Elgato Stream Deck plugin - early test release

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:09 pm
ericwass offline

Re: Elgato Stream Deck plugin - early test release

Man, I was so excited when I found this. But I can't get it to work. I followed the directions carefully but I can't seem to get it to function. It's not generating errors or anything, just no response when I press a button: the light doesn't toggle, the event log doesn't register anything. It definitely seems like plugin is not seeing any button presses at all.

Here's my configuration:
I am running 1 indigo server on an old iMac downstairs. I installed the Stream Deck plugin and configured it to port 9001 (then 9002 to test)
I am running the Stream Deck and Stream Deck software on a new 5k iMac upstairs. I installed the Stream Deck plugin and configured the button with the IP address of the old iMac, the device ID and the appropriate Indigo Action, etc

The one question I have is should the port number for the IP address match the one configured for the plugin (9001) or the Indigo Server itself (8000)? I have tried it both ways and even tried configuring the plugin to use the same port as the Indigo Server. Nothing has worked so far.

Anyway, any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:19 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Read back a dozen posts or so. The startup sequence when editing buttons is confusing. I need to write it up better.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 pm
ericwass offline

You mean this post?
It was supposed to work as described in the early posts in this thread. Basically, run the Indigo plugin on one system, and install the Streamdeck and it's plugin on a different one. Then when you configure an SD button, you put in the IP address and port on the remote Indigo system. If it's not working now, something must have changed somewhere. I'll investigate.

I think I have done that. I've configured the button in Stream Deck to hit the IP address of the Indigo Server on the old iMac downstairs. I've tried using the server's port (8000) as well as the arbitrary one I configured the plugin with (9001). Neither works. Am I being dense?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:37 pm
ericwass offline

Also, as I mentioned, I've tried configuring the port both as a unique number and matching the Indigo Server number. Neither has worked.

By the way, if we can get this going, I'm happy to contribute icons. In my former life I was a graphic designer.
thanks.

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:57 pm
FlyingDiver offline

The port number on the SD button is the port number of the StreamDeck plugin, and the IP address of the Indigo server. Restart the Indigo plugin after it's configured. Set debug level logging.

Configure the buttons on the StreamDeck software, then restart it. Does anything show up in the Indigo logs when you restart the StreamDeck software?

Also, make sure you're not running any firewall software on either Mac that could block the port connection between the two.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:13 pm
ericwass offline

Thanks again for the help.

I did all that (again). No movement on the event log when I relaunch the Stream Deck app and, of course, nothing when I hit a button. I have normal debug logging on. I know I have the right IP and the port number as configured in the Indigo plugin. No firewalls or anything like that that I can think of. Could my Eero routers be filtering somehow? Do they filter internal traffic???

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:48 am
FlyingDiver offline

Something is totally wonky with the StreamDeck right now. My system is doing weird crap too.

Anyway, it's most likely that the SD plugin is unable to connect to the port that the Indigo plugin has opened. To check this, you need to enable the HTML remote debugger:

Code: Select all
defaults write com.elgato.StreamDeck html_remote_debugging_enabled -bool YES

Then you need to open that page in Chrome (or Brave or some other Chromium browser, Safari does not work).

http://localhost:23654/

You'll get something like:
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.44.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.44.40 AM.png (208.57 KiB) Viewed 7029 times

Click on the com.flyingdiver.indigo line. Then click on the Console tab:
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.45.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.45.44 AM.png (138.21 KiB) Viewed 7029 times

You'll see something like:
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.47.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 10.47.15 AM.png (178.15 KiB) Viewed 7029 times

Do you see keyDown and keyUp events when you push a button? Do you get a connection error?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:48 am
ericwass offline

I hope you ignored the last post (I deleted it). I figured it out - just required a restart of Stream Deck after tinkering with the prefs file. Anyway, thank you for your help. You predicted correctly. It generates a lot of connection errors. KeyDown and KeyUp do show up on the log but I don't know what it means. I've attached it for your perusal.
Best,
Eric
Screen-Shot-2021-08-13-at-10.26.33-AM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2021-08-13-at-10.26.33-AM.jpg (333.19 KiB) Viewed 7010 times

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:56 am
FlyingDiver offline

Is that 10.0.1.189 address correct for the Indigo server running the plugin?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:00 pm
ericwass offline

Yes. And just to prove to myself it works, I type in 10.0.1.189:8000 and I get the authentication prompt for the Indigo Server control page. Which begs the question: does the fact that it requires authentication matter? I read it the comments that it shouldn't but I'm just double checking.

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:04 pm
FlyingDiver offline

ericwass wrote:
Yes. And just to prove to myself it works, I type in 10.0.1.189:8000 and I get the authentication prompt for the Indigo Server control page. Which begs the question: does the fact that it requires authentication matter? I read it the comments that it shouldn't but I'm just double checking.

No, there's no authentication in the Indigo plugin. Does the Indigo log show the port was opened properly on the specified port? You should set debug level logging.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

What version MacOS you running? I wonder if something changed recently that's causing issues.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:15 pm
ericwass offline

Here's what I got:
Aug 13, 2021 at 11:12:00 AM
   Reloading plugin "StreamDeck 0.0.1"
   Stopping plugin "StreamDeck 0.0.1" (pid 78231)
   StreamDeck                      Stopping StreamDeck
   Stopped plugin "StreamDeck 0.0.1"
   Debugging plugin "StreamDeck 0.0.1" (pid 97623)
   Started plugin "StreamDeck 0.0.1"
   StreamDeck                      Starting StreamDeck
   StreamDeck Debug                Started Websocket Server on port 9001

The Indigo machine is running 10.15.7 (Catalina)
The 5k iMac with the Stream Deck is running 11.4 (Big Sur)

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:17 pm
ericwass offline

Oh shit. Seeing it in front of me I see the plugin is 0.0.1 not 0.0.2. I assumed you had the most recent copy on GitHub where I downloaded it. Ok, downloading and trying 0.0.2.

Posted on
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:21 pm
ericwass offline

My god. That was it. It works now. I'm so sorry. I was aware that you had done an update and I purposely pulled it off the main repository on GitHub to make sure I had the latest. I never checked after that.. Crap. I owe you some beers or icons or whatever you'd like.

Can't wait to get my hands dirty with this. Fun!

Eric