Re: Logitech closing their API

That's amazing Joe. Enjoy christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:32 am
durosity offline

Woo!

However this begs the question of how long until Logitech close this functionality too? And is there going to be any downsides to it?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:52 am
siclark offline

Apparently they did announce 5 years ago they would close the API that we have all been using so they are hardly quick to make changes.
Also as their iOS app also uses the same method for local control I guess they are happy with the security of it? I'm no IT security expert by any means though.

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

No worries, fellas...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/21/18152037/logitech-will-restore-third-party-harmony-home-automation

It still leaves a bad taste in people's mouths who were affected, though. Stupid big companies...

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 pm
GlennNZ offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
No worries, fellas...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/21/18152037/logitech-will-restore-third-party-harmony-home-automation
It still leaves a bad taste in people's mouths who were affected, though. Stupid big companies...

Thanks for this update!
Was running gamut of emotions - but can report have updated three hubs as detailed above (very very straightforward, two button presses really only)
& back to Indigo and Harmony control, yah!

G

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:32 am
durosity offline

So glad to hear they’ve reversed course on this.. I was about to return 3 elites I picked up on Black Friday!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:09 am
FlyingDiver offline

Glad this is fixed without having to do major surgery on the plugin.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:19 pm
siclark offline

Anyone else noticed things behind slow with their new fix for this?

Posted on
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm
colovin offline

I haven't noticed any slow down. My main use is it turns on a BUNCH of battery operated puck lights. I'm thrilled that it's back working, if left to me to turn on they tended not to be turned on. :-) So I don't know if I'm a good example but all my lights (about 30) come on at sunset and go off at their prescribed time. And Dish get's turned to the ABC affiliate at about 3 am so Dish is active not asleep in the morning when I get up. It's doing everything I want it to.

Indigo 7.1.1, OS 10.14.6, MacMini .3.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 am
Swancoat offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
No worries, fellas...

This is great to hear. I actually came back to this thread after letting a rant build up over the entire Christmas break over my product now doing less and feeling like a bait-and-switch but will gladly set it aside :D.

At this point, my biggest complaint about this remote is that I didn't buy it sooner. I love it. It addresses almost all of the shortcomings I've ever had with any of my Harmony remotes. The plugin is huge for me. I love that I can have Indigo start an activity via the plugin, and when I pick up the remote it's in the correct 'mode' for that activity.

So thanks FlyingDiver for the super-useful plugin!

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:23 pm
rustyhodge offline

I followed the link that had instructions on how to get Logitech to send an update with the fix to my Harmony. After that, and I confirmed it was working again with the plugin, I firewalled it off from the internet. I'm surprised at how aggressive it is about "phoning home" and reporting who knows what to Logitech. But all that info they're gathering - even in aggregate - about how people use their home entertainment systems is valuable. But since they don't give you a true way to opt out, the firewall is the only solution.

If you're using Unifi's Security Gateway, here's how to do that:

1. Make sure your Harmony has a static IP address (from the UniFi software - look for clients, find the Harmony Hub, select it, -> Config (right hand side) -> Network -> check "Use fixed IP address" (you can use the address it's currently assigned).

2. Firewall it:
UniFi UI -> Settings -> Routing & Firewall -> Firewall -> WAN OUT -> Create New Rule -> Action/Drop, Source/Create IPv4 Address Group -> Enter the IP address above -> Save
Optional, select the "Log" option to see what it's doing.

I don't recall if the log is exposed via the GUI, you might need to ssh into the USG to see the log in /var/log/messages but you'll see stuff like:

Dec 27 13:43:10 Gateway kernel: [WAN_OUT-2000-D]IN=eth0 OUT=eth2 MAC=80:2a:a8:8e:ea:41:00:04:20:f3:xxxxxxxxx0 SRC=x.x.x.x DST=54.241.191.233 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=36725 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=60174 DPT=80 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x64800000

When it's being blocked.

One caveat: it seems like when the net is blocked, the iOS app is a bit slower to respond. The hardware remote and the Indigo commands are still all instantaneous. The iOS app lag isn't real serious, but it is noticeable for me... but it does work.

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am
gt3mike offline

rustyhodge wrote:
I followed the link that had instructions on how to get Logitech to send an update with the fix to my Harmony. After that, and I confirmed it was working again with the plugin, I firewalled it off from the internet. I'm surprised at how aggressive it is about "phoning home" and reporting who knows what to Logitech. But all that info they're gathering - even in aggregate - about how people use their home entertainment systems is valuable. But since they don't give you a true way to opt out, the firewall is the only solution.

If you're using Unifi's Security Gateway, here's how to do that:

1. Make sure your Harmony has a static IP address (from the UniFi software - look for clients, find the Harmony Hub, select it, -> Config (right hand side) -> Network -> check "Use fixed IP address" (you can use the address it's currently assigned).

2. Firewall it:
UniFi UI -> Settings -> Routing & Firewall -> Firewall -> WAN OUT -> Create New Rule -> Action/Drop, Source/Create IPv4 Address Group -> Enter the IP address above -> Save
Optional, select the "Log" option to see what it's doing.

I don't recall if the log is exposed via the GUI, you might need to ssh into the USG to see the log in /var/log/messages but you'll see stuff like:

Dec 27 13:43:10 Gateway kernel: [WAN_OUT-2000-D]IN=eth0 OUT=eth2 MAC=80:2a:a8:8e:ea:41:00:04:20:f3:xxxxxxxxx0 SRC=x.x.x.x DST=54.241.191.233 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=36725 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=60174 DPT=80 WINDOW=5840 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x64800000

When it's being blocked.

One caveat: it seems like when the net is blocked, the iOS app is a bit slower to respond. The hardware remote and the Indigo commands are still all instantaneous. The iOS app lag isn't real serious, but it is noticeable for me... but it does work.

Will this prevent Alexa control from working?

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 am
colovin offline

What causes the "Enable Indigo communication" box to become un-checked on it's own? I've updated the firmware which restored indigo control. Worked great for a couple of nights, last night it didn't work. Cause was the above boxes became un-checked. With the old firmware when you re-checked them you got the IP address BS but I'm able to re-check and as of this morning they are still checked. First time this happened was about a week before the s**t hit the fan. Prior to that I've never seen this. Have I just been lucky or is there still something going on?

Indigo 7.1.1, OS 10.14.6, MacMini .3.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram

Posted on
Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am
roquej offline

Just tested it and blocking the Harmony from "calling home" will break Alexa.

JP

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:37 am
siclark offline

Looks like the delays I was seeing were due to indigo being slow. The plugin is working immediately for me now.