Kwikset inconsistent battery info

Posted on
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:53 pm
dduff617 offline

Kwikset inconsistent battery info

I'm getting messages in my logs from Z-wave Lock Manger that look like this:
Code: Select all
   Z-Wave Lock Manager             Status: Critically Low Battery [Node: 28]
Z-wave node 28 in my Indigo config is a Kwikset Lock. Question: why does Z-wave Lock Manager not just print the device name in the error message?

When I look at the device in Indigo, it reports battery level of 50%. I can see (using Grafana plugin) that the battery level has cone down gradually over the .last ~12 months, mostly steadily, mostly in 10% increments, so far never going below 50%, so it doesn't look as though there are any crazy fluctuations there.

Is 50% level "critically low"? Or is the "critically low" message from Z-wave Lock Manager coming from some other z-wave signal other than just the device battery level? Anyone else seen this kind of issue?

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:33 am
howartp offline

Re: Kwikset inconsistent battery info

dduff617 wrote:
   Z-Wave Lock Manager             Status: Critically Low Battery [Node: 28]
Is 50% level "critically low"? Or is the "critically low" message from Z-wave Lock Manager coming from some other z-wave signal other than just the device battery level?

Critically Low is a signal directly from your lock.

elif (bytes[9] == "A7"):
            indigo.server.log(u"Status: Low Battery [Node: %s]" % (int(bytes[5],16)))
         elif (bytes[9] == "A8"):
            indigo.server.log(u"Status: Critically Low Battery [Node: %s]" % (int(bytes[5],16)))
         elif (bytes[9] == "A9"):
            indigo.server.log(u"Status: Battery too low to operate [Node: %s]" % (int(bytes[5],16)))
         elif (bytes[9] == "82"):

In simple form, bytes[9] contains whatever the lock sends - it might be "door locked", "door opened", "user added" etc - or in this case there's three levels for Low, Critically Low and Dead.

The actual battery level is a different value which the lock reports - if it's saying 50% and calling it critical, that's the lock manufacturers decision.

Peter

Posted on
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:51 am
dduff617 offline

Re: Kwikset inconsistent battery info

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll err on the side of caution and trust the lock's reporting instead of the z-wave battery capacity. The lock behavior seems true to the "critically low" value, as I realized it was doing a long beep each time the lock was operated as another way of warning me of low-battery.

Page 1 of 1