Different device types (besides lights) i.e. Sensors?

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:21 pm
whmoorejr offline

Different device types (besides lights) i.e. Sensors?

Is it possible to add the "Sensors API" definitions to the bridge? If we could add a virtual sensor, you could set up triggers for routines within Alexa that could do fancy Alexa things... like announce stuff. I'm not sure if the bridge (pretending to be a Hue Hub) can only use devices that Hue makes or can different device types be added in?

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/smarthome/build-smart-home-skills-for-sensors.html

Either way... an overdue congrats on the bridge. Mine has been running stable for a year or two without any major issues. (I have to disable my PLEX server whenever I add/discover new Alexa devices)

Lastly... if this is a dead end. Do you know of any work-arounds? I was toying with the idea of creating virtual wemo devices. But I can only find write-ups to make them into virtual outlets running on a raspberrys. (not exactly what I'm trying to achieve)

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Different device types (besides lights) i.e. Sensors?

No. This plugin works by pretending to be a Hue Hub. The direct integration between an Alexa device and the Hue Hub (i.e. cloudless connection which has been discontinued now but still works on older Echos) only knows about lights. The plugin therefore couldn't present anything that would appear to the Alexa device to be anything other than a light.

I don't believe there's any way this plugin can be used to present sensor data that would allow Alexa to speak the value, but I also haven't ever tried it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1