Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

And one more question: anyone have a gen1 Echo Plus and does that still work?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 am
Barnman offline

echo_sw_versions.png
echo_sw_versions.png (78.48 KiB) Viewed 13247 times

What is odd, is that the software that is loaded onto my dot that got updated, that software version isn’t listed on the website, it still shows the software of the unit that got everything working again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Seems like the list you show in the image is out of date...

[MODERATOR NOTE] updated your post with a smaller version of the image so it doesn't dominate the post... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:41 am
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
Seems like the list you show in the image is out of date...

[MODERATOR NOTE] updated your post with a smaller version of the image so it doesn't dominate the post... ;)

Sorry on Tapatalk it looks normal,
I’ll have to figure out how to change the size

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 am
Colly offline

3 Echo's on my network, plus 2 x Fire TV and a couple of Fire Tablets.
Echo software versions 641575220 x 2 and the other is 2785572740.
No issues at all :D

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colly wrote:
Echo software versions 641575220 x 2

Which echo are they?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:46 pm
Colly offline

jay (support) wrote:
Colly wrote:
Echo software versions 641575220 x 2

Which echo are they?

They're both Gen 2 and the other is recent Gen 3 purchase.

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm
autolog offline

This is getting more mysterious :?

I have got two Gen 1 Echos [Firmware=641571120] and three Dots (Gen 2) [Firmware=641575220].
Which as I understand it are the latest firmwares for the devices.

However, it appears that for Alexa to interact with the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin, a specific Echo Dot has to be online. As soon as I disconnect this specific Echo Dot and wait for it to go to offline status (as checked on alexa.amazon.co.uk), if I then issue a turn on command, Alexa says device is not responding. The three Echo Dots are all the same model and firmware. The only difference I have detected is that the working device is on my 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and the remainder are on 5Ghz Wi-Fi. I moved one of the 5Ghz Echo Dots onto the 2.4Ghz network but that didn't make a difference.

So I am not convinced that it is the firmware that is the issue.

It almost seems that Alexa has decided that a specific Echo Dot will be used for all commands sent to the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin and if it isn't online or has issues it won't work with any other. For the most part this won't be a problem until the specific Echo Dot / Echo that Alexa is using goes pear shaped. This could explain why some users are seeing issues and (I hope) the majority aren't.

Of course it could be a plugin issue but that isn't something that I have yet been able to pin down. :|

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Barnman offline

autolog wrote:

I have got two Gen 1 Echos [Firmware=641571120] and three Dots (Gen 2) [Firmware=641575220].
Which as I understand it are the latest firmwares for the devices.

However, it appears that for Alexa to interact with the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin, a specific Echo Dot has to be online. As soon as I disconnect this specific Echo Dot and wait for it to go to offline status (as checked on alexa.amazon.co.uk), if I then issue a turn on command, Alexa says device is not responding. The three Echo Dots are all the same model and firmware. The only difference I have detected is that the working device is on my 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and the remainder are on 5Ghz Wi-Fi. I moved one of the 5Ghz Echo Dots onto the 2.4Ghz network but that didn't make a difference.

So I am not convinced that it is the firmware that is the issue.

It almost seems that Alexa has decided that a specific Echo Dot will be used for all commands sent to the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin and if it isn't online or has issues it won't work with any other. For the most part this won't be a problem until the specific Echo Dot / Echo that Alexa is using goes pear shaped. This could explain why some users are seeing issues and (I hope) the majority aren't.

Of course it could be a plugin issue but that isn't something that I have yet been able to pin down. :|

My question for that then, is why would my gen 2 that has always been my main device, quit working, and now a second gen 2 device that wasn’t connected now has to be the one plugged in? Only difference between the two devices is the software is a higher number now on my original one.

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:11 pm
autolog offline

As a follow on, it is worth noting that the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin will output a message to the log when it receives a command of the form:
Code: Select all
   Alexa-Hue Bridge                Request received from 'Amazon Echo Dot [Dining Room]':37267: Setting on state of Alexa device "Study Lamp West" ["Study Lamp [W]"] to ON
   LIFX                            sent "Study Lamp [W]" on with duration of 2.0 seconds

The message informs you as to which Echo received the command from Alexa. To get this output format, you have to setup an Amazon Echo device in the Alexa-Hue Bridge via the New... command. Just define a name as per normal and enter the Echos IP address.

In my experience, the command is always issued from the same Echo Dot regardless as to which Echo / Echo Dot you address the turn on/off request. :)

If this is the case for you, it will identify the important Echo device that is used to send commands to the Alexa-Hue bridge. :)

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 pm
autolog offline

Barnman wrote:
My question for that then, is why would my gen 2 that has always been my main device, quit working, and now a second gen 2 device that wasn’t connected now has to be the one plugged in? Only difference between the two devices is the software is a higher number now on my original one.

It could be that resetting the plugin and forgetting all devices does a reset and it picked up your new to be the "master" Echo?

I am just guessing here. It would be nice for this to turn out to have a simple fix, but I don't see it at the moment. :|

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite explain it I don't think. My nephew has a gen2 dot and a gen2 echo. It worked for a year, now it doesn't any more (no change other than presumably firmware versions). I'm doing some diagnostics with him as well so we'll see.

three Dots (Gen 2) [Firmware=641575220]

So, there's definitely a difference. His gen2 dot has 645582720.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:22 pm
Colly offline

autolog wrote:
However, it appears that for Alexa to interact with the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin, a specific Echo Dot has to be online. As soon as I disconnect this specific Echo Dot and wait for it to go to offline status (as checked on alexa.amazon.co.uk), if I then issue a turn on command, Alexa says device is not responding.

I can confirm the same happens in my setup. The devices appear to be associated with one of the Gen 2 Dots.

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:23 pm
Barnman offline

autolog wrote:
Barnman wrote:

It could be that resetting the plugin and forgetting all devices does a reset and it picked up your new to be the "master" Echo?

I am just guessing here. It would be nice for this to turn out to have a simple fix, but I don't see it at the moment. :|

Just seems weird that all the Phillips Hues reviews for the skill in Alexa are all upset because all their devices stopped working, with the update, similar to some of our issues. I’m wondering if they accidentally let a beta version go out to some, because my gen two that got updated, has a software version that isn’t listed anywhere. And yet the device that is working correctly has a software version similar to others here that haven’t had any issues

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 pm
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
autolog wrote:

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite explain it I don't think. My nephew has a gen2 dot and a gen2 echo. It worked for a year, now it doesn't any more (no change other than presumably firmware versions). I'm doing some diagnostics with him as well so we'll see.

three Dots (Gen 2) [Firmware=641575220]

So, there's definitely a difference. His gen2 dot has 645582720.

And mine that quit working at 644580520