Alexa says all devices are not responding

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:17 am
autolog offline
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+1 aka UTC+1]

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

Barnman wrote:
So when I ask Alexa to turn on the den lights, instead of saying the device is not responding, it says “den doesn’t support that”


I can get that behaviour if I ask Alexa to "Close study curtains" for example - I have to say "turn on study curtains". You can get round this by using Alexa Routines. The only downside of this are a) it is something else to setup and b) you have to go through the process again if you have to forget the device (for any reason) in the Alexa Web App.

In your case, it would explain why nothing comes through to the plugin if Alexa doesn't think that Den Lights is supported (for some reason).

So Alexa doesn't appear to be recognising Den Lights as a Hue Lamp . What does the Alexa Web App show the device as; a light bulb?

The mystery deepens. :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

There is no devices listed in the web app, I’m so lost!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:00 am
autolog offline
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+1 aka UTC+1]

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

Barnman wrote:
There is no devices listed in the web app, I’m so lost!!!!


If Den Lights didn't exist then Alexa would say something like "Sorry, I didn't find a device called Den Lights"

In the previous post you stated that Alexa replied: den doesn’t support that.
This implies to me that Alexa knows about Den Lights and the fact that the Indigo log shows discovery working implies that Alexa does as well.

You aren't running separate Amazon accounts on your echos by any chance? :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

autolog wrote:
Barnman wrote:
There is no devices listed in the web app, I’m so lost!!!!


If Den Lights didn't exist then Alexa would say something like "Sorry, I didn't find a device called Den Lights"

In the previous post you stated that Alexa replied: den doesn’t support that.
This implies to me that Alexa knows about Den Lights and the fact that the Indigo log shows discovery working implies that Alexa does as well.

You aren't running separate Amazon accounts on your echos by any chance? :)

Nope one account, that is it, I have about 7 Alexa devices, but they are all on one account. I’m just really confused as how it was working fine and then all of a sudden not working at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:04 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

I will also add, when I do try to discover new devices, It says no new devices have been discovered, even though in that log you see it did discover the den lights


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:06 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

Only thing I haven’t tried, I will try tonight when I get home, is unplugged all my devices except for one of the early devices, and try it again


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 am
autolog offline
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+1 aka UTC+1]

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

So if you say to Alexa turn off den lights what reply are you now getting?

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:12 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

autolog wrote:
So if you say to Alexa turn off den lights what reply are you now getting?

“Den doesn’t support that”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 am
autolog offline
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+1 aka UTC+1]

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

So what happens if you say to Alexa turn off sunshine what reply do you get?

I am assuming you haven't got any devices named sunshine. :wink:

EDIT: qwerty gave a funny response :?

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:21 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

autolog wrote:
So what happens if you say to Alexa turn off qwerty what reply do you get?

I am assuming you haven't got any devices named qwerty. :wink:


“Sorry I didn’t find a device called qwerty”
I feel that is getting somewhere, where I don’t know though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

Now I tried just doing “living room lights”
She said” sorry living room doesn’t support that” but I have deleted living room lights completely.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:27 am
autolog offline
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+1 aka UTC+1]

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

Are you logging on via a mac / pc to the Alexa website or doing it through the Alexa App?

When you deleted devices, I assume you were using the Forget command?

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:29 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

autolog wrote:
Are you logging on via a mac / pc to the Alexa website or doing it through the Alexa App?

When you deleted devices, I assume you were using the Forget command?

When I deleted devices, I used the descktop Alexa website, and selected forget


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 am
autolog offline
Posts: 3243
Joined: Sep 10, 2013
Location: West Sussex, UK [GMT+1 aka UTC+1]

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

If you aren't at home at the moment(?), how are you speaking to Alexa?

Posted on
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 am
Barnman offline
Posts: 101
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Parkton, NC

Re: Alexa says all devices are not responding

autolog wrote:
If you aren't at home at the moment(?), how are you speaking to Alexa?

Alexa app


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest