Lutron plugin compatibility with HomeWorks QS MDU

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:23 pm
ParMan offline

Lutron plugin compatibility with HomeWorks QS MDU

Hi, I have a Lutron HomeWorks QS MDU installed in my new apartment, but I can not connect with the plugin.
The installer even set up a new account in the Lutron unit for me, but both default pw and the new account gives me *bad login from Gateway*
I was told that the QS MDU gateway is some slimmed down gateway for bulk customers.
Any way I can get the plugin to talk to this unit?

Thanks

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:37 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Lutron plugin compatibility with HomeWorks QS MDU

Turn on detailed debugging and restart the plugin, then post the output.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:00 am
ParMan offline

Thanks for quick reply.
I anticipated issues and had logging on already.
The result for the default login id/pw is the same as for the new pw I received.
Here's the log after reloading the plugin.

Code: Select all
  Reloading plugin "Lutron RRA2/Caséta 2022.0.4" using API v3.0
   Stopping plugin "Lutron RRA2/Caséta 2022.0.4" (pid 39592)
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        stop_concurrent_thread called
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        stop_concurrent_thread called
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta              Lutron Interface: Running IP Stop
   Stopped plugin "Lutron RRA2/Caséta 2022.0.4"
   Starting plugin "Lutron RRA2/Caséta 2022.0.4" (pid 44548)
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        logLevel = 5
   Started plugin "Lutron RRA2/Caséta 2022.0.4"
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta              Starting up Lutron RRA2/Caséta
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta              Lutron Interface: Running IP Start
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta              Lutron Interface: Connecting via IP to 192.168.1.90:23
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: self.connIP.read: b'login: '
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: Sending username
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: self.connIP.read: b'password: '
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: Sending password
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: Login process complete, connected
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: 11 characters read:
b'bad login\r\n'
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: self.buffer = 'b'bad login\r\n''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: msg = 'b'bad login\r''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: self.buffer = 'b'''
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Received command: bad login from Gateway 1647122904
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Gateway 1647122904 Unrecognized command: bad login
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug        Lutron Interface: 7 characters read:
b'login: '

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:09 am
FlyingDiver offline

Ok, I just wanted to confirm that the HWQS unit was putting out the login password prompt that the plugin expected. Which it is. So either the MDU units don't support the Lutron integration protocol or there's no login enabled for it. But it's prompting for a login, so I doubt it's the former, so I'm better on the latter. But I have no direct experience with HWQS so I don't know how to check.

Do you have access to the HWQS software? The setup is documented here: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumen ... ration.pdf

So until you can get the login to work, there's nothing I can do. You should be able to test it yourself using a telnet client. Apple doesn't ship telnet with MacOS anymore, but it can be installed using homebrew or ports or possible a GUI app from the app store.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:00 am
ParMan offline

I presume the plugin is mimicking how other luton clients accesses the gateway?
If this is correct, are there different access levels available in the gateway, and I could have been given a client login that does not have access to what the client needs? I have access to the system via the iOS app - with another id and password. Is the app accessing via a different route?
I have not used a telnet client for years, but I can try that.
What kind of settings do I need to enter apart from what I have? Comm sped etc is only for serial connects, right?

If I can convince the technician to enter his master login in the plugin, then the plugin should get what it needs, unless it this version of the gateway has not been dumbed down correct?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:02 am
ParMan offline

How/where can I get access to the HWQS software?

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:19 am
FlyingDiver offline

ParMan wrote:
I presume the plugin is mimicking how other luton clients accesses the gateway?

Not necessarily. The plugin uses the published Integration protocol, https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumen ... 040249.pdf. Lutron's own clients might use something else. I know that for RRa2 the current iOS app requires a connect bridge which (I think) implements their LEAP protocol. I think HWQS MDU might be the same, based on this diagram: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumen ... ecture.pdf

ParMan wrote:
If this is correct, are there different access levels available in the gateway, and I could have been given a client login that does not have access to what the client needs? I have access to the system via the iOS app - with another id and password. Is the app accessing via a different route?
I have not used a telnet client for years, but I can try that.
What kind of settings do I need to enter apart from what I have? Comm sped etc is only for serial connects, right?

If I can convince the technician to enter his master login in the plugin, then the plugin should get what it needs, unless it this version of the gateway has not been dumbed down correct?

I know there was a recent change in the RRa2 software such that you could not use the default telnet login for an automation controller. I had to set up a new user for Indigo. I have no idea how this relates to HWQS.

All you need for a telnet client is the IP address and (maybe) the port number. Lutron uses the default Telnet port of 22.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:45 am
ParMan offline

The installation comps tech speaks very poor english, so we're having some communication issues.
I'm trying to make him understand what I am trying to do via examples.
Does the plugin connect to the gateway using the same protocols and access as Crestron, B&O etc? The installer integrates those products, so that might help him understand what I need

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:57 am
FlyingDiver offline

ParMan wrote:
Does the plugin connect to the gateway using the same protocols and access as Crestron, B&O etc? The installer integrates those products, so that might help him understand what I need

Yes, it should be the same as any of the other Home Automation systems, unless they're using the new LEAP protocol. I have no way to know which. The standard protocol has been around a LONG time, so I would assume that's what they're using.

I would try real hard to get a Telnet client working so you can SHOW him what you're getting.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:03 am
FlyingDiver offline

Once you have telnet installed, you should be able to do this:
Code: Select all
jkeenan@Kraken ~ % telnet <Lutron IP address>
Trying 192.168.111.XX...
Connected to 192.168.111.XX.
Escape character is '^]'.
login: <username>
password: <password>

GNET> help
  To get help for a specific command, enter "<command>, ?" or "?HELP, <command>"

To attempt to auto-complete your command, press Tab.

How to properly set-up your Telnet window:

Right-click the bar at the top of the window. Go to 'Properties'
  In Screen Buffer Size, set Height to '9999'  Set Width in both Screen Buffer Size and Window Size to '160' (or greater)
  Select 'OK', and chose the option to modify the shortcut that created the window.

GNET>

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1