HomeKit Bridge Replacement = Priorities?

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:49 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yes should be fine - to run this Homebridge indigo plug-in and another homebridge on same PC
I haven’t completed tested it - but have the plug-in itself running 8 separate bridges (which is essentially what a external homebridge instance) would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by GlennNZ on Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: HomeKit Bridge Replacement = Priorities?

So, wait: Glenn, the python library you are using runs homebridge plugins??? I thought those were written in javascript!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:41 pm
GlennNZ offline

jay (support) wrote:
So, wait: Glenn, the python library you are using runs homebridge plugins??? I thought those were written in javascript!
No. It doesn’t run homebridge plugins

But I believe the question was can you have another non-indigo homebridge instance running as well -
Which the answer is yes. That separate to indigo instance can run whatever plug-in you wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ok - I thought maybe this from your earlier post might have caused some confusion:

GlennNZ wrote:
7rdr7 wrote:
Sounds promising. If not Homebridge, is this plugin moving toward Matter?

No its still homebridge - just not “homebridge” the external running server app that is common and was the basis for the previous plugin. (The one runnning on node.js).

This uses a python 3 library to create a homebridge server all by itself.

Calling what the python 3 library creates "homebridge" isn't really accurate and only leads to confusion. The library creates HomeKit Bridge devices (correct me if I'm wrong here) - which are logically similar to the homebridge software but are not the same. I want to make sure that we keep this clear in everyone's mind because there has been a huge amount of confusion in the past that has caused some ill-will.

In fact, Glenn, would you like me to go ahead and create a subforum for your plugin in your forum? What should I name it? I think it's time that we separate discussion of your plugin from the HomeKit Bridge plugin discussion. A clean start if you will (though I can move this topic over there).

And to further clarify, nobody yet has stepped up to update the HomeKit Bridge plugin to work with python 3 - it would be a very large task.

We are so happy that Glenn has taken this important integration on - I think it's going to be significantly easier to use and more reliable.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:53 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi Jay

You are right there are plenty of confusing cross-over terminology, not helped by using the word homebridge and homekit somewhat interchangably I suspect.

Welcome to open a new sub-forum - in usual spot, as per earlier photos/Teaser post - HomeKit Spawn indigoPlugin.

I'll post some overview there when created, but basically the priority of the plugin is to create HomeKit Bridges that allow all your indigo only devices (like Z-wave, Insteon, Action Groups, Virtual Devices etc) to be accessible and controllable from within HomeKit. (Other devices such as eg. Samsung TV, which you also access in Indigo via a plugin - are likely better supported in a separate homebridge running instance with homebridges own plugin.)

Glenn

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:14 pm
Londonmark online

Glenn

This all sounds great. I don’t suppose there is any possibility of getting communication from non-indigo HomeKit devices into Indigo? Eg I have a Landroid lawnmower that works with HomeKit via Homebridge. Would be great to map it back to Indigo. Ditto a ring doorbell.

LM

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:40 pm
GlennNZ offline

Londonmark wrote:
Glenn
This all sounds great. I don’t suppose there is any possibility of getting communication from non-indigo HomeKit devices into Indigo? Eg I have a Landroid lawnmower that works with HomeKit via Homebridge. Would be great to map it back to Indigo. Ditto a ring doorbell.
LM

This has been asked a few times, and short answer is no - there is no easy path from (have to double think my terminology!) HomeKit back to Indigo. HomeKit doesn't allow bridges to access what is going on in other bridges - only the HomeKit app can access and that is secure/inaccessible.

You could however have a virtual device, action group that through some mechanism (via another indigoplugin, or python script/library/request call) communicates with either of these devices and publishes/spawns that to Homekit via this plugin.

Glenn
Last edited by GlennNZ on Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:48 pm
Londonmark online

Thanks. And yes - have done the virtual device thing a bit but it’s quite clunky.

Posted on
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:36 pm
boisy offline

Hi Glenn,

THANK YOU for working on this. I'm currently using the HomeKit Bridge plug-in and while it works fine for the devices I have, one thing that I really wish it would do (and doesn't appear to) is support Security/Alarm systems.

I'm implementing my own Arduino-based security system that monitors door states and report status over to Indigo virtual devices. It would be great to somehow use Python scripting and Indigo to make a HomeKit compatible security system.

I'll be very happy to help test your work. Thanks again.

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:24 am
durosity offline

I’ve been wondering, would it be feasible to add functionality to combine items like you can in some native HomeKit devices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:52 am
GlennNZ offline

Depends on what you are referring to.

Currently with progress thus far (and very close to Beta just need a name!) can go to HomeKit app select accessories (eg. Light) and go to combine devices within settings for this accessory.

You can then group with a whole lot of other devices (presume they are all lights)
And creates one device

eg.
I have 2 hue bulbs in a standing up lamp (sure there is a technical name for the lamp!)
Grouped together with HomeKit app and on/off, brightness, color all behave the same.

Is that what you mean?
It does seem mainly for Bulbs - on further HomeKit app checking..

Glenn

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:21 pm
Different Computers offline

GlennNZ wrote:
just need a name!

IndiKit
HomeGo
TreeHouse
CiderHouse
PommeKit
CrabHouse
Plum
Plummer
Cobbler

I could explain the names, but if I need to, they’re bad names. :D

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2022 12:15 am
GlennNZ offline

Front runner names…

Homekit Spawn -- apparently bad association, who would have guessed.....
HomeSpawn -- same
HomeKit Siri indigoPlugin (most descriptive)
HomeSpan
HomeLink
HomeLink Siri
SiriLicious
SiriGo

???

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2022 6:06 am
DaveL17 offline

Different Computers wrote:
TreeHouse

This name doesn't describe the plugin at all, but for some reason, I love it.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2022 6:10 am
DaveL17 offline

GlennNZ wrote:
Front runner names…

Homekit Spawn -- apparently bad association, who would have guessed.....
HomeSpawn -- same
HomeKit Siri indigoPlugin (most descriptive)
HomeSpan
HomeLink
HomeLink Siri
SiriLicious
SiriGo

???

HomeLink might be a bit confusing to some, only because of the commercial product of the same name.

What about "HomeKit Link"?

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]