If you do run Home Assistant, where do you run it?

What platform do you run Home Assistant on?

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:27 pm
FlyingDiver offline

If you do run Home Assistant, where do you run it?

Mostly just curious.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:44 pm
mwoodage offline

Re: If you do run Home Assistant, where do you run it?

From a raspberry pi 4, which is sat next to my Mac mini.
I don’t use HA much, mainly playing with it to see what it does, but I don’t think I’ll be swapping over anytime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:08 pm
FlyingDiver offline

mwoodage wrote:
From a raspberry pi 4, which is sat next to my Mac mini.
I don’t use HA much, mainly playing with it to see what it does, but I don’t think I’ll be swapping over anytime soon!

You didn't vote! Oh, wait, I think polls don't work on Tapatalk.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:13 pm
mwoodage offline

Ah, I didn’t see the voting option - voted now :D

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:51 am
rhanson offline

Runs in a VM on one of my Proxmox servers. HA doesn't do anything, and I only installed it because I didn't realize at the time that Zigbee2MQTT was its own standalone system. I don't use HA at all, I just process the messages coming directly from z2m with a custom Indigo plugin.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:30 am
lwhitten offline

I follow this forum because I used to run Indigo, but switched to Home Assistant, and like to track Indigo progress.
For this question, I'm genuinely curious what the use case is for running both Indigo & Home Assistant. Certainly not saying there isn't one, just wondering what it is.

Posted on
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:07 am
FlyingDiver offline

lwhitten wrote:
I follow this forum because I used to run Indigo, but switched to Home Assistant, and like to track Indigo progress.
For this question, I'm genuinely curious what the use case is for running both Indigo & Home Assistant. Certainly not saying there isn't one, just wondering what it is.

I can think of two. One, for devices that have an Integration in Home Assistant but there is no plugin for Indigo. Such as my Mitsubishi mini-split AC in my garage. Using Home Assistant and the HA Agent plugin, I can monitor and control that device from Indigo.

Second, for extending Indigo control to remote locations. Either areas that are out of reach of the Z-wave network (remote building on the property), or to a totally distinct location. I can put an rPi running HA in my RV storage building, connect a few local sensors to HA, and monitor/control using Indigo from home.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:47 pm
vtmikel offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
lwhitten wrote:

I can think of two. One, for devices that have an Integration in Home Assistant but there is no plugin for Indigo. Such as my Mitsubishi mini-split AC in my garage. Using Home Assistant and the HA Agent plugin, I can monitor and control that device from Indigo.

Second, for extending Indigo control to remote locations. Either areas that are out of reach of the Z-wave network (remote building on the property), or to a totally distinct location. I can put an rPi running HA in my RV storage building, connect a few local sensors to HA, and monitor/control using Indigo from home.

Little late to this party, but I fall in the first category of these use cases. The plugin community for HA seems very strong. My preference is Indigo as my hub for everything. Even hardware decisions are influenced whether I can integrate with Indigo. But for those devices where there's no plugin and I'm not going to build one myself (or the complexity to create is beyond my skill), I use HA.

My HA only integrated devices are:
* Elgato Key Light
* Rivian R1-S
* Ecoflow
* Mysa Thermostat using the HomeKit Device hack

I have some minor variables being published Indigo -> HA so that I can use those states in some basic HA automations.

Am I correct that there is no way to mirror a HA device -> Indigo?

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:10 pm
FlyingDiver offline

vtmikel wrote:

Did you mean the other way around? Because HA Agent does HA -> Indigo.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:23 am
Different Computers offline

I’m running ha CORE directly on Ubuntu. But if I knew then what I know now I would not. So many unsupported features.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:21 am
autolog offline

I have recently started running Home Assistant OS as a VMWare Fusion VM on my M1 Mac mini. I downloaded the haos_generic-aarch64-11.2.vmdk.zip
from here: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases

The VMWare Fusion Player is free to use for personal use.

In Home Assistant I am running: Mosquitto MQTT broker, Zigbee2mqtt and Node Red. I used to run these in separate terminal sessions. The Zigbee dongle is now connected to the Home Assistant VM.

I run Indigo on the same Mac mini.

I have had to modify my Zigbee2mqtt plugin to handle the minor changes required having turned on the Home Assistant Integration with Zigbee2mqtt. This version is still in development. Having said that, everything seems to be working OK so far.

All in all, the setup and migration has been fairly easy. Probably the most time consuming bit was pointing all my iot devices configured to use MQTT, to the new Mosquitto MQTT broker IP address.

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:18 am
vtmikel offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
vtmikel wrote:

Did you mean the other way around? Because HA Agent does HA -> Indigo.

Pretty exciting. I wasn't aware of this plugin of yours. I have a number of my devices now working. Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:38 pm
MarcoGT offline

I am running HomeAssistance in a Docker container on the NAS

Posted on
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:04 am
CliveS offline

As there is no option for my setup I voted for Other(Please Explain).

I have HAOS running directly on my old 2014 Apple MacBook Retina (no docker/proxmox/VM) and I only use it to run Zigbee2MQTT, Mosquitto, Node Red, Tailscale TasmoAdmin and Scrypted.
As for using it for Home Automation I will stick with Indigo.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Page 1 of 1