Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm
Barnman offline

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

So I just received my gen 1 echo plus. But unfortunately, it will not discover any of my devices. I thought I’d get it working for sure with this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:06 pm
MR_ROBOT_ offline

Barnman wrote:
So I just received my gen 1 echo plus. But unfortunately, it will not discover any of my devices. I thought I’d get it working for sure with this one!

Doh! I’m awaiting delivery of a 1st Gen Echo and was hoping it would get me going again until native support and this comment now has me doubting it will work.

Will keep ppl posted.

MR ROBOT

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:09 pm
Barnman offline

MR_ROBOT_ wrote:
Barnman wrote:

Doh! I’m awaiting delivery of a 1st Gen Echo and was hoping it would get me going again until native support and this comment now has me doubting it will work.

Will keep ppl posted.

MR ROBOT

I’m not fully giving up yet. I just disabled the plugin, I’m going to wait maybe 30min, and try again.

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Barnman wrote:

What version is the firmware that it's using? I suppose it's possible that the Echo Plus has slightly different firmware than the Echo - my gen 1 Echo (not Plus) has the same firmware as my gen 1 dots (241571120).

MR_ROBOT_ wrote:
I’m awaiting delivery of a 1st Gen Echo and was hoping it would get me going again until native support and this comment now has me doubting it will work.

Is it an Echo or an Echo Plus? I have an Echo, and while I can't guarantee it, I believe that's the one that I originally added my devices to (before I got the other gen 1 dots). But in any event they all now have the same firmware.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm
autolog offline

Barnman wrote:
MR_ROBOT_ wrote:
Barnman wrote:

Will keep ppl posted.

MR ROBOT

I’m not fully giving up yet. I just disabled the plugin, I’m going to wait maybe 30min, and try again.

I think you need to force it to discover via the old device (Gen 1). To do this, Forget all devices via the web interface at Alexa.amazon.com (or country equivalent). Make sure that no devices are then showing in the web interface and also none showing in the iOS App.
Then unplug any other Echos / Dots so that you have just the single Gen 1 Echo / Dot device showing as online in the Alexa App. You may need to wait a while for them to show as offline.
Reload the plugin.
Then ask your Gen 1 Echo / Dot to discover devices.

That is how I got my system back. :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm
MR_ROBOT_ offline

jay (support) wrote:
Barnman wrote:

What version is the firmware that it's using? I suppose it's possible that the Echo Plus has slightly different firmware than the Echo - my gen 1 Echo (not Plus) has the same firmware as my gen 1 dots (241571120).

MR_ROBOT_ wrote:
I’m awaiting delivery of a 1st Gen Echo and was hoping it would get me going again until native support and this comment now has me doubting it will work.

Is it an Echo or an Echo Plus? I have an Echo, and while I can't guarantee it, I believe that's the one that I originally added my devices to (before I got the other gen 1 dots). But in any event they all now have the same firmware.

It’s an Echo so have fingers crossed it can discover my devices. No idea what FW it’s running though. No doubt it will update to latest when it’s online anyways.

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:46 pm
neilk offline

So all was working well for me with 5 Gen 2 dots, an Echo Spot, Show 5, a Sonos Beam and one Gen 3 dot unit yesterday when all control stopped. No logging during discovery or errors. I did have a retired Gen 1 Echo, so I plugged that back in and did a discovery from the Alexa app and everything started working again. The Gen 1 Echo is running 635556820 but it has been sitting in a box for about a year, so maybe it will update and break itself. All requests now being handled by the Gen 1 Echo.

Gen 2 dots are on 644580520

I did also get this in the log just after I reconnected the Echo

Code: Select all
  Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          getHueDeviceJSON exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/Plugins/Alexa-Hue Bridge.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/hue_listener.py", line 331, in getHueDeviceJSON
    self.alexaDeviceNameKey = PLUGIN.globals['alexaHueBridge'][p1_ahbDevId]['hashKeys'][p3_alexaDeviceHashedKey]
KeyError: 'd34a569ab7aaa54dacd715ae64953455d86b768846cd0085ef4e9e7471489b7b'

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'
   Alexa-Hue Bridge Error          StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'Emulated Alexa Bridge 1'. Line '185' has error='must be string or buffer, not None'

Which I get if I try and control the lights from within the Alexa app, all works fine with voice

I hope this stays working (or Amazon sort a fix) but it all feels fragile. Roll on 7.4, I am sure Catalina support is over rated, lets just get the native support done :wink:
Last edited by neilk on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:54 pm
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
Barnman wrote:

Well I’m thinking they are still updating the echo plus, the software is 645583520. Back to the drawing board on finding a real gen one dot.

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

neilk wrote:
Roll on 7.4, I am sure Catalina support is over rated

Well, considering that 7.3 and prior don't work on Catalina at all, Indigo support for it is pretty much critical...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Barnman wrote:
Well I’m thinking they are still updating the echo plus, the software is 645583520. Back to the drawing board on finding a real gen one dot.

I was really hoping that would work. Sorry...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:07 pm
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
Barnman wrote:

I was really hoping that would work. Sorry...

Believe me, so was I, lol!!! Back to eBay, but it’s the same guy that sent me the gen 2, on almost every listing!!!

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:16 pm
neilk offline

jay (support) wrote:
neilk wrote:
Roll on 7.4, I am sure Catalina support is over rated

Well, considering that 7.3 and prior don't work on Catalina at all, Indigo support for it is pretty much critical...

Sorry a poor attempt at humour, and you clipped the wink. I get it of course that you must have support for the latest from Apple but being purely selfish I will be waiting a while before updating the OS, and I have to deal with the wife and kids every day :D

To be clear though this is poor from Amazon, not you guys an I appreciate you cannot rush getting this right once 7.4 is done as you will do it all properly.

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:19 pm
neilk offline

And if you made the same mistake as me (especially as the Gen 2 Dot was the first I think we got over here) between the Dot Generations this might help for the hard of thinking like me.

https://moderncastle.com/smart-home/amazon-echo-dot-3rd-generation-review/

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:25 pm
jdxs offline

Alexa no longer controlling devices via Hue Bridge

To add my 2 cents:
Alexa control stopped working September 18 after an internet outage overnight.
I had assumed that was the cause and have been scratching my head before discovering that there seems to be a general problem.
I have a gen 2 device in the array of gen 3 Alexa devices and have no problem discovering all devices after I 'forget all' at Alexa.amazon.com.
Upgraded plugin from 3.0.29 to 3.0.34.
But no Alexa control of any device.
Will hope for a resolution soon - voice control of z-wave devices is such a great tool..!
Jeff

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm
James offline

My Amazon Tap also seems to work... for now.

I do not have any Gen 1 Echo Dots, but I was able to get all my "Hue" devices discovered and working again with my Amazon Tap.

Here are the steps I took to get them working again:
I assume this will also work using a Gen 1 Dot.
    1. I unplugged all my Amazon devices (even my Fire TV/Tablet devices and my Echo Auto - just in case).
    2. Disabled the Alexa-Hue plugin.
    3. Turned on my Amazon Tap.
    4. Waited for my Echo devices to show "Offline" on alexa.amazon.com.
    5. Told my Amazon Tap to discover devices, which found all my devices and allowed me to control them again.
      All devices were discovered as a "Hue Light" as opposed to a "Philips Hue Color Light".

Here are a few things I noticed while trying to diagnose the issue:

Amazon caches devices.
    As others have mentioned, running discovery when the plugin is disabled (even after 24 hours) will somehow still find devices.
    After taking the steps above to get device control working again, I decided to disable the plugin, turn OFF my Amazon Tap, and test each of my other Echo devices individually to see if the cache was tied to a particular device/model/firmware version.
    Turns out ONLY my Gen 2 Echo Dots were retrieving devices from cache (all 3 of mine did this with 2 different firmware versions).
    The cached devices were always discovered as Phillips Hue Color Lights, and I could NOT control any of them.
Deleting a device in the iOS app is different than Forgetting them on alexa.amazon.com.
    When deleting a device on the iOS app, I could re-discover it and then control it fine. However, when forgetting devices on the web, I was not able to control them after re-discovery.
    Too bad the iOS app doesn't have a "Delete All" option.

So now that I have it working again, I will be leaving my Amazon Tap on/charged, all my Echo Dot Gen 2 devices unplugged (I don't use them as often anyway), and my fingers crossed. :P

Here is a list of my Echo/Tap device and firmware versions:
    1x - Amazon Tap - 641570320
    3x - Echo Dot 2 - 1 @ 645583020 and 2 @ 644580520
    2x - Echo Dot 3 - 2785574276
    1x - Echo Show 5 - 2785575812

* I didn't test any of my Fire TV/Tablet devices or my Echo Auto, so hopefully everything will still work when I turn them back on.

Page 10 of 24 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 24