Twilio Error

Posted on
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:09 pm
jltnol offline

Twilio Error

So this is NOT an issue with Indigo, and NOT an issue with the Twilo plugin, but with Twilio. I've submitted a support ticket with them but while waiting for a reply, thought I'd ask the Brain Trust here to see if anyone might have some info.

I've been using Twilio to send SMS messages from Indigo for awhile now and up until recently, it worked just fine. Lately, SOME messages don't go thru. I was beating my head as to why and ended up checking the Messages Log on the Twilio website only to find a lot of messages were "Undelivered", with the error code in the attachment.

Funny thing is the only number I send FROM is my Twilio phone number, and the only number I send TO is my cell phone. Messages are only randomly delivered. At first I thought I was sending too many too fast, but that is not the case as sometimes hours after the last message, the next one hangs.... and sometimes hours after the last message, the next message goes thru.

Just asking if anyone has any ideas while I wait on Twilio Support.

THANKS
Attachments
error message.png
error message.png (39.75 KiB) Viewed 4224 times

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:31 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Twilio Error

I've been getting emails from Twilio for months warning about this. See. https://pages.twilio.com/10DLC-HelpArticles-WW.html

Unregistered A2P 10DLC phone numbers will be blocked from sending messages in the US after August 31, 2023. Complete the registration process to avoid disruption in your message delivery.

I was unable to find any way around doing the registration. There does not appear to be any way to designate a number for test or private use only. I don't think this is a Twilio lack, but that there's no loophole in the telecom regs.

I've gone through the process of registering my "brand" and "campaign" as required. But there is a several week delay in getting them verified. So not all of my SMS messages are going though.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:52 am
jltnol offline

Thanks

I finally got a reply from them this morning. Honestly, Twilio is WAY beyond my abilities. I only managed to get this far with their support, but even just getting SMS's to work in both directions was a big effort. it's just too complicated for me.

I did register for a "campaign", and had them send my cell # a confirmation, so we'll see how this plays out. But in the end, I can easily see where I'm going to have to find a new way to send SMS's from Indigo to my phone.

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:11 am
FlyingDiver offline

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. And this is all going to cost more, even if it gets approved.

Verizon has an email to SMS gateway, which I just tested and it seems to work fine. If you're on Verizon, it's 1234567890@vtext.com.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:17 pm
jltnol offline

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm sure they have something similar. May give that a try. Last time I think the latency was kind of an issue... .but none of these messages are particularly time sensitive. I"ll look at the iMessages plugin, but Apple is giving me fits in trying to recover an old Apple ID Password for some reason... but will try again and see.

I did reply to my Twilio Support outlining what I was using their service for just to see If there is a way around all this regulation... but I am not hopeful at all.

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Definitely let me know what they tell you. I didn't actually contact them, but everything I could find on the website indicated there was no simple solution.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:25 pm
durosity offline

Outta interest, any particular reason why you want SMS messages to your phone rather than something like Pushover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:29 pm
FlyingDiver offline

durosity wrote:
Outta interest, any particular reason why you want SMS messages to your phone rather than something like Pushover?

Because Messages is always open on my Mac, and it's not another app pestering me with notifications.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:01 pm
jltnol offline

I think I tried pushover at some point but could never get it to work.... more of a "ME" problem than anything else, but will take another look.

Just did a few tests with incoming email/triggers, and they are taking about 40 seconds from send to process. Not the end of the world, but I'm hoping for a better solution.

I AM running Homebridge for my LG TV and ran across a few plugins that look interesting, mainly this one.
https://github.com/notify-events/homebridge#readme
but like with Twilio, getting this to work with Homebridge AND Indigo may be a road too far for me.

I'm HOPING that the guys will put in some kind of notification system into the Indigo Touch app, but realized that's probably not going to happen soon, if at all.

For the moment, I've added Send Email to the most important Indigo triggers, and that will hold me while I look at other options, but will take another look at Pushover for sure.

As always, thanks for your never ending help and support.

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:04 pm
jltnol offline

So I did finally get Pushover to work, kind of. Still have some issues to wade thru, but the BIGGEST one is when driving in my car, notifications are silent. Don't hear them on my phone and they they don't show up via CarPlay.

Of course, this is an iOS/Apple/CarePlay issue, but am curious if I'm just doing something wrong here. I've got ALL the types of notifications turn ON for Pushover, but unless my phone is unlocked and I'm actually looking at it.... which is hard to do while driving.... I miss those notifications..

Posted on
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

This is why I didn't switch to Pushover. Could not figure out how to get notifications the way I wanted.

You might want to start a thread on this in viewforum.php?f=65 or viewforum.php?f=136 as PushOver users might be ignoring a Twilio thread.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:36 pm
jltnol offline

Will do.

I also posted on the Pushover page as well, and although I wasn't the first, the previous post there about this topic wasn't.... new.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1