LIFX Bridge Plugin (Beta) - Harmony Hub integration!

Posted on
Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

LIFX Bridge Plugin (Beta) - Harmony Hub integration!

Download here: https://github.com/FlyingDiver/indigo-l ... e/releases

This plugin allows control of Indigo controlled devices (actual devices, action groups, virtual devices, etc) from any client device or application that knows how to control LIFX devices.

The motivation for this plugin was that I couldn't find any way to get my Logitech Harmony Hub to control my Lutron lights. It has a fairly limited number of Home Automation devices it knows how to talk to, and Lutron's not on the list. :(

But, LIFX bulbs are, and there's a published protocol for talking to the bulbs. Well, the protocol for writing a client to control the actual LIFX bulbs is published. There's some unpublished variations required to emulate a bulbs so that existing clients (like the Harmony Hub) will talk to you. I've got it working at least well enough for people to try it.

Setup is a bit like the Alexa-Hue bridge in that you select the devices you want to publish through the bridge, including alias names. Not absolutely necessary for the bridge since you won't be trying to speak the names, but still useful since you'll be seeing the device names in the Harmony app.

Lots of things don't work yet. The built-in update check only runs on plugin startup. Switch devices should go on and off. Dimmer devices will only turn on and off. Setting dim level (brightness) is coming.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2016 9:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: LIFX Bridge Plugin (Beta)

Excellent! Thanks for another great plugin.

The Z-Wave plugin doesn't auto create them, but rather when the factory dialog opens, it gets a list of nodes which have yet to have Indigo devices created for them and uses that in the popup to create a device. Same with WeatherSnoop and iTunes. OTOH, I'm working on a plugin for I7 that will auto-create devices, but that's a bit of a special case because those devices are really subordinate to a "master" device and are somewhat transient.

My opinion would be to just keep a list of available LIFX bulbs that don't already have an Indigo device associated with them and then show that list in the factory dialog where the user can create a new Indigo device. Looking forward to that plugin as well.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri May 20, 2016 12:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: LIFX Bridge Plugin (Beta)

After getting the bridge to work with my test setup yesterday, today I got it to work with my Harmony Hub and Companion remote.

1. Install bridge plugin and define devices. I used several Lutron phantom button scenes that I already had.
  2. Using the Harmony app (I used the iOS version), add LIFX Bulbs in the home control section. The hub will run a discovery process and show you the list of "bulbs" it found.
  3. Again using the Harmony app, assign the "bulb" devices to one of the home control buttons.
  4. Done!
For some reason, Logitech only allows creating Home Control devices, and assigning them to buttons, using the mobile device app. You can't do any of this using the desktop MyHarmony app.

The four device buttons on the Companion should be enough for me to handle the lighting scenes for the area this remote is in. With the mobile device app, you could do a lot more.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed May 25, 2016 7:47 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: LIFX Bridge Plugin (Beta) - Harmony Hub integration!

Version 0.2.0 is available on GitHub. Link in first message of thread has been updated.

This version supports control of LIFX devices through the normal Indigo methods. All the device creation and control code is really new and hasn't had much testing. Only relay controls (on/off/toggle) are supported at this time. Dimmer control is going to be much more complicated due to the way the LIFX protocol is implemented.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline

v0.2.1 is now available.

I took out the code to control actual LIFX devices since there's already a supported plugin that does that much better than this plugin probably ever would. No point in reinventing the wheel.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:42 am
durosity offline

Feature request (oh boy I've been wanting a lot of these lately ;)

Ability to have different groups of devices. I've currently got two harmony hubs (one elite, one ultimate) in use in different rooms. At present if I add the lounge and bedroom devices to LIFX bridge then they appear on both remotes. I'd rather be able to just have the lounge ones on the elite and the bedrooms devices on the ultimate as otherwise it causes confusion for the wife.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:22 am
FlyingDiver offline

durosity wrote:
Feature request (oh boy I've been wanting a lot of these lately ;)

Ability to have different groups of devices. I've currently got two harmony hubs (one elite, one ultimate) in use in different rooms. At present if I add the lounge and bedroom devices to LIFX bridge then they appear on both remotes. I'd rather be able to just have the lounge ones on the elite and the bedrooms devices on the ultimate as otherwise it causes confusion for the wife.

I can sort of see why you want something like this, but I'm drawing a total blank on how the UI would work.

I currently only have the Hub+Companion, so I don't have a remote with a display. But I think the display looks a lot like the mobile app, doesn't it? (I use the iPhone one). It shows a list of all the LIFX devices that the hub knows about. There's no way to group them there, that I can find.

To be honest, I never figured on anyone trying to control individual devices on the remote. I designed it to add devices (lights) to activities, or mapping to specific hard buttons on the companion. In my case, the actual devices exported via the bridge are Lutron phantom buttons that do a complete scene at once. I should probably allow an action group to be configured as a device, but I think C4W has a plugin that already maps a set of action groups to a pseudo-device, so that would do it even better.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:29 am
durosity offline

I suppose from a UI point of view it could be done by having a device where you select the items that are in that group.

I'm wondering, is there any unique identifier that the plugin creates to show as different groups of bulbs? If not perhaps I could duplicate the plugin with a unique com.unique.name.thing (that's the technical name for it btw ;) and create a second group that way?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:40 am
FlyingDiver offline

durosity wrote:
I suppose from a UI point of view it could be done by having a device where you select the items that are in that group.

I'm wondering, is there any unique identifier that the plugin creates to show as different groups of bulbs? If not perhaps I could duplicate the plugin with a unique com.unique.name.thing (that's the technical name for it btw ;) and create a second group that way?

You're looking at this from the wrong side. Unless there's some way for the Hub to group the devices, then nothing I do on the plugin side is going to make any difference. The hub sends a broadcast type message on the local LAN looking for all LIFX devices. The plugin responds to that request with a reply for each of the published devices. Multiple plugins would also reply for each of their published devices.

Hmm. I wonder. It MIGHT be possible to rework things so that the plugin only responds with a subset of devices for each querying client (Hub, etc). That would mean identifying the clients by IP address, and have separate device lists for each. Probably OK for Harmony Bridge clients, but if you're also using a mobile app to control pseudo-LIFX devices (probably along with real LIFX devices), things get messy in a hurry.

I need to think about this some more.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:48 am
durosity offline

Aha I see. Well don't worry too much about it, it's hardly going to be something many (if any) people need. It's just nice to be able to press a single button on the remote to have it turn off the TV, the lights and the blinds. :)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:51 pm
popcorn-in-sac offline

I'm a long-time user of Indigo, but new to the LIFX plug-in. I've also used the Logitech Harmony hub-based remotes for a few years, but just purchased a new Ultimate remote, with the Home Control functionality.

Thanks to FlyingDiver for this plug-in -- it does seem to fill a real need in integration between the two platforms without going some antiquated IR-based route. I have previously used the Insteon IR Receiver functionality, and found it extremely painful to setup and maintain.

Well, on to a question/issue. I've defined two virtual devices (action groups) to the LIFX plug-in for export. The Harmony remote sees them just fine. I can assign these devices to the Home Control buttons as well. It all seems to work as designed. The issue comes in with actual use. At different times, I'm getting multiple LIFX "on" commands received for a single button press. Sometimes it's just one received "On", while other times, I'm getting up to seven identical LIFX "on" commands in Indigo. Since these are really driving action groups, it creates a tremendous amount of traffic, turning on/off many different devices in that group. Whether I get one "On", or up to seven seems random.

I've looked for any settings anywhere that might affect this type of behavior, but there doesn't seem to be any, anywhere.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Anything anyone has seen before?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted on
Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:27 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I don't use Action Groups for this, but I don't see how that could be the problem. I have a button on the Harmony Companion set to "turn on" an LIFX device, which triggers a Lutron scene. The log looks like this:

Code: Select all
   Harmony Hub Debug               AV Closet Hub: messageHandler: Event pressType, Type = short
   LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Repeater Button 012 - Dinner Lights, payload = [('Power', 65535), ('Duration', 1000)]
   LIFX Bridge                     Set on state of device 963904651 to 65535
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta             sent "Repeater Button 012 - Dinner Lights" on
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug       Sending network command:  #DEVICE,1,12,3
   Lutron RRA2/Caséta Debug       sent "Repeater Button 012 - Dinner Lights" False #DEVICE,1,12,3
   Harmony Hub Debug               AV Closet Hub: messageHandler: Event automation notify, contents:
   Harmony Hub Debug               AV Closet Hub: Device: lifx-0:22:57:116:4:139, status: 0, brightness: 0, on: True

You can see the Harmony got a button press, then sent the LIFX command to turn on a (single) light. That caused the Lutron plugin to "press" one of the phantom button, which set up the lighting scene. Then the Harmony reported what it did (turned on a light).

You should turn on debugging for the LIFX and Harmony plugins and then do your normal activities. When you get the extra button presses, please post the log output for those two plugins.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:05 pm
popcorn-in-sac offline

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the help with this. I'm not using the Harmony Hub plug-in -- only the LIFX one. I turned on debugging as you suggested, then tested it. It seemed more well-behaved than I've seen it prior, but eventually, after several attempts, it did show the multiple command issue.

Sorry for the long(ish) output, but it does show it working normally for several on/off cycles, then eventually showing a sample of multiples. I just purchased and setup this Harmony Ultimate remote (as new), and it did load the most current firmware, etc. This could very well be a bug of some sort on the Logitech side -- really have no idea at this point.

Nov 10, 2016, 9:56:24 AM
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Dining Room - Dining Mode, payload = [('Power', 65535), ('Duration', 1000)]
  LIFX Bridge                     Set on state of device 997237165 to 65535
  Action Group                    Dining Room - Dining Mode On
  Virtual Devices                 sent "Dining Room - Dining Mode" on
  Sent INSTEON                    "PowerLinc Interface" on (scene 5 - Dining Room - Dining Mode On)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - Dining Overhead Light" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Entry Way - Entry Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Entry KeypadLinc (No Load)" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Floor Lamp" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Table Lamps" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Kitchen) - Kitchen Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - KeypadLinc (No Load)" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Entry Way - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Bedroom) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Kitchen) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Mark Office) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Dining Room - Dining Mode, payload = [('Power', 0), ('Duration', 1000)]
  LIFX Bridge                     Set on state of device 997237165 to 0
  Action Group                    Dining Room - Dining Mode Off
  Virtual Devices                 sent "Dining Room - Dining Mode" off
  Sent INSTEON                    "PowerLinc Interface" on (scene 6 - Dining Room - Dining Mode Off)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - Dining Overhead Light" on (scene 6 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Floor Lamp" on (scene 6 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Table Lamps" on (scene 6 cleanup)

Nov 10, 2016, 9:57:01 AM
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Dining Room - Dining Mode, payload = [('Power', 65535), ('Duration', 1000)]
  Sent INSTEON                    "PowerLinc Interface" on (scene 5 - Dining Room - Dining Mode On)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - Dining Overhead Light" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Entry KeypadLinc (No Load)" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Table Lamps" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Kitchen) - Kitchen Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - KeypadLinc (No Load)" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Entry Way - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Bedroom) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Kitchen) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Mark Office) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 5 cleanup)
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Dining Room - Dining Mode, payload = [('Power', 0), ('Duration', 1000)]
  LIFX Bridge                     Set on state of device 997237165 to 0
  Action Group                    Dining Room - Dining Mode Off
  Virtual Devices                 sent "Dining Room - Dining Mode" off
  Sent INSTEON                    "PowerLinc Interface" on (scene 6 - Dining Room - Dining Mode Off)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - Dining Overhead Light" on (scene 6 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Floor Lamp" on (scene 6 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Table Lamps" on (scene 6 cleanup)

Nov 10, 2016, 9:57:30 AM
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Family Room - Movie Mode, payload = [('Power', 65535), ('Duration', 1000)]
  LIFX Bridge                     Set on state of device 1261709392 to 65535
  Action Group                    Family Room - Movie Mode
  Virtual Devices                 sent "Family Room - Movie Mode" on
  Sent INSTEON                    "PowerLinc Interface" on (scene 3 - Family Room - Movie)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Floor Lamp" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Table Lamps" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Entry Way - Entry Lights" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Entry KeypadLinc (No Load)" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Kitchen) - Kitchen Overhead Lights" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - KeypadLinc (No Load)" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Dining Room (Kitchen) - Dining Overhead Light" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Entry Way - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Bedroom) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Kitchen) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 3 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Hallway (Mark Office) - Hallway Overhead Lights" on (scene 3 cleanup)

Nov 10, 2016, 9:57:48 AM
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Family Room - Movie Mode, payload = [('Power', 0), ('Duration', 1000)]
  LIFX Bridge                     Set on state of device 1261709392 to 0
  Action Group                    Family Room - Off
  Virtual Devices                 sent "Family Room - Movie Mode" off
  Sent INSTEON                    "PowerLinc Interface" on (scene 2 - Family Room - Off)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Floor Lamp" on (scene 2 cleanup)
  Sent INSTEON                    "Family Room - Table Lamps" on (scene 2 cleanup)

Nov 10, 2016, 9:58:16 AM

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:30 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I just pushed a pre-release version of the plugin with additional logging info. Please install it and retest. You'll have to do it manually, the internal updater won't do pre-release versions.

https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-l ... tag/v0.2.2

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:36 pm
popcorn-in-sac offline

Okay, updated to the new version, and tried an action.

Nov 10, 2016, 10:33:49 AM
  Stopping plugin LIFX Bridge (pid 460)
  LIFX Bridge                     Shutting down LIFX Bridge
  Stopped plugin LIFX Bridge
  Upgrading plugin LIFX Bridge to newer version 0.2.2 (previous version moved to trash)
  Loading plugin "LIFX Bridge 0.2.2"
  Starting plugin "LIFX Bridge 0.2.2" (pid 2590)
  LIFX Bridge Debug               Debugging enabled
  Started plugin "LIFX Bridge 0.2.2"
  LIFX Bridge                     Starting LIFX Bridge
  LIFX Bridge Debug               Plugin version detected: 0.2.2
  LIFX Bridge Debug               Current version is: 0.2.2
  LIFX Bridge Debug               Getting latest release from FlyingDiver/indigo-lifx-bridge...
  LIFX Bridge Debug               GET /repos/FlyingDiver/indigo-lifx-bridge/releases/latest
  LIFX Bridge Debug               HTTP 200 OK
  LIFX Bridge Debug               Latest release is: 0.2.1
  LIFX Bridge Debug               refreshDeviceList called
  LIFX Bridge Debug               found published device: 997237165 - Dining Room - Dining Mode () - 00:16:3b:70:a1:ad
  LIFX Bridge Debug               found published device: 1261709392 - Family Room - Movie Mode () - 00:16:4b:34:28:50
  LIFX Bridge Debug               2 devices published

Nov 10, 2016, 10:34:38 AM
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Dining Room - Dining Mode, payload = [('Power', 65535), ('Duration', 1000)], sequence num = 31
  LIFX Bridge Debug               LightSetPower command is for device: Dining Room - Dining Mode, payload = [('Power', 65535), ('Duration', 1000)], sequence num = 31