POLL: Integrated Plugin Request

What Integrated Homebridge Plugins Would You Like To See ? You may select up to 4.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:26 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: POLL: Integrated Plugin Request

Yea, even IFTTT's geofencing is wonky as all get-out. It'll work for me about 70% of the time at best. I also use the built-in HomeKit location services to turn on virtual devices.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:03 pm
agame offline

The Homebridge Buddy experience is amazingly elegant, and pretty quick to set up (after a couple of fruitless attempts with the 'raw' method). Only major trick for me was figuring out I needed to change the user details for second instance at a country house (even though not on the same network).

At the moment, it is also a very useful workaround for the lack of user-level access control on Indigo (I can easily add and remove houseguests at the weekender).

I'd love to implement the cameras plugin, but I'm fearful of moving away from the integrated version of Homebridge. Next task is to integrate the home/away functions via some virtual switches, I don't find fingscan particularly reliable for that.

Posted on
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

agame wrote:
The Homebridge Buddy experience is amazingly elegant, and pretty quick to set up

Thank you, very generous of you to say so.

agame wrote:
Only major trick for me was figuring out I needed to change the user details for second instance at a country house (even though not on the same network).

That was never something I had even considered when writing HBB. There is a "guest" device but it is for guests within your main HomeKit network to have access to a select number of devices without having to give them the whole cow.

agame wrote:
I'd love to implement the cameras plugin, but I'm fearful of moving away from the integrated version of Homebridge.

I'm working on that diligently because I really want camera support in HBB. It's likely going to required that the user jump to a terminal to install something to make it work because so far that's the only way I can get it working - but that's a small price to pay I think so it is likely that is where I'm going with it.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 am
agame offline

I'm working on that diligently because I really want camera support in HBB. It's likely going to required that the user jump to a terminal to install something to make it work because so far that's the only way I can get it working - but that's a small price to pay I think so it is likely that is where I'm going with it.

that would be a minor overhead. What I would like to avoid is breaking (or rebuilding) the rest of the system.

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:25 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

agame wrote:
that would be a minor overhead. What I would like to avoid is breaking (or rebuilding) the rest of the system.

Agreed but I'm trying to keep HBB stable at the same time - and end-user-easy because it's main purpose was that if you wanted to really dig deep then install the manual version of HB and if you wanted an easier to manage and zero install version then install HBB. I have to consider that whatever I bake into HBB I also have to support.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 am
Different Computers offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Whole house audio, without needing a Sonos, is so easy with Alexa and it's so easy to tell her to play what I want but her library is so small - and thus why I wanted the HomePod :evil: . Now that's part of my 2018 focus for HA.

You know, I missed this part of your reply before. I am right with you on this desire. Also, I intend to get a HomePod on Day 1 of availability, so do think of me for your beta testing! Especially because I have a large selection of Airplay devices already doing a rough version of whole house audio.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm
roussell offline

A functionality that I would love would be some sort of "reverse homebridge"... Let's say you have a Homekit device that works well in the Apple ecosystem, but has no Indigo connectivity, OR a cloud enabled device that communicates LOCALLY with homekit (which I think is a requirement from Apple). It would be nice if Indigo --through HBB-- could communicate with those Homekit -specific devices.

There is a node application that allows this. I haven't played with it as I don't have any homekit-only devices (yet), but it seems like this would open the door for a lot more Indigo-controlable devices. Here is the node app: https://www.npmjs.com/package/hap-client-tool

Thoughts?

Terry

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:30 pm
durosity offline

Fascinating! I didn’t think that was even possible!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Reverse HB would be great because of presence triggers. But yes, it opens up some other interesting devices to Indigo too.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:03 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

What would be a good example of something that HomeKit supports but Indigo does not?

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm
roussell offline

POLL: Integrated Plugin Request

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
What would be a good example of something that HomeKit supports but Indigo does not?

Bunch of stuff here: https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/

...but... in my mind I was thinking of sensors, thermostats and locks. Some of the cloud-connected thermostats are also Homekit capable so in my mind if you could talk to the tstat via homekit, you wouldn't have to futz around with the cloud portion for regular communication. I'd suspect the same thing would be true of the locks, light switches, and such. I don't know that the node app I referenced is capable of all that, but it seems like a good way to use Apple and Homekit as an additional "hub" to talk to those types of devices - while natively maintaining good Apple-device-control from watches/phones/etc...

Maybe it's a solution looking for a problem, but it sure sounded cool in my head...

Terry
Last edited by roussell on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 am
Londonmark offline

Would be good with Tado for example...

Posted on
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 am

Speaking of reverse HB: http://forum.yeelight.com/t/native-home ... -soon/3437

Using software authentication.

Posted on
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 pm
mssearch offline

Giant +1 on Reverse Homebridge! I'm contemplating a move from my Vista 20P and sensors to the new Lyric Controller (Homekit compatible) which currently would eliminate my ability to use Indigo for sensor based automations. This would not only make the particular transition easier but open the door to complex rule building and automations for all HomeKit devices which are currently fairly limited. Not to mention, I believe this might even be a solution for presence/geofencing for Indigo that is relatively easy to set up out of the box.