Does the Airfoil plugin have a playpause action ?

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:24 am
PeteVis offline

Does the Airfoil plugin have a playpause action ?

Sorry for the noob question, I am just getting started with setting up Airfoil in Indigo.

I am looking through the wiki, and it references the python scripts in which there is example code to playpause iTunes.

But what happens when you switch to a different source, i.e. Spotify. Do I need to set up another script to communicate with Spotify ?

Can't playPause be routed through Airfoil ?
When I use Airfoil speakers on my remote mac, I can play pause skip tracks through Airfoil without going to the source application (iTunes, Spotify...)

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Does the Airfoil plugin have a playpause action ?

Airfoil just gives you remote speakers, think of them as this and I think it will change your perspective about what role they play in your HA setup. So, from that angle, if Airfoil is just another output for your music and sounds then it's independent of what the source is (iTunes vs Spotify) and requires that you play/pause in the source application.

I hope that helps :).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:03 am
PeteVis offline

I was afraid that might be the case.

The confusion comes from using Airfoil satellite on my macs and idevices.... they can send play pause commands to airfoil, and airfoil in turn takes care of rerouting those play/pause commands to the respective sources. They have applescripts for almost any audio app inside the airfoil.app package.
It just seems so messy to have to implement these commands for each source in Indigo, while Airfoil obviously has this capability built in.

I guess I'll shoot a feature request to rogue amoeba.

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

If you can do it with AppleScript then you can do it with Indigo

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

PeteVis wrote:
Can't playPause be routed through Airfoil ?

Not yet... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:11 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
Not yet...

Don't mind Jay, he loves teasing about things and giving us the idea that it's probably coming very soon (like maybe in 7) but he'll deny it of course :D.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1