X10 based home security

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2007 8:53 am
Matt offline

X10 based home security

I have a small house (1200 square feet, 3 doors, a garage door, 5 sliding glass windows and a sliding glass door) I just decideded that i want to monitor what doors and windows are open instead of just being able to turn devices on and off. It seems like a cheap x10 security system is the way to go, but I'm not sure.

I don't know anything about how an x10 security devices would communicate with Indigo. I don't even know if security device signals can be converted to something Indigo 2 would recognize or how.

Can someone recommend a primer on setting up such a system or can someone post their thoughts on the best way I could monitor 5 windows, 1 sliding glass door and 2 regular doors?

Any input would be welcome.

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2007 9:34 am
macpro offline

(No subject)

Marmitek has the DS90 door sensors that send their status via RF.
To receive RF signals in Indigo, you can use a W800RF32.

I have this combination working in my home without any problems.

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2007 4:01 pm
Matt offline

(No subject)

Thanks for the suggestiion.

I don't think that will work with my setup. I have a V572A located separate from my computer. I am not sure that it has the same capability to detect the Marmitek DS90 signal that the W800RF32 does, a quick search tells me that it isn't.

I'm just fantasizing here, but wouldn't it be nice if X10 made some simple universal modules that could be connected to a lot of different inputs - reed switches, contact switches, etc and ran off batteries?

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2007 4:45 pm
ken_jacobs offline

(No subject)

I ended up using motion detectors around the house in order to prevent entry as well as vandalism to the exterior of the house, yard, and car.

Posted on
Wed May 16, 2007 11:21 pm
macpro offline

(No subject)

Matt wrote:
I don't think that will work with my setup. I have a V572A located separate from my computer. I am not sure that it has the same capability to detect the Marmitek DS90 signal that the W800RF32 does, a quick search tells me that it isn't.

The V572A is not capable of detecting the codes de DS90 is sending. But I think you can replace the V572A by a W800RF32 without losing functionality. In that case, you would have to connect the W800RF32 to your Mac (via a serial to USB converter).
As a bonus, you can get a faster response from Indigo, because the RF signals reach Indigo sooner: they don't travel over the power lines anymore.
Here is a page showing differences between the two modules.

Posted on
Thu May 17, 2007 8:43 am
polycron offline

(No subject)

I completely agree with Macpro. The W800RF32 option works great for me. I'm running (21) DS10A's monitoring doors, windows, garage door, pool gate, etc. I'm also running 6 motion sensors as well. The sensors were extremely cheap. Battery life is about a year or more. And much to my surprise they work well in the sub zero temps of WI in the winter.

I'm not familiar with the DS90's. Can someone enlighten me on the difference between the DS90 and the DS10A?

I have been slowly migrating my equipment from X10 to Insteon this past year and am now down to just the RF sensors and one chime module. I personally do not consider the X10 RF modules as true X10 (since there is no crappy powerline issues to deal with) and therefore it is not on my replacement schedule for anytime soon.

Macpro's comments on the speed are absolutely TRUE. Unlike X10 running over the powerline (at least in my house), the wireless RF stuff connected direct to the Mac running indigo is FAST.

Posted on
Thu May 17, 2007 8:13 pm
Matt offline

(No subject)

Unfortunately the W800RF32 has to be connected via USB to your computer. My home autmation computer is located on my breakfast bar in the kitchen and so any additional wiring would have to be done through the walls from under the counter top - more work than I am interested in doing.

The nice thing about the V572A that people seem to overlook is that it can be located in a separate location than the computer that is running the automation software.

As far as the speed of the W800RF32 over the V572A; I have no need for speed, my only interest is reliability and accuracy.

The V572A more than meets my needs. I looked up some third party hardware that could be connected to an EZIO8SA, but the cost of all of the hardware is more than I want to spend just to monitor the open/closed status of my doors and windows wirelessly.

I am just surprised that with the X10 security conoles none of them transmitt X10 signals via the poewrline to home automation software. I would think that feature would be inherent in any x10 type console.

Posted on
Thu May 17, 2007 10:56 pm
macpro offline

(No subject)

There is another option: use them both.
The V572A for your regular X10 stuff and the W800RF32 in your kitchen for door sensors. For a small house this shouldn't be a problem.

Posted on
Mon May 21, 2007 8:06 am
Matt offline

(No subject)

Looks like there is a v572 version in the works that will receive x10 security sgnals in the future. Guess I can just handle the door/window monitoring with that when it comes out.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm
martinc offline

(No subject)

Matt, I am getting an error of;

Error undefined RF packet type (28) from interface
Error undefined byte (60) from interface
Error undefined byte (1A) from interface
Error undefined byte (42) from interface
Error undefined byte (03) from interface
Error undefined byte (0B) from interface

On a few of my door sesnors, the rf seems to be working fine.

ANy ideas?

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2007 7:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

This can happen when the sensor is out-of-range, the batteries are low, or there is some type of RF interference. Can you try moving a sensor or the W800RF32 next to one another, and try fresh batteries?

If you still have the problem, then I have a question. Are the sensors that give the error the same model as ones that do not? If it is a unique model that is giving the error, then I might need to tweak Indigo's processing of the command. I can work with you on this if that is the case.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2007 7:31 pm
martinc offline

(No subject)

[quote="support"]This can happen when the sensor is out-of-range, the batteries are low, or there is some type of RF interference. Can you try moving a sensor or the W800RF32 next to one another, and try fresh batteries?

Yes done all this, I have the V572A

[quote="support"] If you still have the problem, then I have a question. Are the sensors that give the error the same model as ones that do not? If it is a unique model that is giving the error, then I might need to tweak Indigo's processing of the command. I can work with you on this if that is the case.

Ok little more info, same model DS10A on all my units - This worked fine for last 3 months I notied around 3 weeks ago this one senors had stopped. The error does not happen all the time infact the senors does not work at all most of the time, changed batterys 3 times so cant be them. I do see the light on the Powerhouse unit resopening without any problems.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2007 7:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

martinc wrote:
Yes done all this, I have the V572A.

Do you have the new V572R32, which handles the X10 RF security codes (sent by the DS10A)? I thought it was still in beta?

If not, then I'm not sure how Indigo is receiving the codes from the DS10A -- only the W800RF32 or CM15 can pick up those RF commands.

Matt

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm
martinc offline

(No subject)

Nope just the standard V572A.

Wired as it was working like a dream, would any of the updates effect it? As I said was great until 3 weeks ago mind you other DS10A units are working fine in my house.
Last edited by martinc on Wed May 30, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2007 9:14 pm
Matt offline

(No subject)

Are you using something to pick up the RF signals in addition to the V572A? The V572A does not work (yet) with security X10 devices.

(This is not the support Matt.)