New Plugin - Bond Home

Posted on
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:04 pm
FlyingDiver offline

New Plugin - Bond Home

I just got a Bond Home Bridge device to control my hurricane shutters. Turns out it also works with my electric fireplace. So I'm writing a plugin for it.

If you have any Bond Home devices, let me know what kind. I'd like to be able to support as many as possible.

Test version will be available soon.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 am
ryanbuckner offline

Re: New Plugin - Bond Home

I just ordered one to test out 2 ceiling fans. I'll let you know

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am
katiaf offline

My device is not a BOND bridge. It is a Minka Are fan, the kind that have the BOND integrated. I have made it work through scripts using the BOND API, and I also added it through homebridge to be able to get more functions in HomeKit. However, it would be nice if you are able to include it in the plugin. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:05 pm
FlyingDiver offline

katiaf wrote:
My device is not a BOND bridge. It is a Minka Are fan, the kind that have the BOND integrated. I have made it work through scripts using the BOND API, and I also added it through homebridge to be able to get more functions in HomeKit. However, it would be nice if you are able to include it in the plugin. Thanks!

I looked at your curl commands in the other thread, and the plugin should work the same with your fans as it does with devices using the Bond Bridge. I think the controls for my fans are much more limited, since there are only a few buttons on the controllers. But I think you'll be able to do everything with the plugin that you currently do using the curl commands.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 am
FlyingDiver offline

Why no On/Off commands?

Currently, the plugin defines all controllable devices as type "custom", which has no controls in the Indigo UI. My initial intention was to use a relay type for the shades and fireplaces, and a speed control device for the fans.

I ended up not doing so, mainly because there's no way for the plugin to determine the state of the device. This applies to devices controlled via a Bond Bridge. Using the bridge, all communication is one-way, from Indigo to the bridge to the device. There's no way to tell what the state is at start up, and there's no way to tell if a command is successful.

Is it important to have a devices with Indigo UI controls?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 am
rhanson offline

Great! Thanks for doing this...

I have the following talking to my Bridge:
- fireplace
- window shade
- multiple Minka Aire fans (but used with an actual Bond Bridge)

For the window, when I finally got around to integrating this, I was imagining specifying the speed of the shade movement (cm per 10s or something), and also the size of the window. That way the script/plugin would be able to do the math and put the window shade at any position between 0 (fully open) -100% (fully extended) by timing how long between the "up" or "down" and the "stop" commands are given. I was also going to put a zwave reed sensor on the bottom rail, so that I had a definitive way of knowing that the shade was fully opened (retracted), and also therefore at the zero-position, to make math more accurate.

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:03 am
siclark offline

Am I the only one that was thinking this was a plugin that would turn your house into something Q would be proud of, or maybe a lair of a super villain??

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:19 am
howartp offline

siclark wrote:
Am I the only one that was thinking this was a plugin that would turn your house into something Q would be proud of, or maybe a lair of a super villain??

Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm
katiaf offline

Re: Why no On/Off commands?

FlyingDiver wrote:
Currently, the plugin defines all controllable devices as type "custom", which has no controls in the Indigo UI. My initial intention was to use a relay type for the shades and fireplaces, and a speed control device for the fans.

I ended up not doing so, mainly because there's no way for the plugin to determine the state of the device. This applies to devices controlled via a Bond Bridge. Using the bridge, all communication is one-way, from Indigo to the bridge to the device. There's no way to tell what the state is at start up, and there's no way to tell if a command is successful.

Is it important to have a devices with Indigo UI controls?

Not sure if it is essential, but it would be nice to have. Can you elaborate on why there is no way to determine the state? I thought the API does have the option to query the state from the bridge and even something called "update state belief".

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:57 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Why no On/Off commands?

katiaf wrote:
Not sure if it is essential, but it would be nice to have. Can you elaborate on why there is no way to determine the state? I thought the API does have the option to query the state from the bridge and even something called "update state belief".

It's a one-way RF (or IR) transmission from the bridge to the device. The bridge may "believe" the shade is up, but it has no way to be sure. It's just a guess based on the last command sent.

If you ONLY control the device with the bridge, and the transmissions are 100% reliable, then it's probably correct. Not sure I trust that for something important. And I'm using this to control my hurricane shutters and fireplace. So it's kinda important to know for sure.

I'll look at it again at some point.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I just used my Bond to program a uc7078t hampton bay remote. Programming it was a nightmare, but this is an old unit.

I'll try your plugin to see how it works out and report.

Posted on
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:09 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I set up the plugin with the following: uc7078t hampton bay remote

1 Device - Bond Home
1 Device - Bond Device - Daughter's Ceiling Fan Light
2 Action Groups - Turn off Daughter's Ceiling Fan Light , Turn on Daughter's Ceiling Fan Light

On the first try, the plugin worked perfectly!

The hardest part was programming the Bond with the remote. That was trial and error for about 25 minutes.

I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can get you some more actionable feedback.

Posted on
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:48 am
Different Computers offline

Thanks very much for this plugin. It was a breeze to set up, and I now have my three ceiling fans in Indigo for the very first time!

Every kludgy thing about this setup was on the Bond side or about the fans, not about the plugin.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 am
FlyingDiver offline

Good to hear. Thanks.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)