Alexa, lock the front door

Posted on
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:23 pm
mediabox offline

So I have my Kwikset 914 sync'd up but how do I set it up correctly w/ Alexa?

Currently it's:

- Alexa turn on the Front door: And the Kwikset locks
- Alexa turn off the Front door: And the Kwikset unlocks

Kind of works but confusing. How do I change that so it's "Alexa lock/unlock the front door?" Also, how do I make it so if you want to UNLOCK it, a pin code is requested? Do any of the officially supported locks handle this better?

Posted on
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 pm
racarter offline

Re: Alexa, lock the front door

Use Alexa routines. Then you can link the phrase “Unlock the front door” to an action to “turn on” the lock.

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:16 am
siclark offline

Look here. By connecting Alexa to indigo via nodered you can create a proper lock device in Alexa to lock and unlock properly and have pin code protection on it. Stops someone sitting through letterbox to l unlock the front door!

Edit. Helps if I put the link in!

Indigo / Node-Red / Alexa
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Posted on
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:41 am
mediabox offline

racarter wrote:
Use Alexa routines. Then you can link the phrase “Unlock the front door” to an action to “turn on” the lock.

Thanks. Was easy and works!

One caveat w/ connecting the smart lock directly to Alexa was one can say "Alexa, turn on the front door" or "Alexa, turn off the from door" and the door lock would lock/unlock. To prevent that, I created a virtual device, and an action group to lock the door. Then I mapped Alexa to learn the virtual device that only locks the door. Unlocking the door via Alexa isn't important to me (yet), though when it is I'll keep the Node-Red in my back pocket. Seems powerful. Thanks @siclark

Posted on
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:12 am
eme jota ce offline

Also created an Indigo Virtual Device called "Locks," but have the On Group and the Off Group execute the same Action, which locks all doors regardless of whether someone says "On" or "Off."

Just not comfortable with anyone who can shout loud enough to be able to unlock the doors - even if outside the house but near an Alexa microphone. We have one near the front door, which regularly executes an Exit Procedure that locks doors and adjusts home settings as we walk out. Pretty certain I could yell loud enough through the door / window to trigger Alexa through a locked door.

...If Alexa's technology included reliable voice recognition of authorized individuals, , it would open a world of possibilities...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.05.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.05.54 PM.png (213.68 KiB) Viewed 3019 times

Posted on
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:15 pm
mediabox offline

Modulated laser works too.

https://youtu.be/ozIKwGt38LQ

Posted on
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 am
brentb offline