POLL: Integrated Plugin Request

What Integrated Homebridge Plugins Would You Like To See ? You may select up to 4.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Posted on
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

POLL: Integrated Plugin Request

Here are some Homebridge plugins that I have considered as possible candidates for the integrated version of Homebridge that is packaged with HBB. If there's one you would like to see that is not on the list then post a reply to the thread. Keep in mind that not all plugins are possible (i.e., camera requires the full Homebridge-Indigo implementation from Webdeck to function) but if they don't require a lot of additional libraries to run then it may be possible to integrate them.

You can research any of the proposed options at the NPM Homebridge Plugin List by browsing the list or searching for Homebridge-??? where ??? is the plugin name you are researching (i.e., Homebridge-ifttt).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:10 pm
durosity offline

Re: POLL: Integrated Plugin Request

Homebridge-envisalink for DSC alarms seems like a nice one to support. It’s recently been updated with support for non-sequencial zones which would make integration much easier. However one big problem is the envisalink only supports one connection at a time so if someone were to use that they wouldn’t be able to use travisc/monstergerms plug-in for indigo so I suppose if there was a way to mirror the homebridge info in indigo (eg zones, a device for status, etc) that’d be handy. (Of course this really would be a big job so if you were to consider it don’t throw yourself in too quickly :) )

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
this really would be a big job so if you were to consider it don’t throw yourself in too quickly

I'm budgeting my time for HBB updating so as not to fry myself again. Today is a catch up day of getting documentation updated, the plugin store cleaned up and a few other housekeeping chores. As for your request, I'll have to see how the poll comes out, if it's not a huge deal I might just throw it in there as an experimental release to see a proof of concept for what it is going to take to go the entire distance (sort of like Weatherunderground which I did this for and then removed because it sucked).

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:24 pm
durosity offline

Shame about that! :(

One other thing I’d like to see in HBB but I assume it’d involve work from webdecks side of things would be the ability to add temperature, etc sensors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
I assume it’d involve work from webdecks side of things

Yup! If he updates it then I can roll it into HBB. But in the meantime I can add external support via the HB rather than HB-Indigo.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Since IFTTT was off to an early lead and it was already something I wanted to incorporate it's now part of HBB starting at 1.0.4. Once the three integrated plugins get some traction with users and I've had a chance to really run them for a while it'll be officially released to the plugin store.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:41 am
Different Computers offline

I have trouble figuring out what homebridge-config UI does that HomeBridge Buddy doesn't already do. That's about the only one that intrigues me for now aside from things that require an update to HomeBridge, like -camera.

As I was poised over the keyboard thinking of terms I might search for to extend HBB, I ended up drawing a blank. I let my mind range further afield, to what sort of extension to Indigo itself might be useful, and short of Homebridge-Watson, a fully secure local AI instance, I could not think of a single thing HBB/Indigo doesn't already do for me. (Though better Siri control of things like Apple Music would be awesome. For example: "Siri, play the newest album by Alien Knife Fight on House Audio."

That however, is probably a limitation of Siri rather than HBB.

This chain of thought left me with the realization that Indigo and HBB (and the many other plugins I use) have really realized the full current potential of home automation for me. So thanks for that C4W, Matt, Jay, and all the plugin authors!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Wow Different, that was incredibly generous of you to say just overall, thank you!

I've held off on Config UI for a while for one major reason: it has potential for less knowledgeable users to do some real damage. I think it's super cool as an interface to the config but a bit scary.

My thought process starts with a Notes note that I always have around "thinks I couldn't do with my HA system via voice" and that is what inspires me to do something new. In the beginning it was really easy because very time I had to touch a control page screen or the Indigo client I made a note. Now it's been more around what I can do without ANY intervention whatsoever - something I've always done with Indigo. Geofencing, but smart geofencing, is a big part of what I do and I have written extensive automation around my cameras and motion sensors to know who is where and for how long so that lights and climate controls and everything else all just do their thing without any commands from us.

Whole house audio, without needing a Sonos, is so easy with Alexa and it's so easy to tell her to play what I want but her library is so small - and thus why I wanted the HomePod :evil: . Now that's part of my 2018 focus for HA.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 pm
Different Computers offline

I am doing fine now with Home Remote and the Ubiquiti plugin managing presence, but this would be valuable for people who haven't done those and are struggling with presence:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-people

While there are lots of ways to do it in Indigo, presence was what I found to be the single most challenging task when I came here, because all the methods either require more hardware (Ubiquiti, Fingscan, piBeacon) have a relatively high technical bar to them (piBeacon), and/or the implementation method involves a truly terrible UI (Home Remote.)

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:30 pm
kw123 offline

Fingscan does not require any extra hardware... here my take:
Looking at homebridge: it is very similar to fingscan
Fingscan does ping, portscan and listen to arp packages
Home bridge does: ping and can include other information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:43 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I appreciate the ideas. I'm looking at several different "beacon" type add-ins for HBB, the people version looks pretty good.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:07 pm
Londonmark offline

I’ve messed around a bit with creating a virtual device for each member of my household and having HomeKit triggers switch them on / off as we each arrive / leave. Works well sometime but occasionally goes crazy and keeps triggering on and off at random when we are home. Can or figure out why but guessing it’s a HomeKit issue rather than anything else.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:43 pm
rehafer offline

So far, the HomeKit geofencing/ Virtual Switch solution I’ve tried. Still not perfect, but less imperfect than other geofencing or beacon solutions I’ve tried.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:55 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

rehafer wrote:
So far, the HomeKit geofencing/ Virtual Switch solution I’ve tried. Still not perfect, but less imperfect than other geofencing or beacon solutions I’ve tried.

Which one is that and what others have you tried?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm
rehafer offline

Currently, I’ve got 2 Virtual Switches setup, one for me and one for my Mom who is living with me. (Getting her to want to carry her iPhone with when she leaves the house was a major victory). The switches are included in HBB and I use HomeKit Automation to turn the switches on at arrive, off st leave. Indigo then knows who’s home by switch state.
I’ve used Geohopper and various models of iBeacon with intermittent success.