Airfoil update broke the plugin?

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm
palantir offline

Re: Airfoil update broke the plugin?

Excellent news! I can confirm that "Indi" is talking to me again using Airfoil 4.8.13d & Airfoil 1.1.8.. Thanks for the update Jay!

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:43 am
JGTracy offline

The only problem I have been having (and still have) is the continuously posting the message:
-- Airfoil Error Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly. --
in the Indigo log. The posting occurs about every 2 - 3 seconds.

I installed Airfoil 4.8.13d yesterday and I now am having problems with speakers. The error message mentioned above still exists. :(

The specific problem I am now having with speakers: I turn off Airfoil at night by setting the volume of all speakers to 0%, and turn on in the morning by setting the speakers to 50%. I do this through the Airfoil plugin for Indigo. This is ignored by 4.8.13d. Since it didn't fix the error-logging-problerm anyway, I'll go back to 4.8.12. I had tried to use the plugin method of disconnect-all-speakers several months ago but this caused a lot of memory use. -- The inactive memory used up all available memory in a couple of days and then caused problems with computer slowdown as memory was compressed and swapped.

The "Airfoil Error" message ought to be relatively to fix. There can't be very many things that cause that message to be generated in the first place.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 am
TheTechnoPilot offline

Hi Guys,

Just updated Airfoil to v1.1.8 to try to fix an error I am getting, but still getting it. I am using Airfoil v4.8.12. Below is the debug error I am getting in the log.

Code: Select all
split("@")[0]
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/appscript/reference.py", line 498, in __call__
    raise CommandError(self, (args, kargs), e, self.AS_appdata)
CommandError: Command failed:
      OSERROR: -1728
      OFFENDING OBJECT: app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'745E1C30A0B9@VSX-1023')
      COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').get(app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'745E1C30A0B9@VSX-1023').id)

Hope this helps with a fix, any suggestions in the interim other just then disabling?

Cheers,
Sean

Android's Tasker, to a person who does home automation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 am
philc offline

I updated both the plugin and the airfoil app, and everything is working fine. You have to do both to make it work. If you did update both, please make that clear.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 am
Shutter offline

philc wrote:
I updated both the plugin and the airfoil app, and everything is working fine. You have to do both to make it work. If you did update both, please make that clear.

Good point. And if both were updated, depending on the install order, the plugin may need restarting. I had to and then the error went away. Now it all works.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm
JGTracy offline

How do I get Airfoil v1.1.8? Software Update for Indigo says I have latest software <6.0.20> but the dropdown menu for plugins has :About Airfoil 1.1.7.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

See Jay's post here:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=13105#p89999

He has a link to an internal update of the plugin.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 pm
JGTracy offline

Thanks, I missed that earlier. :oops:
Airfoil 4.8.13d and Indigo 6.0.20 with Airfoil <plugin> 1.1.8
No more Airfoil error messages in the log.
I can get a speaker list now.
But: tha Airfoil feature for changing speaker volume doesn't work.

Other things I use that do work:
The Airfoil feature that changes Audio Source
The Airfoil feature that runs files generated by Automator some of which contain some Apple Script in the workflow.

I've got a work-around for the inability to control speaker volume. I don't need a quick fix. Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Darn - that's on me, I didn't test setting volume (since I don't do it). I'll work on a fix for that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

JGTracy wrote:
But: tha Airfoil feature for changing speaker volume doesn't work.

Fixed in v1.1.9 (which will be rolled into Indigo v6.0.21 when we release it). Download it here in the meantime.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:52 pm
TheTechnoPilot offline

Hi Jay,

Sadly, while I am updated both to Airfoil v4.8.12 and Airfoil Plugin v1.1.9, I am getting constantly kicked the following error whenever I have the plugin enabled. This has happened through multiple restarts and changing of my overall AirPlay speaker configuration (to eliminate that as a potential issue). Please let me know if you have any recommendations for a fix as this is a very limiting error now for my home automation system.

Code: Select all
 Airfoil Debug                   runConcurrentThread: update()
  Airfoil Debug                   update method called
  Airfoil Debug                   update: Airfoil is running
  Airfoil Debug                   update: application sources: [app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').application_sources.ID(0), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').application_sources.ID(1), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').application_sources.ID(2), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').application_sources.ID(3)]
  Airfoil Debug                   update: device sources: [app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').device_sources.ID(4), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').device_sources.ID(5), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').device_sources.ID(6), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').device_sources.ID(7)]
  Airfoil Debug                   update: system sources: [app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').system_sources.ID(8)]
  Airfoil Debug                   update: speakers: [app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'com.rogueamoeba.airfoil.LocalSpeaker'), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'745E1C30A0B9@VSX-1023'), app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'0011240663D1@Bedroom Speakers')]
  Airfoil Debug                   update: Computer (com.rogueamoeba.airfoil.LocalSpeaker) - Connected: 1
  Airfoil Debug                   update: adding to newKnownSpeakers for id: ID-com.rogueamoeba.airfoil.LocalSpeaker value: (u'Computer', u'connected')
  Airfoil Error                   Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly.
  Airfoil Debug                   Update failed with exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 484, in update
    speakerId = self.airfoil.get(speaker.id).split("@")[0]
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/appscript/reference.py", line 498, in __call__
    raise CommandError(self, (args, kargs), e, self.AS_appdata)
CommandError: Command failed:
      OSERROR: -1728
      OFFENDING OBJECT: app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'745E1C30A0B9@VSX-1023')
      COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').get(app(u'/Applications/Server/Airfoil/Airfoil.app').speakers.ID(u'745E1C30A0B9@VSX-1023').id)

Android's Tasker, to a person who does home automation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:15 pm
philc offline

You need to update to the Airfoil beta: Airfoil 4.8.13d

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:18 am
TheTechnoPilot offline

That is truthfully so not helpful for those of us who are not beta testers for Rogue Amoeba!

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Anyone can get that release - I linked to it in a different post. If you're unwilling to run a beta, then unfortunately you'll have to wait until Rogue Amoeba releases 4.8.13 final - the bugs are on their side and we couldn't work around all of the issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:51 pm
TheTechnoPilot offline

jay (support) wrote:
Anyone can get that release - I linked to it in a different post. If you're unwilling to run a beta, then unfortunately you'll have to wait until Rogue Amoeba releases 4.8.13 final - the bugs are on their side and we couldn't work around all of the issues.

Oh sorry Jay, I missed that post. :oops: I think my post from last night came off as a little snippy and I apologize to you and Philc for that, it truthfully was not the way I should have wrote it. Lesson learned don't sleep troubleshoot and post. :roll: