Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:35 pm
duanel offline

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

autolog wrote:
duanel wrote:
I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but I just resolved my issues by checking "Check to enable Host IP Address input." in the plugin "Configure..." settings and hard-coding my Indigo host's IP address. I noticed in the logs that it was auto-detecting localhost (127.0.0.1). Now it uses my internal IP correctly and all of my devices work via the Hue bridge EVEN USING AN ECHO DOT V2 TO DISCOVER DEVICES.

No promises, but I hope it works for you too. Nothing (not even the Echo v1 workaround) worked before this... so it might be a different issue.

I think overriding the host IP address is the first item in Jay's checklist: Current state of this plugin (as of October 2019) :wink:

Did you still have a Gen 1 device connected to your network and what is the firmware version of your Echo Dot V2?

Good to hear you are back up and working. :D

I must have missed the IP override in the instructions since I started reading several pages into the thread. This started happening when I mistakenly upgraded to Catalina... worked fine on Mojave. So it was likely related to the Catalina upgrade and not related to my device software(3389730437).

Posted on
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:51 pm
akimball offline

My stealthy way to open garage is “Alexa (or Siri) open the big friendly door!”

-Al

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:31 pm
RAID5 offline

RAID5 wrote:
I got my Echo Dot Gen 1 shipped from the states to Sweden a week ago. Shipping cost was almost as much as the Eco Dot. But we have been missing voice command for almost 2 months here.
Fingers crossed that this workaround last, until native Alexa/Echo support comes to Indigo.

I'm so glad that my setup with Alexa and Indigo has been running for more then two months now.
But I hear some worrying news today, Hue will end of life Hue brige V1 and also the integration with Alexa and Google Assistant.
Will this in any way affect the current bridge plugin in Indigo?
As far as I understand it emulates a Hue bridge and obviously and old technology because it only works using av Alexa Gen 1 device, in the network?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... ud-updates

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 pm
siclark offline

Finally, on the 5th attempt, and a good reminder to always RTFM, I have got my own Alexa skill up and running using my own server running on a free eligible AWS ECS ubuntu instance.

This now means we can self host an Indigo skill that gives access to all devices in Alexa, not just emulating hue bulbs and importantly, it doesnt need 1st gen echos to run.

Its late, and I have the last little bit to do tomorrow, but I will try and get this written up in the next week, but this resolves the limitation with the previous implementation of this, that it was running on someone else's server (although its still his code, so open to anyone who understands giving it a once over).

I have learnt a lot in the last few weeks. How to create a virtual machine on ECS, how to use cloudflare, how to use docker and nginx, and lambda and custom Alexa skills.

However I am now very happy as to what I can do with Alexa.

As it turns out, I think my server is open to anyone else that wants to use it, or you can create your own as I have done.

Time for some sleep.

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:39 am
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
Exciting news - Well done!

Looking forward to trying this out. :D

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:25 am
mundmc offline

Wow!!! Thanks siclark!!! You’re really upping your game too

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:51 pm
siclark offline

Thanks.
Turns out I have a chance to perfect the instructions by doing it all again. I set it up under one account at AWS but Alexa skill development uses another.
6th time’s a charm.

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm
mgolden50 offline

Does anyone think that there’s a chance that someone might convert Simon’s solution into a simple plugin that might be useable by the rest of us less enlightened souls?

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:12 pm
RAID5 offline

Wow, siclark, you relly give us som e hope here! Sounds promising. I work as a IT technican, if I can help you with anything just send me a PM and I will do what I can. If there is anything I would like to my Indigo setup it's a good Alexa integration.

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:56 am
siclark offline

RAID5 wrote:
Wow, siclark, you relly give us som e hope here! Sounds promising. I work as a IT technican, if I can help you with anything just send me a PM and I will do what I can. If there is anything I would like to my Indigo setup it's a good Alexa integration.

Thanks. I have the developer helping at the moment, seems to be a DNS / firewall issue with nodered on the ubuntu VM and connectivity with AWS.

To be clear, you can already use the production setup of this skill that gives you a full Alexa integration today using all the different devices that Alexa supports, ie light, lock, TV, stereo etc, not just Hue bulb emulation, but you need to use a 3rd party server and also run nodered on your mac / pi / nas to translate between nodered and Indigo.

I am doing this today and it works great. What I am trying to do now is setup my own server to host this on ECS so that I dont have to use a 3rd party server, and can then give instructions on how to do this for others. I am hoping that once setup, the traffic will all be included in ECS free tier so no charges.

You will still need nodered, unless someone can come up with a plugin.

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:29 pm
dbn95003 offline

You will still need nodered, .

Does it matter which version?

There are two: 12.16.1 (recommended for most users) and 13.13.0 (Current, lstest features)

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm
mgolden50 offline

Hi Simon,
You refer to a “production level Alexa skill”. What is the name of the skill and where do I find it?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:27 pm
siclark offline

Yes. There is a while other thread on it, here.

Indigo / Node-Red / Alexa
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Actually there are two Alexa skills. One just using node red that runs as root so can access port 80 on all echos v2+ etc but does mean some work setting up connection from node red. Not much harder than setting up in the Alexa plugin on indigo once you know how.

The other is a full Alexa skill that lets you set up non light devices. Ie I have a lock device so Alexa prompts for a code to unlock then unlocks an indigo device.
Currently you need to use a third party server that runs the bridge , but I’m trying to get clear instructions to setup a VM on ECS for anyone to self host the bridge if security is a concern.

Posted on
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:37 pm
mgolden50 offline

Thanks Simon

Posted on
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 am
yassi offline

Can someone please post the two mentioned Alexa skills here?
I have here three skills when I look for "nodered"

Thx and stay safe!
Yassi
Attachments
IMG_1663.PNG
IMG_1663.PNG (219.75 KiB) Viewed 5459 times