Wanted to say thank you

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Wanted to say thank you

Any hints what new superpowers the new version will have?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I don't think Apple will "cut off" HomeKit, there are a lot of folks with a lot invested in it and it benefits Apple when 3rd party developers "hack" together solutions like the MANY solutions using Homebridge (from Vera to Control to Indigo and everything in between).

The same could be said for controlling Apple TV's remotely. In fact, many of us expected it eventually but it never happened. I've learned to never expect Apple to do anything that I think is a no-brainer.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

jay (support) wrote:
The same could be said for controlling Apple TV's remotely. In fact, many of us expected it eventually but it never happened

But one difference there was that it was always an encrypted closed source setup, whereas HomeKit has a well documented API and because of that it's been adopted much more. If it started out as encrypted and unavailable then I agree, but since it started as open then it would seem to be a big mistake for them to close it up. I don't know, maybe it's being hopeful, but I really do think that accessing HomeKit via Homebridge will be around for a while and, if not, oh well.

Different Computers wrote:
Any hints what new superpowers the new version will have?

Well, for starters, every HomeKit device will be natively available, so not having to stick to just the 8 or so devices that are defined. From the obscure to the common, from CO2 sensors down to the humble outlet (yea, it's different than a switch). So from 8 devices to around 70 - which makes the app much more usable.

Each device you link up will have the ability to have custom sources for the data. Right now if you want temperature and humidity in HomeKit you need to either put up the WUnderground homebridge add-on or use Device Extensions to create a virtual thermostat and put it out there like that, now you can use the actual devices and point them to whatever device state, attribute, property or variable you want.

Wrappers and Aliases will no longer be a part of the plugin because they won't be needed. Just like the Alexa Bridge lets you alias a device when you select it, so does the new HomeKit Bridge (working title). Wrappers are also part of this routine to a smaller extent and if you need to supercharge it you can either use HBB for Wrappers or Device Extensions, which has also gotten a major overhaul to make it play with the new plugin.

There's a LOT more but those are the highlights. I'm probably going to be ready to drop an Alpha in the next two weeks or so, I'm running it myself right now and it's working well but I still have a lot of work to do on the Homebridge side of things before it's ready.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
But one difference there was that it was always an encrypted closed source setup, whereas HomeKit has a well documented API and because of that it's been adopted much more. If it started out as encrypted and unavailable then I agree, but since it started as open then it would seem to be a big mistake for them to close it up.

And, there's the rub: the Apple TV used the same unencrypted protocol that iTunes does (and which was reverse engineered) at first, then they started encrypting it with the 3rd generation. And the HomeKit API wasn't documented publicly and was heavily licensed. Homebridge is based on reverse engineered information as well.

I'm just saying that there is precedence here that would not rule out Apple locking it down even further. They've done it before (for unknown reasons) and they could do it again.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:22 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I know, anything could happen and if it does then I'll just roll with the punches. I hope not.

I wasn't referring to Homebridge being an API product, I know that it was a reverse engineer job, but the HomeKit API has been out there for developers of iOS apps for some time, so there was adoption from that aspect which surely benefitted HB in their reverse engineering (i.e., the complete list of device types and their structure).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here