[SOLVED]Airfoil not able to connect to any speakers

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 pm
emmgee offline

[SOLVED]Airfoil not able to connect to any speakers

I've got Indigo and Airfoil up to date and running the latest versions. When I use the Airfoil plugin to connect to a speaker I get an error that says: Speaker Kitchen is not available. If I go directly to Airfoil and select a speaker it has no problem connecting to it.

I've reloaded the plugin in Indigo and still no change. I've tried switching the source audio in Airfoil. Is there something else I should check?

Thanks for any tips.

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:42 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Airfoil not able to connect to any speakers

Where do you see that error? What are the Airfoil and Mac OS versions?

Select the "Plugins->Airfoil->Reset Speaker List" menu item and then select "Plugins->Airfoil->Show Speaker List in Event Log" and make sure the speaker you're trying to connect to (Kitchen) shows up in the list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:39 pm
emmgee offline

hey Jay,

OSX 10.8.5
Airfoil 4.8.1

I reset the the list and then tried listing them and it returned: No speakers available

Then I tried going into an action that uses an airfoil action and I got this:

Airfoil Error Error in plugin execution GetUiDynamicList:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 94, in uiSpeakerList
<type 'exceptions.KeyError'>: key speakers not found in dict

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting. Airfoil is running on the same Mac as your Indigo server, right? For some reason when it asks Airfoil for the list of available speakers Airfoil isn't returning anything.

Select "Plugins->Airfoil->Toggle Debugging", then select "Plugins->Airfoil->Reload". Copy/paste all debug logging from your Event Log window into a follow-up post.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 pm
emmgee offline

Airfoil Debug creating speaker vars
Reloading plugin "Airfoil 1.1.0"
Stopping plugin "Airfoil 1.1.0" (pid 517)
Stopped plugin "Airfoil 1.1.0"
Starting plugin "Airfoil 1.1.0" (pid 663)
Started plugin "Airfoil 1.1.0"

Then when I trigger Airfoil via an action;

2013-10-10 9:38:23 PM
Action Group Front Door Alert
ALARM •••••••••••••••••••• FRONT DOOR ALARM
Airfoil Debug airfoil = app(u'/Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Airfoil/Airfoil 4.8.1/Airfoil/Airfoil.app')
Airfoil Debug connectToSpeaker id: 7CD1C3C6C8B2
Airfoil Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

File "plugin.py", line 143, in connectToSpeaker

Schedule _delayed_action_8
Airfoil Debug disconnectFromSpeaker id: 7CD1C3C6C8B2
Airfoil Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

File "plugin.py", line 162, in disconnectFromSpeaker

Posted on
Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Very odd indeed. Is Airfoil running under the same user account that the Indigo Server is running? If so (and that account has admin privileges), then disable the Airfoil plugin and delete this file:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/Preferences/Plugins/com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.Airfoil.indiPref

Then start the plugin back up. Select "Plugins->Airfoil->Show Speaker List in Event Log". This should show a list of speakers in the event log that matches what's showing in Airfoil.

If it doesn't then I believe there's something wrong with your Airfoil install. Open the AppleScript Editor, paste in the following script, then run it:

Code: Select all
tell application "Airfoil"
   speakers
end tell

What happens? In the result section at the bottom (select Event Log if it's not), copy/paste the results if it works. If you get any other errors let me know what those are.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 am
emmgee offline

I turned off the plug-in, deleted the plug-in prefs and then restarted the plugin. when I prompted the list it said that there are "no speakers available". The Airfoil app shows 5 possible speakers.

Running the Applescript in the Applescript Editor returned this:

{speaker id "com.rogueamoeba.airfoil.LocalSpeaker" of application "Airfoil", speaker id "283737271D16" of application "Airfoil", speaker id "7CD1C3C6C8B2" of application "Airfoil", speaker id "5855CA029D0B" of application "Airfoil", speaker id "0023DFDF59FC" of application "Airfoil"}

When I went back into my action to edit the Airfoil selection I got this error:

Airfoil Error Error in plugin execution GetUiDynamicList:

File "plugin.py", line 94, in uiSpeakerList

Airfoil Error Error in plugin execution UiValidate:

File "plugin.py", line 540, in validateActionConfigUi

Posted on
Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ignore those action errors for the moment. The problem is that Airfoil isn't returning the speaker list to the plugin. The plugin uses exactly the same AppleScript that you ran in the script editor which did return the list. I have no idea what's going on. Some questions:

1) Are you running the AppleScript above, the Indigo Server (NOT necessarily the client, but the server), and Airfoil on the same Mac?
2) Is is possible you have 2 copies of Airfoil running on that computer?
3) Is Airfoil running under the same user account that the Indigo Server is running? (you never answered this one)

Those are the only reasons why I can think that you'd be seeing this issue. If the AppleScript returns speakers in the script editor then it should also be returning that exact same list to the plugin but clearly it's not.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm
emmgee offline

1. Yes
2. Not that I can tell. I see only one icon in the dock and I can't find a duplicate application anywhere. If there is some other way to find out other than the obvious please let me know.
3. Yes, there is only one user account on that computer.

I'm at a loss here too since I can't pinpoint anything I did lately other than update Airfoil and Indigo to the latest version.

Posted on
Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hmmm. Ok - let's take this one offline. I'll send you an email for further debugging.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 pm
philc offline

All of a sudden, about three days ago, I started having this exact problem, but it only occurs with one of my speakers, not all of them. Indigo says the speaker isn't available, but Airfoil connects no problem.

If I go to the Airfoil plugin and have it list speakers, it will list the problem speaker twice (Pioneer Rcvr) with two different IDs. I reset the speaker list and it goes down to just one of them again. Then I have to reset all the action groups to the new ID. Give it a day, then I have the same problem.

So it seems like at some point, the ID of the speaker changes which Indigo picks up, but it holds onto the old ID. I dunno. Here's a copy of the log with a current speaker list, then reset speakers, then current speaker list again.

Nov 21, 2013, 4:41:49 PM
Airfoil Current Speaker List:
Speaker: Kitchen ID: 00254B06A506
Speaker: Master Bedroom ID: 20C9D0A00333
Speaker: Pioneer Rcvr ID: 4C504241434B
Speaker: Pioneer Rcvr ID: 745E1C2F184A
Speaker: iMac2011 ID: C82A1425092D
Speaker: DiningRoom ID: F0D1A907B126
Speaker: Computer ID: com.rogueamoeba.airfoil.LocalSpeaker

Airfoil Current Speaker List:
Speaker: Master Bedroom ID: 20C9D0A00333
Speaker: Pioneer Rcvr ID: 745E1C2F184A
Speaker: iMac2011 ID: C82A1425092D
Speaker: DiningRoom ID: F0D1A907B126
Speaker: Computer ID: com.rogueamoeba.airfoil.LocalSpeaker

I'm running the latest beta of Airfoil (4.8.2b2).

Been having lots of gremlins lately - seems like since I upgraded to Mavericks...
Phil

EDIT: Not sure if this could be it, but I just remembered that I've lost power to the Pioneer Receiver twice in the last week. Once during the windstorm (same night as the big storms in the Midwest), and again last night when I exchanged UPSes for the home theater setup. Would the Pioneer, if it lost power completely, be assigned a new ID number by Airfoil or Indigo?

Posted on
Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Having the device get new IDs every time it falls off the network is totally going to hose things up - this is the first Airplay device that's exhibiting that behavior. I'm not really sure what we can do about it. I'd recommend talking to Rogue Amoeba - maybe it's a bug in the beta version you're using. The device IDs that we use we get from Airfoil so they would have to address the issue I think...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm
philc offline

Feedback sent - just hoping they don't come back and say "sounds like you need to talk to Perceptive Automation"... :lol:

The beta was issued to correct Mavericks issues - so maybe this was something they changed.

Phil

Posted on
Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

As I said - we get those IDs from Airfoil (we don't make them up) so if it's getting a different ID from the same speaker then that's not our issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 am
philc offline

Jay,
I figured this was something coming from Airfoil, and you guys are great about helping folks no matter what problem they have.
It's just that it would be my luck for Rogue Amoeba to say, "We didn't change anything in that part of the program, so it isn't Airfoil." I seem to have all the unexplainable problems. My house is probably built on an ancient burial ground or something.
Will let you know what RA says.
Thanks,
Phil