Airfoil and Indigo 6.0.5

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Airfoil and Indigo 6.0.5

It's embedded with the plugin. Try rerunning the Indigo installer if you haven't. I think everyone else that's seen the problem has managed to get it to work by reinstalling but it doesn't seem to be predictable in any way. And I have yet to reproduce it on my systems.

I'm quickly running out of ideas. A post on the appscript website doesn't give me a lot of hope that its going to get any better. And I'm not sure there's any realistic way of getting it working without the library. Bottom line is that short of the Airfoil guys building a API into the app, I'm not sure that there's any way to permanently fix the problem. I'll have to spend some time thinking about it some more.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:39 pm
Dewster35 offline

I just installed 6.0.7 and again tried installing airfoil with the same result... I'll be honest with you, this really sucks. I have a bunch of rooms with dedicated custom etched keypad buttons that are now useless. I realize in order to move forward kruft has to be removed at times.

Just so I'm clear, did this issue arise with indigo 6.05 so that I could roll back and figure out a game plan or is it based on an airfoil change?

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've been assuming that you'd upgraded to Mavericks - I think everyone else reporting it had upgraded and so I'm assuming that it's an OS issue. Is that not true?

We didn't change anything fundamental in the Airfoil plugin (we added some extra error checking which introduced the character logging bug but that had nothing to do with how it works). It is basically the same as it was with Indigo 5. And, as I've stated, I can't reproduce the problem and others seem to have fixed it by reinstalling.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:37 pm
Dewster35 offline

Nope. Still running 10.8.5 because I was worried about something breaking.

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Well, that adds a new twist. The only other thing in that case was the 4.8.2 update to Airfoil (which happened after 6.0.5 was released). And, in fact, the first report of this specific problem occurred on the day 4.8.2 was released which was 15 days after 6.0.5. His problem was solved by reinstalling Airfoil.

The unfortunate thing is that the error is similar to a Mavericks AppleScript error (linked to from that thread). However, if you aren't running Mavericks then it's likely something more to do with Airfoil.

Did you actually delete Airfoil when you reinstalled? If not, try that. I don't know what kind of quarantine procedures Mac OS X does when a new app is installed/launched, but it may not reset them if there is already a copy of the app on the disk somewhere (even if it's in the trash). So maybe making sure there are no copies of the app on any volume on your Mac then reinstalling will make a difference (might not hurt to reboot after completely ridding your disk of all Airfoil apps). Grasping at straws here but I'm not sure what else to try...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:28 pm
Dewster35 offline

Well, I rolled back to Airfoil to 4.8.1 via Time Machine and it is still giving me the same error. When I did the reinstall on the newest version, I deleted the app, emptied the trash and then reinstalled. The only thing I didn't try there was restarting the system, although I just did that after rolling back o 4.8.1.

Is it possible to get a link to Indigo 6.0.3 or 6.0.4 just to cover all my bases?

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:31 pm
Dewster35 offline

Also... sorry to be a pain being the only user with this problem. Heck, maybe upgrading to Mavericks would actually fix my problem. At this point I think I'm willing to try anything. Still will probably wait until 10.9.1.

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Posted on
Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:00 pm
Dewster35 offline

Ok… what is the process for removing the server version of Indigo? I deleted the app, emptied the trash, restarted, installed 6.0.3, but that only took care of the client.

In addition, I tried to toggle from a control page and received this message. Looking at it, I guess this is expected but I don't recall seeing it before now.

Code: Select all
Dec 12, 2013 9:58:15 PM
  Airfoil Debug                       toggleSpeaker id: 7073CBDAEE85
  Airfoil Error                   Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 185, in toggleSpeaker
<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>: key ID-7073CBDAEE85 not found in dict

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

For this I would first top the Indigo Server, then delete these 3 files, and finally run the older installer:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoServer.app
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Plugins/Airfoil.indigoPlugin

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:44 am
Dewster35 offline

Just delete or move off the drive? Will I lose any personal data by doing this?

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 am
Dewster35 offline

6.0.3 and older version of Airfoil still do not fix this issue. So either the applescript dictionary issue got hosed from an airfoil update or from a mac update…

So what are my options here? Can I write a script outside of indigo that could toggle a specific speaker?

Looking at the below response from my audio status updater script, it appears I can still READ from the airfoil speaker connection state, which would still be able to drive the state of my keypad buttons.

Code: Select all
IndigoStatus Updater            AirFoilSpeakerServerConnected Changed from "false" to "true"

If I have to write a specific toggling switch for each speaker, that would be a sufficient work around for now I suppose.

Anyone who has a more elegant solution that they would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Sonos as a whole house solution is looking better and better...

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll package up the AppleScripts that I used pre-plugin and put them in the File Library. Do you use the plugin to change sources or to just enable/disable speakers?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58 am
Dewster35 offline

I change sources and toggle speakers. Thank you for taking the time to do this for me.

Dumb question… why would it work with just plain applescript running and not packaged up into a plugin?

Posted on
Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Excellent question, and one I don't have an answer for - particularly since you're the only one that can't seem to get it running. Something about your system/environment has gotten into a bad state. We've seen things like this happen a couple of times in the past with various OS components (I'm pretty sure this time it's tied to the AppleScript/apple event manager and the OS security features). They almost always resolve themselves with an OS reinstall. You might try doing a disk repair (which will require booting from the recovery volume) to see if that helps.

The current scripts don't really deal with sources other than get the current source name so I'll have to add that (and I won't be able to get to that until at least Monday).

Jay (Indigo Support)