HomeKit Bridge Advantages Over Stable HomeKit Buddy?

Posted on
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:59 pm
Catoctin offline

HomeKit Bridge Advantages Over Stable HomeKit Buddy?

Thank you for access to so much expertise, and especially thank you to C4W for his fantastically useful HomeKit bridges. I have many routine Insteon devices—switches, motion detectors and thermostats that are functioning well in HomeKit (except for maybe one Insteon thermostat with a wrong mode display), thanks to HomeKit Buddy 1.01 in Indigo 7.1.1 on a 2012 MacBook Pro running Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6). The configuration, including a few standard plug-ins like Prowl and the RF one, is very stable. System response time through HomeKit—such as with Siri voice commands to a HomePod, is generally pretty fast, but occasionally a little delayed.

Is there reason to expect upgrading from HomeKit Buddy to HomeKit Bridge would have speed or other advantages that would make it worthwhile to upgrade just this one plug-in? CPU usage in the older Mac would be much more efficient? (I am not using it for hardly anything else than Indigo. The MacBook did have a weird problem of memory or disk space filling up for no reason occasionally, but either rebooting once every several weeks or running CleanMyMacX seems to have solved it.) I am reluctant to rock the boat since my system is stable, but maybe I'm not perceiving some problems due to the older HomeKit Buddy?

Thank you. With sincere, deep gratitude to C4W and the other contributors and the owners and supporters of Indigo,

Bill Convey :)

Posted on
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:06 am
durosity offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Advantages Over Stable HomeKit Buddy?

Afaik there’s no benefits to sticking on HKBuddy rather than bridge, but I’d be surprised if it fixed the delay problem, but there’s only one way to find out.

However one thing to note the author of this plugin has since moved to a different platform and is no longer active here so if it goes wrong you’ll be on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:35 am
Catoctin offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Advantages Over Stable HomeKit Buddy?

Thanks for taking the time to respond and the caution, durosity. I think I will sit tight!

Bill

Page 1 of 1