron RA2 Select.

Sort of a newbie question, but I haven't found the answer in looking through the readme on GitHub or the forum - Are Lutron pico remotes supported and if so, any setup information to be aware of and any limitations or issues to be aware of?

Ideally, I want to use them to control other Indigo devices and replace Insteon mini remote rf keypads.

I am planning to order a few pico's, but wanted to understand if they work with Indigo before choosing the flavors, etc.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Are pico remotes supported?

There's code in there to handle Picos. I didn't write that code, and have never actually tried it. I would suggest getting just one for testing purposes before you order a bunch.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 am
mssearch offline

I can confirm that the Pico Remotes work fine with 2 caveats...

#1 - EVERY single button has to be added as an individual device, and triggers need to be created for each button press. This could easily be improved upon by someone with the knowledge and inclination to update the plugin to handle this a bit better.

#2 - You need to have a $60 dummy device (Lutron Lamp Dimmer is the easiest) to make them work. Why? Apparently a Pico HAS to be associated with a Lutron Device in the app in order for the button presses to actually report anything.

The easiest way to have a device associated without actually effecting anything in your house is to get a Lamp Dimmer unit and plug it into an empty power outlet that isn't likely to be used/needed. Then just associate all of your picos with that Lamp Dimmer and go through the arduous task of programming every button...one at a time.

They sure are nice though as they fit right in with all of my Caseta switches and now I can make them do other useful stuff like control my Hue lights or really just about anything Indigo allows.

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I've never done Caséta, so I don't know if this works. In my RRA2 system, using the Essentials/Inclusive software, I can define a device that doesn't exist and program the keypads to control that device. And then the buttons work. The software complains that the device is not activated, but it still programs the keypads as if it existed. The Caséta software may not allow that.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

FYI - While working on some other code in the plugin, I discovered that keypress events were not implemented properly for Picos. When 7.1.0 is released, you might want to retry setting them up without having to use a dummy device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm
spiv offline

Awesome - just getting around to adding some Pico's so this is timely.

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:50 am
spiv offline

Just getting back to this after much changed on my end.

How do I actually add Pico's (as devices, or even one device per button) into Indigo? The device properties options seems to be geared to defining RA2 keypad buttons but not Picos.

I do see keypad presses being logged in the events status window even with nothing configured but don't see how to attach those events to a trigger.

On a related note, I also use RA2 Select and RA2 Full but have kept Indigo configured for the RA2 Select bridge. Did you release the ability to have multiple Lutron bridges configured in Indigo? I could do a dummy device in RA2, but don't want to lose control of my existing RA2 Select devices in Indigo (I run multiple Caseta Pro bridges, a RA2 Select, and a full RA2 bridge all on the same home network.)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:00 am
FlyingDiver offline

spiv wrote:
Just getting back to this after much changed on my end.

How do I actually add Pico's (as devices, or even one device per button) into Indigo? The device properties options seems to be geared to defining RA2 keypad buttons but not Picos.

I do see keypad presses being logged in the events status window even with nothing configured but don't see how to attach those events to a trigger.

Pico buttons are the last device model in the list after you select the Lutron type.
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.55.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.55.47 AM.png (764.11 KiB) Viewed 2475 times

spiv wrote:
On a related note, I also use RA2 Select and RA2 Full but have kept Indigo configured for the RA2 Select bridge. Did you release the ability to have multiple Lutron bridges configured in Indigo? I could do a dummy device in RA2, but don't want to lose control of my existing RA2 Select devices in Indigo (I run multiple Caseta Pro bridges, a RA2 Select, and a full RA2 bridge all on the same home network.)

I have a version that supports multiple bridges, but I never got as far as full testing and release. If this is something you're interested in, please subscribe to this issue: https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-r ... /issues/32

I'm going to be out of town for a few weeks, so I can't do anything on this until I get back. But if you're willing to help test, I'll try to have something available after Thanksgiving.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 am
spiv offline

Thanks!

I was trying to trigger on "Lutron RRA2/Caseta" event and instead switched to "device state changed" as the trigger. Do I have this configured correctly?

It works, but every Pico keypress is logging two events "-DEVICE 2,2,3 and -DEVICE 2,2,4" and all three possible trigger conditions "Becomes on, Becomes off, has any change" are fired twice.

(Right now, my trigger actions are just logging text messages so I can see how things are working and compare the debug output to the trigger firings.)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am
FlyingDiver offline

Sorry, I mis-understood what you meant.

Use the Keypad Button Press event. It works fine for Picos.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.35.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 12.35.40 PM.png (472.47 KiB) Viewed 2460 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:59 pm
spiv offline

Thanks!

Got it working now.

I have had to manually configure all my Lutron devices because cutting and pasting the integration report from my RA2 Select repeater in the plug-in configuration window didn't work, so I don't have any rooms defined in the Lutron plug-in.

Do I need to worry about that? In the trigger configuration, the only option that shows is "unknown" but the device choice is still selectable in the last pulldown of the configuration.

If I wanted to add rooms for the Lutron, is there a way to manually do that?

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:08 pm
FlyingDiver offline

spiv wrote:
I have had to manually configure all my Lutron devices because cutting and pasting the integration report from my RA2 Select repeater in the plug-in configuration window didn't work, so I don't have any rooms defined in the Lutron plug-in.

Do I need to worry about that? In the trigger configuration, the only option that shows is "unknown" but the device choice is still selectable in the last pulldown of the configuration.

If I wanted to add rooms for the Lutron, is there a way to manually do that?

No, there's no UI for manually adding rooms. It's totally optional - it's just a filtering mechanism to cut down the length of the last list.

But you should open an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-radiora2/issues

Attach the integration report and I'll see what I can do to get it working.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 pm
spiv offline

Ok, thanks! I'll have to generate a clean/empty Indigo install to test it again before I can post to GitHub. It was a while ago so I should test again and vet the problem still exists before submitting.

(The Lutron devices I control with Indigo are only a small number off my total RA2, so I didn't mind manually entering them when I set this up a year ago or so.)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 pm
FlyingDiver offline

And just to be clear, the copy-n-paste method was designed for Caseta using the mobile app (which is JSON data). RRA2 uses the "fetch XML from the repeater" method. I have no idea what's available for RRA2 Select, and I might need to modify the code to make it work.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 pm
spiv offline

RA2 Select uses a main bridge/repeater that looks just like the Caseta Pro but is black instead of white plastic. It has a telnet interface that supports the Lutron integration API. I assume the bridge has different firmware, but RA2 Select is similar to Caseta. The same mobile app is used. I would guess the integration report JSON is slightly different than what the Caseta Pro puts out and that is what is confusing the plug-in.

Page 1 of 1