Lock Manager and Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock (UK)

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 am
jrcitizen offline

Lock Manager and Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock (UK)

I am looking into purchasing a Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock (http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/prod ... mart-lock/).

I only found one thread on the Indigo boards about this lock, but I found several on the SmartThings forums. I do not current have any Zwave capable locks so I am unable to test myself; I am hoping others may be able to shed some light.

On the SmartThings forums, it appeared that the initial device handler struggled to obtain non-Zwave events from the logs and pass them to the Z-wave controller. In other words, if someone used a keyfob to unlock the door, this would not get reported to the controller, whereas unlocking the lock via Z-wave did record events. This problem was eventually resolved.

I realise that Smartthings device handlers are totally different than Indigo Domo, but I am looking for some experience from those using Lock Manager and this lock. When you use the keyfob, PIN, or card to access, do those events get logged via Lock Manager in the Indigo Event Manager?

Edit: Fixed Yale link, sorry!
Last edited by jrcitizen on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:05 pm
durosity offline

Re: Lock Manager and Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock (UK)

The initial Yale link doesn’t seem to work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:19 pm
CliveS offline

You will find that you will not be able to use the card or key fob with the Yale Z-wave module, they only work with the Yale module.
Confused, yes I was as well when I got my Yale keyless but basically the Yale website is so misleading to make you believe that you can use the swipe card, key fob or z-wave together, you can't.

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:48 pm
durosity offline

CliveS wrote:
You will find that you will not be able to use the card or key fob with the Yale Z-wave module, they only work with the Yale module.
Confused, yes I was as well when I got my Yale keyless but basically the Yale website is so misleading to make you believe that you can use the swipe card, key fob or z-wave together, you can't.

CliveS

What you can do though (assuming you have the z wave module) is link it to indigo, then use a z-wave keyfob (best use one that supports encryption) and make it trigger an action to unlock the door!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:58 pm
CliveS offline

durosity wrote:
What you can do though (assuming you have the z wave module) is link it to indigo, then use a z-wave keyfob (best use one that supports encryption) and make it trigger an action to unlock the door!

Was going to do that but found using 'Home Remote' on our iPhones worked well and was a lot cheaper than a Zipato unit. Also programmed the Fibaro Keyfob with 2 presses and a long press but hardly use it.

CliveS

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm
jrcitizen offline

CliveS wrote:

@Clive - Yale has a data sheet that clearly states that the Z-wave module allows the key tag to be used when the Z-wave module is installed. What the lock does not allow – according to the data sheet – is access via the Control with Yale app with the Z-wave module installed.

Are you speaking from experience?

I don't mean to sound dismissive, but any idea why the folks in the SmartThings forums are able to use the key fob with the z-wave module and get event logging of key fob activity via z-wave? Or did I miss something?

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm
durosity offline

Which model is it you want @jrcitizen? The original link doesn’t work! I seem to recall some models had it built in, some you can’t. My key free model definitely only allows one or the other, not both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:22 am
jrcitizen offline

Sorry for the bad links. Fixed in the original post but here they are again:

Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock

Discussion from SmartThings forum that unlocking via RFID does not log events through Z-wave... (if you scroll up two posts, they are referring to the same Yale UK Keyless Connected Smart Lock)

...which was eventually fixed, where key fob events CAN now be reported via Z-wave

Yale Keyless Connected Smart Lock datasheet – on page 2, a matrix is shown that says the Z-wave module still allows key fobs (tags)

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 am
durosity offline

Yeah i believe that lock DOES support the fobs and Z-Wave at the same time. As the Z-wave module is identical to all the other ones i'd expect it to work fully with indigo.

As for device events everything i've ever used the lock for has either shown up natively in Indigo or is available via @howartp Z-wave lock manager plugin. I can't remember seeing anyone posting about the fob events before here so i don't know how they'll show up.

On a side note though i don't believe this lock is suitable for UK home insurance providers as a primary lock as it doesn't conform to BS 3715 (or something like that.. at work can't look it up!)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 am
CliveS offline

durosity wrote:
Yeah i believe that lock DOES support the fobs and Z-Wave at the same time. As the Z-wave module is identical to all the other ones i'd expect it to work fully with indigo.

As for device events everything i've ever used the lock for has either shown up natively in Indigo or is available via @howartp Z-wave lock manager plugin. I can't remember seeing anyone posting about the fob events before here so i don't know how they'll show up.

On a side note though i don't believe this lock is suitable for UK home insurance providers as a primary lock as it doesn't conform to BS 3715 (or something like that.. at work can't look it up!)

I have the same lock as @durosity and we have 3 modules to choose from, one for RFID, one for Yale app control and one for Z-wave and we can only have one installed, after looking at the spec sheet it looks like the RFID is built into your lock, not a module so I think the Smartthings initial problem was the lock not updating the Z-wave module which now seems to have sorted so as @durosity states @howartp's Z-wave lock manager plugin will be able to inform you of anything reported by the lock.

I must admit I am envious of the built in RFID tag but I would check the insurance as they grab at any excuse not to pay up

CliveS

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 am
durosity offline

heh.. just realised you live only 15 miles from me, CliveS. *waves*

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 am
CliveS offline

Thought you had moved to a waterlogged basement in Texas ;)

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 am
durosity offline

Yeah i decided to head home to where there's slightly less rain. Plus Jay constantly pushing letters under the door saying 'GET OUT' written in his own blood was starting to get tiresome. Also he liked to watch me sleep. That was just creeeeepy.

Perhaps i should move in with Matt.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:45 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
Plus Jay constantly pushing letters under the door saying 'GET OUT' written in his own blood was starting to get tiresome. Also he liked to watch me sleep. That was just creeeeepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0fv_CaGVSg&t=0m19s

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:45 pm
durosity offline

See! He’s even been filming it! Even randomly beeps at me.

There’s something that ain’t right about that boy!

Computer says no.