Experience with Kwikset 916

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:45 pm
dduff617 offline

Experience with Kwikset 916

I just installed a Kwikset 916 deadbolt. Basic commands (lock/unlock) to the lock seem to work.

I created a new ZWave Lock/Code Manager plugin Door Lock device.

I was trying to send some commands to set user PINs and I was seeing these messages in logs (XX's substituted for PIN values).

Code: Select all

Z-Wave Lock/Code Manager        Setting PIN for user 5 to: XXXXXX
   Z-Wave                          sent "GAR-W Door Deadbolt" raw command [63 01 05 01  XX XX XX XX XX XX]
   Z-Wave                          received "GAR-W Door Deadbolt" status update user code add failed (duplicate)
   Z-Wave Lock/Code Manager        Unknown lock status received: 34 [Node: 111]

Can anyone tell me what "status update user code add failed (duplicate)" means? I assumed that I can set a user code and then set it again. Is it necessary to somehow clear an existing code before resetting it to a new value or something?

Also the "unknown status code" message is a bit disconcerting... Anyone seen that before?

I've used Indigo and ZWave Lock Manager on other Kwikset locks (not model 916) previously and had generally good results.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:05 pm
dduff617 offline

Re: Experience with Kwikset 916

Ok - i partially answered my own question.

I confirmed that if I first clear the PIN, then set the PIN, I don't get the "code add failed (duplicate)" error.

I thought with my the other KwikSet locks, I was able to write a script to do a bunch of set-pin commands and I could execute it repeatedly without problems - that is, without ever using the clear-pin command. Apparently the 916 works differently.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:11 pm
dduff617 offline

automating PIN-setting for multiple users, multiple locks -

I have five PINs for different family members and service providers. i have seven locks and plans for that number to increase. So for the overall setup, that's 35 set-pin commands I need to do. I occasionally need to add/delete/modify PINs so this is more than a one-time setup.

I can write an action group with a bunch of set-pin commands - this is a bit tedious. Neither the lock name nor the user-no show in the text for a set-pin action that appears when you do "Show All" in the action group, making it a bit hard to maintain (feature request).

I'm curious - does anyone have a python example showing how to loop over an array of PINs and a list of lock devices to automate the PIN setting/changing process? Seems much easier to write a script to iterate rather than using an action group, however offhand I'm not sure how to invoke the plugin commands in code.

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:40 am
howartp offline

Hi

None of my actions are currently exposed to python for other users.

I’ll have to look into this.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:41 am
dduff617 offline

I'm seeing error in the log when door is unlocked/locked manually as follows:
Code: Select all
   Z-Wave                          received "GAR-DRIVE-DOOR Deadbolt" status update unlocked (manually)
   Z-Wave Lock/Code Manager        Status: Door unlocked manually [Node: 112]
   Z-Wave Lock/Code Manager Error  Error in plugin execution ReceivedBroadcast:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 435, in zwaveCommandReceived
  File "plugin.py", line 850, in updateState
KeyError: (112,)

This is repeatable.

Posted on
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:36 pm
howartp offline

Have you created, or have you subsequently deleted, the dummy lock device?

Peter

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:16 pm
dduff617 offline

I checked and I do have a "dummy" (Z-Wave Lock/Code Manager Plugin > Door Lock) device that points to the lock in question.

Today, I tried to reproduce the problem by manually locking/unlocking manually and by locking/unlocking using the keypad, but the error did not recur.

So for now, I'll retract my report. I'll notify if I see it again.

Page 1 of 1