Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:01 am
autolog offline

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

CliveS wrote:
... and I can now "Turn On and Off " the garage door, (anyone got "Open Garage Door" to work?). ...

You won't get "Open Garage Door" to work with the standard setup for the plugin as it is emulating a Philips Hue lamp and it doesn't make sense to open a lamp. :wink:

However, you can set up a Routine in the iOS Alexa App to process an Indigo Action setup in the plugin, such that you can then say open and close. :)

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:03 pm
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
CliveS wrote:
... and I can now "Turn On and Off " the garage door, (anyone got "Open Garage Door" to work?). ...

You won't get "Open Garage Door" to work with the standard setup for the plugin as it is emulating a Philips Hue lamp and it doesn't make sense to open a lamp. :wink:

However, you can set up a Routine in the iOS Alexa App to process an Indigo Action setup in the plugin, such that you can then say open and close. :)

Thanks for the pointer Jon, I used a virtual device and turned it on/off in a routine, works great.

Alexa, Open garage door
Hey Siri, Close garage door
Hey Siri, Open garage door
Alexa, Close garage door
All work 100%

I am in seventh heaven :)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
Fxguy offline

Hoping someone can help, I miss Alexa being able to control indigo.

So I bought a 1st Gen Echo Dot with Firmware Version 641571120 installed. I followed all of Jay's instructions step by step (twice) and still no luck. Alexa will discover my TV but not the Hue Bridge. I'm not even getting any activity in the Log Window either.

Can someone please help me try to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:42 am
autolog offline

As a first step, reload the plugin and post all the startup messages output to the Indigo Log.

Just to double check nothing untoward is happening.

Also, double check that the IP address is correct for your host computer if overridden in the plugin config. :)

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:15 am
Fxguy offline

Thanks.

I'm sure the IP address is correct.

Here is the output of reloading:

Reloading plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.35"
Stopping plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.35" (pid 44970)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge shutdown requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopping...
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopped
Stopped plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.35"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.35" (pid 51064)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '192.168.0.7'
Alexa-Hue Bridge non-Echo network traffic being filtered out
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, non-Echo Network Filter, Method Trace
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.35"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge' has 3 Alexa Devices published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge' started: Host: 192.168.0.7 Port: 8178
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to www.google.com successfully completed.

Tim

Posted on
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:49 pm
autolog offline

Hi Tim,
Looking at your log output, I see you have activated the non-Echo filter in the plugin config.

Have you defined an Echo device for your new Gen 1 device?

The notes against the option says:
Enable the non-Echo Filter to filter out network traffic that doesn't come from an Echo. If you enable this, YOU MUST DEFINE INDIGO ECHO DEVICES to refect the Echos you have in use, otherwise the plugin won't receive any messages from the Echos as it won't know about them. Using the filter will reduce the network load on the plugin and may help to make it run more effectively.

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 pm
Fxguy offline

Thanks! Hadn't realized that was what was going on. Defined the device and all is good now!

Posted on
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:31 pm
autolog offline

Fxguy wrote:
Thanks! Hadn't realized that was what was going on. Defined the device and all is good now!

Excellent - glad you got it working. :D

Posted on
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:16 pm
akimball offline

So I recently got help with Alexa not working... autolog recommended setting the IP address, which I had tried before, but didn't give it much time. This time, I set the option to my mac's IP address and waited for 10 minutes. While waiting I noticed lots of messages like "Responder.run: socket error: [Errno 64] Host is down"... which resolved themselves the next time I restarted indigo and the AlexaHue Plugin... and the AHB's started working immediately.

Will see if this holds. Thanks for the help.

I'm wondering if the number of devices I have using a good share of my DNS connections, causes the plugin to have issues with IP address auto-discovery? I've set my address translation for years to 10.0.1.xxx, where xxx is any value between 2 and 200. I reserve numbers after that for special assignments. I think I'm using about 130 of these values currently depending on how many kids are in the basement. :). Perhaps a robust re-write of the auto-discovery, going through the list a couple of times with more time to query, might help. I can download from GitHub as well as the next Indigovian.

Some days I'm an Indigovian, when feeling lofty and brilliant... other days I'm an Indigopisite, trying to kick Lucy's football.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am
duanel offline

I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but I just resolved my issues by checking "Check to enable Host IP Address input." in the plugin "Configure..." settings and hard-coding my Indigo host's IP address. I noticed in the logs that it was auto-detecting localhost (127.0.0.1). Now it uses my internal IP correctly and all of my devices work via the Hue bridge EVEN USING AN ECHO DOT V2 TO DISCOVER DEVICES.

No promises, but I hope it works for you too. Nothing (not even the Echo v1 workaround) worked before this... so it might be a different issue.

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:28 pm
siclark offline

That's great news. However having seen what a true Alexa skill can do, I'm not going back. I like being able to unlock doors with security of a PIN and ask Alexa to increase the volume not the brightness of a TV.

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:39 pm
autolog offline

duanel wrote:
I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but I just resolved my issues by checking "Check to enable Host IP Address input." in the plugin "Configure..." settings and hard-coding my Indigo host's IP address. I noticed in the logs that it was auto-detecting localhost (127.0.0.1). Now it uses my internal IP correctly and all of my devices work via the Hue bridge EVEN USING AN ECHO DOT V2 TO DISCOVER DEVICES.

No promises, but I hope it works for you too. Nothing (not even the Echo v1 workaround) worked before this... so it might be a different issue.

I think overriding the host IP address is the first item in Jay's checklist: Current state of this plugin (as of October 2019) :wink:

Did you still have a Gen 1 device connected to your network and what is the firmware version of your Echo Dot V2?

Good to hear you are back up and working. :D

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:41 pm
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
That's great news. However having seen what a true Alexa skill can do, I'm not going back. I like being able to unlock doors with security of a PIN and ask Alexa to increase the volume not the brightness of a TV.

Unless I have misunderstood how this alternate Alexa Skill works, doesn't it use a third party server to pass through the commands?

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:02 pm
siclark offline

It does, so no good if you don't want to open up your commands to that, although it is possible to self host it.

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:15 pm
siclark offline

But mainly it's a taste of what a native indigo skill can offer!