espressodaily offline

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

I entered in IP address of server and now it's working

Posted on
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:18 pm
autolog offline

OK - So a network related issue once Catalina is installed. :(

Telling the plugin the IP address of the Indigo server (via the plugin config settings) seems to resolve this particular issue.
From the plugin documentation for the Override Host IP Address config setting:
If you tick this box, then you can specify the host address of the Apple Mac that the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin is running on (rather than the plugin discovering it automatically). This is not normally needed but can help in problem situations.

When this is ticked, it reveals the field to enter the Host IP Address into. It is your responsibility to specify it correctly e.g. '192.168.1.100' (no quotes). Reload the Plugin after saving this change.

I am glad it has resolved the issue for some of you. :)

Posted on
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:22 pm
autolog offline

sarahcat wrote:
... Nothing in the log. Not sure how to turn debugging on specifically for the plug-in, ...

You don't need it now as you have resolved your problem but I did tell you how in this post: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?p=183445#p183445 :wink:

Posted on
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:31 pm
sarahcat offline

I was attempting to use the Edit the A-H Bridge device and not Configure the Plugin from the "Plugin" tab. The layouts are similar and I was missing the debug information, since I was Editing and not Configuring the plugin.

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've added this step to the post.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am
BigDaddyNC offline

I got my Echo Dot Gen 1 delivered yesterday and got right to setting it up.

Went ahead and unplugged all of my other Echo Dots and set up the new (old) one. It discovered all of the devices published by the Hue Bridge Emulator and restored that function.

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I had written a device driver and a SmartApp for my SmartThings hub to send and receive status changes and commands to/from Indigo. It also allowed control of lighting -- but the big problem is that it was Very Slow because of latency caused by SmartThings' interaction with The Cloud. My wife has been complaining about the slowness for weeks (and you know when Mama ain't happy....), so I am quite pleased that this functionality is restored. The response time is now dramatically reduced.

Side note: I did the initial discovery with my Gen 2 and Gen 3 Echo Dots unplugged. I later made some changes and published/discovered a few new devices via the Alexa-Hue Bridge with the Gen 2's and one Gen 3 plugged back in. As long as the Echo Dot Gen 1 was on the network, discovery would still work. I had to give the command on the Gen 1 -- so I'd mute the mic on the Gen 2, un-mute on the Gen 1, issue the commands, etc.

Also confirming others, the Echo Dot Gen 1 needs to remain on your network in order for the commands to get properly sent to the bridge on Indigo. I unplugged it and tested and got the same "can't find blah, blah, check your power supply and network connection, blah, blah with the awkward accenting on the wrong syllables). What I've done is put the Echo Dot Gen 1 in my server closet with the microphone muted.

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:33 pm
sarahcat offline

Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

BigDaddyNC wrote:
I got my Echo Dot Gen 1 delivered yesterday and got right to setting it up.

Went ahead and unplugged all of my other Echo Dots and set up the new (old) one. It discovered all of the devices published by the Hue Bridge Emulator and restored that function.

I used my Gen 1 Echo to discover my devices, but I never unplugged any of my other later generation Echo devices. I was able to again use my Alexa-Hue Bridge, after I resolved the default IP address problem.

Why are so many unplugging the other devices? All I did to use my Gen 1 Echo was to press the Action button and issue the voice command “Discover” and my other devices were never awakened.

Just curious, since you also mentioned that everything did not get discovered when you had some of your 2nd and 3rd gen Echos unplugged and I had no such problem. I have a lot of devices and unplugging them all would be a real pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I added it to the description because I wanted to make sure that no other Alexa devices kept a cache of discovered devices. It may not be necessary, but we know for a fact (from previous reports on this thread) that it worked for those that did it that way.

Glad you're back up and running.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 pm
billorav offline

Jay, I was holding off trying to buy a used Echo 1st Gen, but just yesterday found one back on Amazon and I'm now up and running today. Not sure if this helps in your Skill development but I looked at the firmware update and the Echo 1 has Ver: 647588720 which seems to be very close to my Echo Dot 2 which has Ver: 647642120. I think the Echo 2 went through several firmware updates since the Alexa bridge went down awhile back. Maybe be solely related to hardware with the older Echo. Hopefully Amazon won't brick the 1st Gen Echo's anytime soon. Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the input. I just checked and my gen 1 Echos have been updated to that version as well (and they continue to work fortunately). I REALLY wish there were a way to stop automatic firmware upgrades... :roll:

billorav wrote:
Not sure if this helps in your Skill development

The skill won't be dependent on firmware versions. This plugin uses reverse engineered information to work (not the official Skill API).

billorav wrote:
Hopefully Amazon won't brick the 1st Gen Echo's anytime soon. Thanks.

Me too... :|

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:56 am
BigDaddyNC offline

Just curious, since you also mentioned that everything did not get discovered when you had some of your 2nd and 3rd gen Echos unplugged and I had no such problem. I have a lot of devices and unplugging them all would be a real pain.

I did it because the previous posts had recommended it. It was a pain and when I did subsequent discoveries I left the others plugged in because I didn't feeling like traipsing through the house and going through the whole plug/unplug thing.

Since I have the Gen 1 and a Gen 2 (both Echo Dots) right next to me in my Study, I would mute the mic on the Gen 2 and un-mute the Gen 1 and issue the discovery command and discovery works as advertised.

That's a Good Thing as I always add a few devices to control holiday lighting around this time of year.

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:22 am
sarahcat offline

Since I have the Gen 1 and a Gen 2 (both Echo Dots) right next to me in my Study, I would mute the mic on the Gen 2 and un-mute the Gen 1 and issue the discovery command and discovery works as advertised.

That's a Good Thing as I always add a few devices to control holiday lighting around this time of year.[/quote]

I accomplished this by using the Action button to wake the Gen 1 Echo, before I issued the voice command “Discover”. That effectively eliminates any other Echo devices from attempting discovery.

Comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:29 am
rborrazas offline

Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

I’m not sure if I’m just not lucky... I have a GEN1 echo and powered off all my GEN2 dots. No joy on my end. When I asked the GEN1 echo to discover all devices it flat out tells me it can’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 am
mgolden50 offline

I just had a weird experience. Using a Gen 1 Echo several weeks ago I successfully discovered all devices with all of my echo dots unplugged. It's been working great for almost a month on all dots. Last night for some reason all of the devices were no longer connected to Alexa. this morning rather than going around the house to un plug all of the dots before rediscovering using the Gen 1 I thought it would be clever to just deregister the dots on the Alexa app. Mistake!! I leaned to simply reregister the dots after the Gen 1 discovery. So I not only had to go around unplugging the dots. I then had to add them back to the Alexa app as new devices one by one. This lack of a solid interface to Alexa is certainly all a pain in the neck.

Page 18 of 24 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24