Trigger - Specific Activity

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 pm
Rjay offline

Trigger - Specific Activity

New to Indigo and trialing it to replace Vera. With the Harmony plugin when you have a trigger event from say a harmony activity notification is there any way to choose the specific activity rather than just any activity notification?

I notice from the screen I am looking at I don't get to choose the specific activity that is launching just which harmony hub is launching "any" activity unless I am missing something. I just assumed you would want differentiation e.g. you might want a set of actions to execute if you turn on the TV activity on your Harmony Remote but not if you Turn on the Fan activity on your remote.

thoughts, do I possibly need to do it by a variable in the conditions section if any variable is filled with the currently executing activity or is it just not showing the activity name in a dropdown as this remote only has one activity on it presently?

Attachments
HarmonyTrigger.jpg
HarmonyTrigger.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Posted on
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:58 am
siclark offline

Re: Trigger - Specific Activity

Welcome to Indigo from a fellow Vera sufferer. I abandoned ship almost 2 years ago and could not be happier. You will be (already are hopefully) amazed by how fast you can build triggers, actions etc compared to Vera, with no reboots required!
However it did take me a few weeks to struggle with the different concepts, and I did miss PLEG for building more complex triggers (I still cant do Python)
You'll find lots of help here.

Specifically for your question, if you want to trigger on a specific activity starting or ending then you need to trigger on the device change of the Harmony Hub device. So
Type: Device State Changed
Device: Harmony Hub
Current Activity
Becomes equal to your activity name.

You can also use this to trigger when it becomes equal to POwerOff to trigger something when everything turned off etc.

Posted on
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:13 am
FlyingDiver offline

Rjay wrote:
New to Indigo and trialing it to replace Vera. With the Harmony plugin when you have a trigger event from say a harmony activity notification is there any way to choose the specific activity rather than just any activity notification?

I notice from the screen I am looking at I don't get to choose the specific activity that is launching just which harmony hub is launching "any" activity unless I am missing something. I just assumed you would want differentiation e.g. you might want a set of actions to execute if you turn on the TV activity on your Harmony Remote but not if you Turn on the Fan activity on your remote.

thoughts, do I possibly need to do it by a variable in the conditions section if any variable is filled with the currently executing activity or is it just not showing the activity name in a dropdown as this remote only has one activity on it presently?

The intent when the plugin was written was to use the Conditions section and match the device state "Activity Name" to the activity you want. It's a device state, not a variable.

You could also use the generic device state change event that @siclark describes. Works the same.

I'm not sure why I didn't implement a popup for specific activities. Why don't you file an enhancement request? https://github.com/FlyingDiver/Indigo-Harmony/issues

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 am
siclark offline

I didnt think of using the Condition to restrict the trigger. A nice idea as well.

Posted on
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:49 pm
Rjay offline

Thanks @SiClark yep about 18months for me to and within reason I haven't had a bad run with Vera, it was a very small investment initially to really test how well ZWave etc worked and overall has been fine. Devices work, support is okish. Your right my core reason for changing is there is literally no logic engine, which baffles me because literally the bread and butter of an automation hub (software or hardware based) is to support a bunch of devices and make logical decisions on their interactions. I just found with Vera I was having to use a hybrid of Reactor (newer slightly more user friendly PLEG style plugin) and Virtual Devices (using them like variables) in work arounds to do logic so it took so long, either that or you had to raw code in LUA which to me just seemed that you were spending more time getting an automation or scene to work that writing new scenes. Trialed a bunch of different hardware or software and ended up here, seems the best compromise of versatility, quick design of automation and flexbility of devices/plugins. I also like that it will force me to learn some more Python. I mayalso have to stop hassling crew for using MacOS now that I have one of these in my server rack as well :D

Onto the actual topic at hand, thanks for that @FlyingDriver and @SiClark I am sure both those methods will achieve what I am chasing. Will fill in that feature request. Not a biggie as the feature is already there but I spose in that screenshot is where I logically thought it would appear from a GUI perspective :)

@SiClark if you have any other tips for a Vera refugee feel free to drop me any suggestions, PM is fine so we this thread stays relevant to the topic :)

thanks

Page 1 of 1