Will you PLEASE shut up?

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:16 am
howartp offline

Will you PLEASE shut up?

Hello,

No, I'm not asking YOU to shut up, I'm asking Alison, the speech voice inside my Mac.

Last night, I had an early night, so I was in bed before my family. Mum was, as usual, claiming to watch TV but in reality dozing off, so Indigo was quite rightly prompting her (via AirFoil) that the lights would go off if she didn't move. She didn't, so the lights then went off and Indigo wished her a good night. (Which drives her mad, but it's fun!) She then roused, switched the lights back on, watched a few more minutes, then repeat the process.

Now when I went to bed, I made sure I disconnected AirFoil from the 'Computer' output, so that any such messages wouldn't play through my Mac in my bedroom. I don't have Airfoil Speakers installed on the Mac. However, the messages still played in my bedroom.

I therefore turned the system volume on the Mac taskbar (or whatever it's called) down to zero. However, the messages still played in my bedroom.

I therefore switched the AirFoil Input source to Safari (it was previously 'System Audio'). However, the messages still played in my bedroom.

I therefore Connected then Disconnected the 'Computer' output in AirFoil to make sure it wasn't stuck on for some reason despite saying not. The messages still played.

I turned down all AirFoil volume controls and linked AirFoil to System Volume (I normally don't have this option set) and made sure System Volume was at zero. The messages still played.

In the end, I plugged a 3.5mm audio cable I had lying around into the headphone socket to make Indigo/Airfoil think there were headphones connected so the internal speaker would SHUT UP so I could go to sleep.

Am I missing something? Should each and every one of those steps, on their own, have stopped my Mac from playing audio at me? I'm mainly a Windows person, so I may have missed or misunderstood how audio works on Mac in some of those scenarios, but surely at least one of them should have stopped it?

Peter

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Will you PLEASE shut up?

I've never seen this behavior here at my place. Perhaps a better question for Rogue Amoeba? What version are you using?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:06 am
howartp offline

Re: Will you PLEASE shut up?

I only installed it about 2-3 weeks ago so AFAIK the latest version. If you are in general agreement that I wasn't doing something wrong generally, I'll get in touch with them.

Page 1 of 1