Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed devices

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 am
FlyingDiver online

Re: Alexa no longer discovering Indigo installed/managed dev

autolog wrote:
Are these caused by the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin? If so I would expect a bit more detail in the log.

'clientConnectionStatus' does not appear anywhere in the Alexa-Hue plugin code. So it's something else causing that error.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:19 am
glitz offline

I have the same problem too. A few days ago, alexa started saying that the device is not responding for all alexia-hue-bridge devices. Tried to forget the devices and discover again and after that Alexa doesn't find any devices. From what I can see in the logs, it seems that the hue-bridge is receiving discovery requests from Alexa, but Alexa says that she didn't discover any new devices. Can't see any errors in the log.

It has previously been working for months and I haven't changed anything. I tried updating Indigo and the plugin to the latest releases, but still doesn't work. I only have the wired network interface enabled. I have a echo dot 2 gen, a echo 2 gen and a echo show 2 gen. I have also tried to disconnect all echos but the echo dot. Have tried to restart all echos and indigo. Also tried to set up a second hue-bridge in parallell, but that one wasn't found either.

Attaching the logs. 192.168.2.85 is the echo dot.

Any ideas?
Attachments
2019-09-01 Events.txt
Event log
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
1850plugin.log
plugin.log
(46.91 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:14 pm
autolog offline

Thanks for the event and plugin logs. :)

Unfortunately, I don't have an immediate response to this problem - I am somewhat at a loss to see what is happening. :(

Not that it helps, but I have just added and deleted multiple devices and run multiple discoveries and it is all working for me (I hope I am not tempting fate here!).

My base dot is a Gen 1 - I am wondering whether there has been an update to the Gen 2 Dot that is causing the problem?

I will run a test tomorrow and compare your logs with mine to see if I can spot what isn't happening on your system. :)

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:21 pm
glitz offline

Thanks for looking in to it! Just remembered one more thing that might be a piece of the puzzle. When I first got the problem, I tried to just forget one of the devices in Alexa, and then discovery worked to find that device again (although Alexa still said that it wasn't responding). I then tried to forget all devices and after that, Alexa doesn't find any of the devices.

Posted on
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:17 pm
smsstuart offline

As with another user - this worked for me: Going to Alexa.amazon.com and forgetting all devices; then searching for devices again. Then, the devices began to respond - albeit, very slowly. At that point I disabled the Alexa plug-in; then re-enabled it. Following all those procedures, all operations returned to normal.

Looking at the reviews for the Alexa skills for the Philips Hue, there's a flurry of pissed-off folks, noting how the latest update has trashed the skill - with it "unable to find my devices", etc. And that unhappy commentary happened right around August 25th, or 26th.

Posted on
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:47 am
autolog offline

I have released a new version incorporating recent pre-release fixes. :)

Despite extensive testing, I haven't been able to find any solution to or reason for the problems that users are experiencing. :(

I have released the update to get the latest (minor) changes as the official release. :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 am
PETStech offline

PETStech wrote:

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall/reconfigure the Alexa-Hue Bridge and see if I can get it working, again.

Tried above. Still, Alexa not discovering Alex-Hue Bridge., neither with iOS app nor via website, while Smart Life and MagicLight WF skills and devices found and working. Meanwhile, control with Indigo Touch and Indigo 7.2 apps continues without any problem.

At a BIG loss. Surprised more are not reporting problems since mid-August Alexa upgrade.

- Tom
Last edited by PETStech on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 pm
Barnman offline

PETStech wrote:
PETStech wrote:

I'm going to uninstall/reinstall/reconfigure the Alexa-Hue Bridge and see if I can get it working, again.

Tried above. Still, Alexa not discovering Alex-Hue Bridge., neither with iOS app nor via website, while Smart Life and MagicLight WF skills and devices found and working. Meanwhile, control with Indigo Touch and Indigo 7.2 apps continues without any problem.

At a BIG loss. Surprised more are reporting problems since mid-August Alexa upgrade.

- Tom

I’ve been going through this as well, been frustrating all the things I’ve been doing, but it is looking more and more like an Alexa issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:35 pm
Barnman offline

I figured mine out, I had one echo dot 2nd gen that was not updated last week.
I disconnected all my other dots and shows, and then it discovered without any issues. I feel pretty confident that it is all related to the software level of the echo device

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:51 am
johnnyrt offline

I'm having an awful time at this, I think I have read just about every post about this.

Here's my log:
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:14:02 AM
Disabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.32"
Stopping plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.32" (pid 915)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge shutdown requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopping...
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopped
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopping...
Alexa-Hue Bridge HTTP server stopped
Stopped plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.32"
Enabling plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.32"
Starting plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.32" (pid 1002)
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialising . . .
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: '192.168.1.2'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge Warning Debugging enabled for Alexa-Hue Bridge: General, Server, Broadcaster, Responder, non-Echo Network Filter, Method Trace
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.32"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'ALEX Test bridge' has one Alexa Device published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'ALEX Test bridge' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'ALEX Test bridge' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge 'ALEX Test bridge' started: Host: 192.168.1.2 Port: 8178
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'ALEXA BRIDGE 1' has u3 Alexa Devices published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'ALEXA BRIDGE 1' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'ALEXA BRIDGE 1' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge 'ALEXA BRIDGE 1' started: Host: 192.168.1.2 Port: 8180
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to http://www.google.com successfully completed.

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:15:28 AM
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error 'ALEXA BRIDGE 1' Responder.run: socket error: [Errno 64] Host is down
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error 'ALEX Test bridge' Responder.run: socket error: [Errno 64] Host is down

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:23:43 AM
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error plugin does not define method checkRateLimit

Sep 4, 2019 at 1:33:11 AM
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'self.ahbDev.name'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in HttpdRequestHandler for 'ALEXA BRIDGE 1'. Line '185' has error='[Errno 32] Broken pipe'

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing "Responder.run: socket error: [Errno 64] Host is down"
I have edited the hosts file,
Reinstalled the plugin.
Forgetting all devices on alexa.amazon.com
UpnP is on.
lsof -i :1900
Port forwarded set (just in case)
many many tests
My bridge logs are all turned on, however I don't think my echos are communicating in bound.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Barnman wrote:
I disconnected all my other dots and shows, and then it discovered without any issues. I feel pretty confident that it is all related to the software level of the echo device

What is the version number of the latest Echo release? Mine are still working, but I haven't tried to do a discover and I'm not inclined to do it now for fear that it will break something.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
Barnman wrote:

What is the version number of the latest Echo release? Mine are still working, but I haven't tried to do a discover and I'm not inclined to do it now for fear that it will break something.

The new software on my gen 2 is
The dot that made it work again has

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yep, mine are still at a version (641571120 on one, slightly different on others but still 64157*) slightly earlier than the latter one you posted. I don't recall disabling automatic updates, and I don't see any way to turn it on/off in the Alexa app. Anyone know how to toggle automatic updates on an Echo?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:42 am
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
Yep, mine are still at a version (641571120 on one, slightly different on others but still 64157*) slightly earlier than the latter one you posted. I don't recall disabling automatic updates, and I don't see any way to turn it on/off in the Alexa app. Anyone know how to toggle automatic updates on an Echo?

I was searching last night, and couldn’t find it, I’m scared my one left holding it all together is going to do an automatic update at anytime!

Posted on
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah, all my echo devices are gen1 (echo and 3 dots). It may be that the gen1 devices aren't getting the latest software update.

Question to everyone not having the issue: do you guys have a gen1 on your network? Do you have a mix of gen1 and newer devices? I'm wondering if all that's needed is 1 gen1 device on the network or if things go south if you have any newer echo devices on the network.

Jay (Indigo Support)